PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can't set higher resolution - GMA 3100/Proscan HD TV

Ookami_Creed
March 5th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I have been searching for a long time for a solution to setting my resolution to my favorite (1280x960) resolution. It seems that I need to get direct help to suit my exact graphics and TV, otherwise I will just be wasting my time and wrecking my OS.

I am running Xubuntu 13.10 64bit (dual boot with Windows 7). I have a GMA 3100 (not a x3100) integrated graphics with a Proscan 32" HD TV that I use for a monitor due to it VGA hook ups. Better than my ancient tube monitor which I no longer have. I have tried all kinds of solutions to get my resolution higher with no luck. I am stuck at 1024x768 which is completely unacceptable.

This problem along with my new wireless driver (which I won't go into on this thread) not working without complicated terminal commands is about to make me give up on Linux as a whole. At the end of the day the wireless drivers for it worked for 20 secs then stopped. So old Belkin wireless adapter it is for now...

P.S. My installation is completely fresh. No changes made. Figured I ask for help before giving up on it.

mikewhatever
March 5th, 2014, 10:16 PM
What exactly do you mean by stuck? Aren't there other resolution options? What happens when you try switching to a higher one?

Ookami_Creed
March 5th, 2014, 10:25 PM
What exactly do you mean by stuck? Aren't there other resolution options? What happens when you try switching to a higher one?

When I say stuck, I mean I can only go lower. There is nothing higher than 1024x768.

These are my options:

1024x768
800x600
848x480
640x480

Ookami_Creed
March 6th, 2014, 08:06 PM
If it helps any to figure out the problem, I have Intel open source drivers installed so it's not the graphics, it's the TV. Most likely not recognized. Any possible way to force it to go higher (1280x960) would be great. All Linux OS do not allow higher resolution. All I really need is some way for Xubuntu to recognize the TV, or someway to force it to accept higher resolution.

Why I know it's the monitor is straight forward. It allowed higher resolution on my old CRT monitor with this same computer, but does not with this TV used as a monitor.

mikewhatever
March 7th, 2014, 04:00 PM
You could try adding an undetected resolution with xrandr. The method is not too user friendly, but is still woth checking out for the lack of any better options.

frank18
March 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I think the problem is the tv, try other HD tv