PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu 13.10

frank18
March 7th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Hi guys; i have installed Xubuntu on my old P4 and so far it runs ok, only have so far one thing to report,
when i boot every time i get to the Desktop i get presented with the Software updater showing up and scanning for updates without being instructed to,see Attachment.

Also i'd like to upgrade to xubuntu 14.04lts there are Beta and Alfa2 choices out there,there i know! what is the best Xubuntu 14.04lts for this old machine.

also i send a attachment pic of the software center repositories, do i have the right ticked boxes or i should change? thanks in advance

spectatorx
March 7th, 2014, 03:54 PM
If i'm not wrong release of final version of 14.04 is scheduled for april 17th and it stands for ubuntu, xubuntu probably will be updated few days later. For this moment you have a choice between alpha, beta and daily builds. Beta 1 is stable enough for home usage (installation of basic software, browsing web, communicators, a/v players, etc), i do not recommend it for advanced users yet as it MAY BE unstable. Do what you think is the best for you.

frank18
March 7th, 2014, 05:34 PM
If i'm not wrong release of final version of 14.04 is scheduled for april 17th and it stands for ubuntu, xubuntu probably will be updated few days later. For this moment you have a choice between alpha, beta and daily builds. Beta 1 is stable enough for home usage (installation of basic software, browsing web, communicators, a/v players, etc), i do not recommend it for advanced users yet as it MAY BE unstable. Do what you think is the best for you.

Thanks a bunch for your Input: i just need it for web browsing and to watch my favorite Tv Live sports Steamings

Also can i install it along side Xubuntu 13.10 and later on if i like it and if it works right, can i delete the 13.10 and keep 14.04? thanks

spectatorx
March 7th, 2014, 08:08 PM
You can install now, for example, xubuntu 13.10 and when 14.04 will be released you will be prompted to upgrade to new LTS (Long Term Support) version and you will be able to do this with one click and a bit of time.

frank18
March 7th, 2014, 09:36 PM
You can install now, for example, xubuntu 13.10 and when 14.04 will be released you will be prompted to upgrade to new LTS (Long Term Support) version and you will be able to do this with one click and a bit of time.

Thanks specttorx; well i just installed Xubuntu 14.04 beta1 and at first was not as easy as 13.10 to install software sinse it comes with very limited software,but after i installed all the needed software i must say that it works preety good and so far no bugs, 13.10 had the bug i mentioned about the update manager showing up at boot time always scaning for updates without being instructed.I also made an Iso of Xubuntu 14.04 Alfa 2 in case i want to try.

spectatorx
March 7th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Good for you ;-)
And about alpha, if beta works ok for you so there is no need to regress to alpha version. Alpha is stage in software development where program or OS is in very early version and is very unstable, in other words: alpha is elder and less stable than beta.

frank18
March 8th, 2014, 01:21 AM
Good for you ;-)
And about alpha, if beta works ok for you so there is no need to regress to alpha version. Alpha is stage in software development where program or OS is in very early version and is very unstable, in other words: alpha is elder and less stable than beta.

Thanks spectatorx i apreciate your tip, that's why i never go to other distro but Ubuntus Range because of the outstand support you have here, Thanks.