PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Part of Desktop disappeared after installing HP-LIP

Pepse3
March 8th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Not sure why, but after installing hp-lip the left 1/4 of the desktop is white and the left side of the system tray is gone until I go to desktop2 then I can go to filemanager and internet and even shut down. I have rebooted the computer and when it first gets to the desktop it is 100% filled. Then after about 4 seconds the desktop shrinks; well the left 1/4 disappears. I have been running Lubuntu 13.10 for about a month and no major issues until now. This tower has an nvidia GEForce 8400 GS 1 GB PCI-E card.

Later. Pepse

Pepse3
March 8th, 2014, 09:44 PM
To add more. Now my desktop is shrinking on both sides.

Also, I have 2 hard drives in this tower. 1 with Lubuntu 13.10 and the other with win7 ult. The win7 hard drive is fine as far as video.

walterorlin
March 16th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I think what you should first try is to right click on the desktop and go to desktop prefrences and then change the wallpaper mode to strech to fit entire monitor. Altough maybe check the hard drive integrity with smart tools.

Pepse3
March 17th, 2014, 05:25 AM
The "Wallpaper Mode" is set to "Stretch to fit entire Screen". But I feel that the problem was caused by using my own pictures for the Wallpaper. In fact when I am in Desktop Preferences the only choices I have are what's on my Desktop. The original Lubuntu Wallpaper choices are no longer there.

Pepse.

Pepse3
March 22nd, 2014, 06:17 AM
Still poking around and trying to figure out what my problem is. An observation so far is I went to Monitor Settings and changed the Resolution to 800X600 and clicked Apply and logged out of Lubuntu and when I got to the LOGIN screen the background/Wallpaper was an 800X600 picture from my second Desktop; when I logged out I was in my number 1 Desktop. When I logged back in I was in my Number 1 desktop and there were no changes made. Went back to Monitor settings and it was back to Default Resolution 1280X1024. So I changed it and clicked on SAVE and logged out and back in with no changes. I discovered that if I make changes nothing takes affect. So, I went to ARandR and had a similar situation. I cannot apply or save changes.

Any ideas?

Pepse.

walterorlin
March 24th, 2014, 02:06 AM
If you press control alt f1 you will go to a command line environment where you can log in. Is the white part of your screen still on the comand line part?

Pepse3
March 24th, 2014, 04:11 AM
When going to a command line like that I have a full black screen, except for the command prompt. I never went to a command line that way before, so-o-o how was I suppose to exit? I had to due a CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot. Anyway, I did go to a command line after that (LXTerminal) and it has the shrunken screen like the rest of the desktop.

Pepse.