PDA

View Full Version : How to get volume control on XFCE?

Steve_Corman
March 9th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I am trying to determine how to get a volume control on my XFCE desktop. Synaptic says xfce4-volumed is installed, but there is no "audio mixer" item on any of the add menus for the panels, nor is there anything in the application menus. I tried launching it from a terminal, but nothing happens.

Frogs Hair
March 10th, 2014, 01:23 AM
Install the xfce-goodies package which is not installed by default with the xfce session , log out and in and then check the add to panel menu.

Yellow Pasque
March 10th, 2014, 01:45 AM
I tried launching it from a terminal, but nothing happens.

That means it's running. I think what you are really looking for is xfce4-mixer.

I personally use a package called volumeicon-alsa (though I build my own version from git).

Steve_Corman
March 10th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Installed xfce-goodies, and still nothing in the menus. This is not a huge issue as I found I can launch alsamixer from a terminal and make the adjustments. When I did this it briefly showed a volume icon on the screen, so it's hiding in there somewhere.

In addition I did have a bar at the top with time, applications, logout items. It just appeared during some other things I was doing so I don't know how it got there, and after I restarted it is gone. Any idea how I get that back? Seems to be no option for it in desktop settings. Sorry, kind of an XFCE newbie here--have only used KDE before.

Yellow Pasque
March 10th, 2014, 04:39 PM
What version of (X)ubuntu are you running?
Try this:

sudo apt-get install volumeicon-alsa
killall xfce4-volumed
volumeicon&
Better?

Right-click on the new speaker icon, select preferences, and change

xterm -e 'alsamixer'
to

xfce4-terminal -e 'alsamixer'
You can also adjust the other preferences to your liking.