PDA

View Full Version : Public media companies

Terracotta
July 22nd, 2006, 05:15 PM
I waswondering how well the public media companies fair when it comes to free formats and the like. In Belgium this kinda sucks ](*,) . the Flamish radio and television company has a vary interactiv and usefull website, but they are quite MS minded, first time the site came online it was IE only it wouldn't even start opening in another browser, you just got a message you needed IE 5 or 5.5 at the time.

Now they use short wmv clips from their news on television, there also are version available in mp4 (but that one has never worked on my pc, wmv worked better, but there's no 64-bit so..., the test .mp4 one the other hand did work :S)).
They also stream "important" a.k.a. popular sports (like Grandslams in Tennis, Tour de France (cycling), football...). But of course this is in .asf format (with wmv as codec I suppose) It took quite some hassle to get it working since the links didn't work, although I had all codecs and multmedia libs installed

You see, it's a public company meaning they get money from the government, their goal should be to reach as many people as possible, so they decided to go full MS and Apple only, creating two solutions, for each platform one, quite disgusting if you ask me. I was wondering if this was better in other countries, I heard the BBC quit working on their ogg-project, but at least they tried...

Edit: looooots of typos :-#