PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No system sounds

Marvel0169
March 5th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Hello everyone, I am a newbie of Linux world and I approached it via Ubuntu 13.10. I am happy to be with you. I hope you have patience with a newbie like me.:)

Eventually, after obvious hardware problems, I have an old pc, with celeron 2GHz, 1Gb ram, hdd 150 Gb, I gave up and switched from ubuntu 13.10 to xubuntu 12.04LTS and everything has improved.

First of all the performance videos are now normal and smooth, then the audio now works for "almost" everything. I can hear the music CDs, movies, youtube, audio files but I still can not hear xubuntu system sounds, like the sounds of windows so to speak.
I tried to follow these guidelines (in italian language),
http://www.xfce-italia.it/index.php?topic=1726.0, and, finally, I managed to create two files in the folder Xsession.d, but I had to give the command
sudo leafpad / etc/X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules, otherwise the file was created in the X11 folder and not in Xsession.d folder, however I was wrong because now I have the two files in X11 folder and in Xsession.d folder ...
I checked again these steps (translating by Italian, I hope readable in English):
1) "then go into dconf editor / org / gnome / desktop / enable sound event sounds and sound feedback and theme ubuntu".

2) "in settings-editor settings xsetting / net / soundthemename ubuntu".

3) retried the command "play / usr / share / sounds / ubuntu / stereo / desktop-login.ogg" and confirm that the sound you hear.

4) controlled canberra that were installed with the command sudo apt-get install canberra and the result was that everything was already in place and there was nothing to install.

However, the system sounds still do not feel ...
Any idea, please?

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 5th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums.

This link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2156763&p=12702910&viewfull=1#post12702910) still works for me. Can you confirm that you have all items completed? Also make sure that the System sounds are turned up in pavucontrol.

Marvel0169
March 5th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Hi Toz, thanks for your reply! I completed the items listed in my post, but in your link there are more that I have not completed. This afternoon I will try soon to follow all your suggestions!!

Many thanks, ciao!

Marco

Marvel0169
March 6th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Hi Toz, well, yesterday I tried to follow the instructions of the link you suggested.

Step 1) ok, done.

Step2) points 1 and 2 ok.
point 3: - xsettings/net/SoundThemeName = (a name of a sound theme - they are located in /usr/share/sounds)
I am confused: when I go in the line as above, right click on the right side of the highlighted line it open a windows with a path. I must write just "Ubuntu" or I must to coplete the line as: /net/SoundThemeName/ubuntu or /net/SoundThemeName/ubuntu/stereo (the sounds are in a folder called "stereo" inside the ubuntu folder)?

Step 3) ok, done.
gksu mousepad /etc/X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-module

I wrote "sudo leafpad....." I think is the same for the final results...
Step 4) Create a login sound event by command line:
leafpad ~/.xprofile

Then I add the line: "canberra-gtk-play -V 0.1 -f </path/to/login/sound/file> &". I wrote this path: /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/namefile.ogg. It is right?

"Then make that file executable": I must to give the command: "chmod +x ~/.xprofile" by the command line again?

Step 5) ok, done, but not sounds....:(...

Many thanks for all your help and be patience please, I am a beginner in Xubuntu environment and the command line is practically unknown coming from a Windows environment.
I hope that what I have written above is understandable.

Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 6th, 2014, 09:28 PM
point 3: - xsettings/net/SoundThemeName = (a name of a sound theme - they are located in /usr/share/sounds)
I am confused: when I go in the line as above, right click on the right side of the highlighted line it open a windows with a path. I must write just "Ubuntu" or I must to coplete the line as: /net/SoundThemeName/ubuntu or /net/SoundThemeName/ubuntu/stereo (the sounds are in a folder called "stereo" inside the ubuntu folder)?
Just the one word of the theme name. So in your case, "Ubuntu" (no quotes)

Then I add the line: "canberra-gtk-play -V 0.1 -f </path/to/login/sound/file> &". I wrote this path: /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/namefile.ogg. It is right?Yes, looks right.

Step 5) ok, done, but not sounds....:(...

Can you post back the results of the following commands:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/EnableEventSounds
xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/EnableInputFeedbackSounds
xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName
ls -l /usr/share/sounds/$(xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName)
cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules
cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk3-module_add-to-gtk-modules
cat ~/.xprofile
ls -l ~/.xprofile

Have you adjusted your "System Sounds" volume?
Have you rebooted?

Marvel0169
March 7th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Hi Toz, thanks for you reply! I will do as you suggest soonest.

Have you adjusted your "System Sounds" volume?

Yes, I checked by pulseaudio. When I move the left/right slides in the output devices tag I hear sounds, as "click-clock", but they are the only sounds I heard...:(

Have you rebooted?

Yes....but no positive results....

I will report you the results of your directions. :)

Many thanks!! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 7th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Yes, I checked by pulseaudio. When I move the left/right slides in the output devices tag I hear sounds, as "click-clock", but they are the only sounds I heard...:(
Then it works.

The issue that you are going to run into is that there really aren't any good Xfce sound themes. According to the canberra implementation (https://gitorious.org/libcanberra/mainline/source/ac5ac9e486aa33f7be0cd9ddd315c03780676795:src/canberra-gtk-module.c#L3), only the following sound effects are supported:

/*
We generate these sounds:
dialog-error
dialog-warning
dialog-information
dialog-question
window-new
window-close
window-minimized
window-unminimized
window-maximized
window-unmaximized
notebook-tab-changed
dialog-ok
dialog-cancel
item-selected
link-pressed
link-released
button-pressed
button-released
menu-click
button-toggle-on
button-toggle-off
menu-popup
menu-popdown
menu-replace
tooltip-popup
tooltip-popdown
...meaning that you need to have those files in your /usr/share/sounds/SOUND_THEME/stereo folder.

Try using this (https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfyk05r4y8qog2c/usr_share_sounds_borealis.tar.gz) sound theme instead. Its one that I've been working on that's based on the original Borealis theme (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=12584) that complies better with freedesktop sound spec (http://0pointer.de/public/sound-naming-spec.html) and the canberra implementation of it. Its not perfect, but it has many more sound effects.

Marvel0169
March 7th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Hi Toz, okay, I will try all you suggested and I will report the results.

Many thanks for all your help!! Ciao!):P

Marco

Marvel0169
March 7th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Hi Toz, these the results of commands:

TRUE

TRUE

ls -l /usr/share/sounds/$(xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName)
ls: impossibile accedere a /usr/share/sounds/default: File o directory non esistente

cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules
if [ -z "$GTK_MODULES" ] ; then
GTK_MODULES="canberra-gtk-module"
else
GTK_MODULES="$GTK_MODULES:canberra-gtk-module"
fi
export GTK_MODULESmarco@marco-desktop:~$

cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk3-module_add-to-gtk-modules
if [ -z "$GTK_MODULES" ] ; then
GTK_MODULES="canberra-gtk-module"
else
GTK_MODULES="$GTK_MODULES:canberra-gtk-module"
fi
export GTK_MODULESmarco@marco-desktop:~$

cat ~/.xprofile
canberra-gtk-play -V 0.1 -f /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/service-login.ogg &marco@marco-desktop:~$

ls -l ~/.xprofile
-rwxrwxr-x 1 marco marco 84 mar 5 18:30 /home/marco/.xprofile

What do you think about?
Many Thanks!

Ciao.

Marco

Toz
March 7th, 2014, 07:44 PM

This one is incorrect. Change it to the name of the theme that you want. For example, if you are using the freedesktop sound theme, change it to read freedesktop. To make the change, use the Settings Editor in the Settings Manager.

Marvel0169
March 10th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Hi Toz, thanks for your reply! Ok, I will set as you suggest. I downloaded Borealis sound theme also, but I could not to istall it in
/usr/share/sounds/. I unpackaged Borealis in docoments and after I tried to move it to /usr/share/sounds/ but it doesn't work....
Which is the command by command line to set Borealis in the right place, please?

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM
/usr/share/sounds is a restricted area on your hard drive - you need root access to copy the files there. Try this command:

sudo cp -r Borealis /usr/share/sounds
...from the directory where Borealis was uncompressed.

Marvel0169
March 10th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks a lot Toz, I will try soonest :) !

Ciao!

Marco

Marvel0169
March 10th, 2014, 06:39 PM
/usr/share/sounds is a restricted area on your hard drive - you need root access to copy the files there. Try this command:

sudo cp -r Borealis /usr/share/sounds
...from the directory where Borealis was uncompressed.

Hi Toz, well, surely I could be wrong this time also! Now the situation of Borealis is as follow:
File system/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo...etc...

Now how can I delete Borealis folder and install it correctly? I have the uncompressed Borealis in "home". Follow the path: marco/documents/Borealis/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo...etc...

Many thanks for your help and patience. Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 10th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Try:

sudo cp -r /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo /usr/share/sounds/Borealis
sudo mv /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/usr /tmp
...and on next reboot, /tmp will be cleared.

Marvel0169
March 13th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Hi Toz, well, I done, now Borealis is in the right place...:).

I checked whith command xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName and the results is always "default".

I check also setting editor xsettings/net/soundthemename...etc and I tried to set borealis. When I click on soundthemename a windows opened and i tried several times to set as follow, /net/soundthemename/borealis/stereo or net/soundthemename/borealis or only borealis (not permitted this last test) but no sounds however.
Now I have two "SoundThemeName": one as soundthemename/borealis/stereo (stereo has "true" in his right side);
another as soundthemename/borealis/stereo whit Soundthemename has "default" in the his right side.

Sincerely I am really confused....

Any ideas...?

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 14th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Hi Toz, well, I done, now Borealis is in the right place...:).

I checked whith command xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName and the results is always "default".

I check also setting editor xsettings/net/soundthemename...etc and I tried to set borealis. When I click on soundthemename a windows opened and i tried several times to set as follow, /net/soundthemename/borealis/stereo or net/soundthemename/borealis or only borealis (not permitted this last test) but no sounds however.
Now I have two "SoundThemeName": one as soundthemename/borealis/stereo (stereo has "true" in his right side);
another as soundthemename/borealis/stereo whit Soundthemename has "default" in the his right side.

Sincerely I am really confused....

Any ideas...?

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

First, run this command to set Borealis as the sound theme:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName -s Borealis

Secondly, can you post back the results of this command:

ls /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/*

Marvel0169
March 14th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Hi Toz, thanks for your help.
Results of "xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName -s Borealis": none, no results or system message.

Results of "ls /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/*"

button-pressed.ogg dialog-warning.ogg Startup1_1.ogg
button-toggle-off.ogg Exit1_2.ogg Startup1_2.ogg
button-toggle-on.ogg install.sh Startup1_3.ogg
desktop-login.ogg K3b_success.ogg system-ready.ogg
desktop-logout.ogg Knock.ogg trash-empty.ogg
desktop-switch-left.ogg Kopete_status.ogg uninstall.sh
desktop-switch-right.ogg message-new-instant.ogg window-close.ogg
device-added.ogg phone-incoming-call.ogg window-maximized.ogg
device-removed.ogg phone-outgoing-busy.ogg window-minimized.ogg
dialog-error.ogg README window-unmaximized.ogg
dialog-information.ogg service-login.ogg window-unminimized.ogg
dialog-question.ogg service-logout.ogg

Next step?

Thanks a lot! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 14th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Hi Toz, thanks for your help.
Results of "xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName -s Borealis": none, no results or system message.
What does the following now return:

Results of "ls /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/*"

Please run these commands:

sudo mkdir /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo
sudo mv /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/*.ogg /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo

frank18
March 15th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Hello everyone, I am a newbie of Linux world and I approached it via Ubuntu 13.10. I am happy to be with you. I hope you have patience with a newbie like me.:)

Eventually, after obvious hardware problems, I have an old pc, with celeron 2GHz, 1Gb ram, hdd 150 Gb, I gave up and switched from ubuntu 13.10 to xubuntu 12.04LTS and everything has improved.

First of all the performance videos are now normal and smooth, then the audio now works for "almost" everything. I can hear the music CDs, movies, youtube, audio files but I still can not hear xubuntu system sounds, like the sounds of windows so to speak.
I tried to follow these guidelines (in italian language),
http://www.xfce-italia.it/index.php?topic=1726.0, and, finally, I managed to create two files in the folder Xsession.d, but I had to give the command
sudo leafpad / etc/X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules, otherwise the file was created in the X11 folder and not in Xsession.d folder, however I was wrong because now I have the two files in X11 folder and in Xsession.d folder ...
I checked again these steps (translating by Italian, I hope readable in English):
1) "then go into dconf editor / org / gnome / desktop / enable sound event sounds and sound feedback and theme ubuntu".

2) "in settings-editor settings xsetting / net / soundthemename ubuntu".

3) retried the command "play / usr / share / sounds / ubuntu / stereo / desktop-login.ogg" and confirm that the sound you hear.

4) controlled canberra that were installed with the command sudo apt-get install canberra and the result was that everything was already in place and there was nothing to install.

However, the system sounds still do not feel ...
Any idea, please?

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Funny i did the other way around, i have also an old Dell P4 2.0 ghz cpu 1ghz ram, I had Xubuntu 12.04lts and updated to Xubuntu 13.10 Beta and i notice difference for better.

Marvel0169
March 15th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Hi Toz, here the results for the command you suggested:

Borealis

mkdir: impossibile creare la directory "/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo": File gią esistente
(mkdir: impossible to create directory "/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo": File already exists)

mv: impossibile eseguire stat di "/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/*.ogg": File o directory non esistente
(mv: impossible to perform stat of "/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/*.ogg": File or directory does not exist)

Many many thanks for your help! I waiting for next steps...

@frank18:
Funny i did the other way around, i have also an old Dell P4 2.0 ghz cpu 1ghz ram, I had Xubuntu 12.04lts and updated to Xubuntu 13.10 Beta and i notice difference for better.

I do not know whether it is better to go for me to update to Xubuntu 13.10, I think my pc is quite old....or not...?

What kind of improvement did you notice from Xubu 12.04 to xubu 13.10, please?

Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 15th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Hi Toz, here the results for the command you suggested:

Borealis
Good.

mkdir: impossibile creare la directory "/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo": File gią esistente
(mkdir: impossible to create directory "/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo": File already exists)

mv: impossibile eseguire stat di "/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/*.ogg": File o directory non esistente
(mv: impossible to perform stat of "/usr/share/sounds/Borealis/*.ogg": File or directory does not exist)

This doesn't make sense based on your last reply. What does the following return:

ls /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo

And finally, what does this return:

env | grep GTK

Marvel0169
March 15th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Et voilą:

marco@marco-desktop:~$ ls /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo

marco@marco-desktop:~$ env | grep GTK
GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module:canberra-gtk-module
marco@marco-desktop:~$

Returns in blue. Usually I copy and paste as for your commands.
In standby for new commands, captain!;)

Many thanks!

Marco

Toz
March 15th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Everything looks fine now. Do you have sounds? If you click on the Xfce menu you should hear a click sound (or try minimizing and maximizing a window). If not, check the volume level of "System Sounds" from your sound indicator (or by running "pavucontrol" in a terminal window).

Marvel0169
March 15th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Hi toz, unfortunately I have no sounds.:( I hear sounds like "click-clock" when I move slides control outputs device in pulseaudio controls; I hear a sound when I do a forbidden action, so a windows open and I hear the "action denied" sound.
I heard only this two sounds....

Sounds system in pulseaudio control panel is at 153%, at maximum level, but I don't hear sounds when I move slide control volume.

No sounds when minimize or maximixe windows.

Maybe some codec or driver lost or to reinstall...?

Many thanks!!

Marco

Toz
March 15th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Hi toz, unfortunately I have no sounds.:( I hear sounds like "click-clock" when I move slides control outputs device in pulseaudio controls; I hear a sound when I do a forbidden action, so a windows open and I hear the "action denied" sound.
I heard only this two sounds....
So you do hear sounds and it works.

Sounds system in pulseaudio control panel is at 153%, at maximum level, but I don't hear sounds when I move slide control volume.Slide controls don't have associated sound events. Recall from post #7 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209372&p=12949521&viewfull=1#post12949521) of this thread that only certain events are supported by sound as per the canberra implementation.

No sounds when minimize or maximixe windows.
This is odd. You should hear a brief sound when it does. Do either of the following commands play a sound that you can hear?

canberra-gtk-play -f window-minimized.ogg
canberra-gtk-play -f window-unminimized.ogg
...the sound is very brief. Also try this one for comparison's sake:

canberra-gtk-play -f desktop-login.ogg
...it is much longer.

Marvel0169
March 17th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Hello Toz, I understand (finally...;))
Sounds system in pulseaudio control panel is at 153%, at maximum level, but I don't hear sounds when I move slide control volume.

Slide controls don't have associated sound events. Recall from post #7 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209372&p=12949521&viewfull=1#post12949521) of this thread that only certain events are supported by sound as per the canberra implementation.

I give commands as you suggest...Unfortunately I confirm no sounds, these the results of commands:

marco@marco-desktop:~$ canberra-gtk-play -f window-minimized.ogg
Failed to play sound: File or data not found
marco@marco-desktop:~$ canberra-gtk-play -f window-unminimized.ogg
marco@marco-desktop:~$ canberra-gtk-play -f desktop-login.ogg

Next steps captain?

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 17th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Sorry, forgot the full path. Try these:

canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo/window-minimized.ogg
canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo/window-unminimized.ogg
canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo/desktop-login.ogg

Marvel0169
March 17th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Wow!! In this way they works right!!

What is the problem in this case?

Thanks, ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 17th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Wow!! In this way they works right!!

What is the problem in this case?

Thanks, ciao!

Marco

When you minimize a window by clicking on the minimize button in the title bar, do you hear the /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo/window-minimized.ogg sound?

And the same for the maximize sound?

What is the Volume level of "System Sounds" in pavucontrol? Is it unmuted?

To get the desktop login sound to work, change your ~/.xprofile file to read:

canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo/desktop-login.ogg &
...and on login, does the sound play?

Marvel0169
March 17th, 2014, 08:12 PM
This is really odd. As I said before no sound when I minimize or maximize windows. I heard sounds by command line, follow commands you told me.

Even now I heard login sound when I give canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo/desktop-login.ogg & command. But then no other sound...

In pavucontrol, reproduction tag, the system sound volume is at 153%, 11dB....but no sounds when I move the sound slide;
instead, even in pavucontrol output tag, when I move the two volume slides I hear a "click-clock" sound....
In "configuration" tag, I selected "digital stereo (IEC958) output". Is it right?

To get the desktop login sound to work, change your ~/.xprofile file to read:

...ehmm...You should to give to me a step by step instructions to change ~/.xprofile... Sorry, my ability is very low whit xubuntu environment....

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 17th, 2014, 08:57 PM
In pavucontrol, reproduction tag, the system sound volume is at 153%, 11dB....but no sounds when I move the sound slide;
instead, even in pavucontrol output tag, when I move the two volume slides I hear a "click-clock" sound....
In "configuration" tag, I selected "digital stereo (IEC958) output". Is it right?
What other options do you have there? Can you play music or get sound from youtube videos on your system?

...ehmm...You should to give to me a step by step instructions to change ~/.xprofile... Sorry, my ability is very low whit xubuntu environment....
First:

leafpad ~/.xprofile
Then change the command and save the file.
Finally, log out and back in again.

Note: if you get an error when trying the leafpad command, try instead:

mousepad ~/.xprofile

Marvel0169
March 17th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Hurrą!! Now login sound works! I modified the ~/.xprofile file as you suggested. But no other system sounds.

What other options do you have there? Can you play music or get sound from youtube videos on your system?

Yes, this is the oddness. I can play music from cd or usb key or from youtube videos but no system sounds...

Maybe are we take a good way to solve this trouble?

Many thanks Toz! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 18th, 2014, 12:38 AM
As a sanity check, can you post back one more time:

ls -l /usr/share/sounds/$(xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName)/stereo
env | grep GTK

Marvel0169
March 18th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Ok Toz, this afternoon I will try commands you suggest, then I'll let you know.
Many thanks!

Marco

Marvel0169
March 18th, 2014, 05:45 PM
hi Toz, below the results of the commands:

marco@marco-desktop:~$ xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/EnableEventSounds
true
marco@marco-desktop:~$ xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/EnableInputFeedbackSounds
true
marco@marco-desktop:~$ xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName
Borealis
marco@marco-desktop:~$ ls -l /usr/share/sounds/$(xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/SoundThemeName)/stereo
totale 2960
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8357 mar 11 18:39 button-pressed.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10284 mar 11 18:39 button-toggle-off.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10120 mar 11 18:39 button-toggle-on.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 447104 mar 11 18:39 desktop-login.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 227654 mar 11 18:39 desktop-logout.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10120 mar 11 18:39 desktop-switch-left.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10284 mar 11 18:39 desktop-switch-right.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10120 mar 11 18:39 device-added.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10284 mar 11 18:39 device-removed.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40703 mar 11 18:39 dialog-error.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11652 mar 11 18:39 dialog-information.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 52026 mar 11 18:39 dialog-question.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16193 mar 11 18:39 dialog-warning.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 225536 mar 11 18:39 Exit1_2.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4630 mar 11 18:39 install.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 278722 mar 11 18:39 K3b_success.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24192 mar 11 18:39 Knock.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29711 mar 11 18:39 Kopete_status.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30409 mar 11 18:39 message-new-instant.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 84820 mar 11 18:39 phone-incoming-call.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48009 mar 11 18:39 phone-outgoing-busy.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7782 mar 11 18:39 README
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17274 mar 11 18:39 service-login.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14573 mar 11 18:39 service-logout.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 397380 mar 11 18:39 Startup1_1.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 408878 mar 11 18:39 Startup1_2.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 413931 mar 11 18:39 Startup1_3.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41886 mar 11 18:39 system-ready.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8869 mar 11 18:39 trash-empty.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2860 mar 11 18:39 uninstall.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11114 mar 11 18:39 window-close.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10120 mar 11 18:39 window-maximized.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11114 mar 11 18:39 window-minimized.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10284 mar 11 18:39 window-unmaximized.ogg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11439 mar 11 18:39 window-unminimized.ogg
marco@marco-desktop:~$ env | grep GTK
GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module:canberra-gtk-module

Now?

Thanks a lot! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 19th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Everything looks right. I'm sorry but I don't know why the sounds aren't working for you.

Marvel0169
March 19th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Hi Toz, I see. It is no a standard situation and is no even possible to adjust everything... We have tried!

Just a question, for my personal curiosity: The ~/.xprofile file has allowed us to make the login.ogg sound audible.
If I add to ~/.xprofile file all the sounds of Borealis/stereo folder, whit the same syntax (canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo/nnnnnn.ogg &), do you think this might work and allowed to make all the sounds audibles?

Last curiosity....maybe a silly question: why ~/.xprofile file allows to hear login sound?

Thank you endlessly for all your help and patience!!!

Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 19th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Just a question, for my personal curiosity: The ~/.xprofile file has allowed us to make the login.ogg sound audible.
If I add to ~/.xprofile file all the sounds of Borealis/stereo folder, whit the same syntax ([COLOR=#000000]canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/Borealis/stereo/nnnnnn[/SIZE].ogg &), do you think this might work and allowed to make all the sounds audibles?
No, that won't work. It will just play them all sequentially, which isn't what you want.

Last curiosity....maybe a silly question: why ~/.xprofile file allows to hear login sound?
When you log in, the .xprofile file, if it exists, is run. By putting the command to play the sound in that file, the sound is played.

Marvel0169
March 20th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Hi Toz, many thanks for your explanations! :P

Well, yesterday I emailed the author of Borealis, and maybe there is a sense for non working Borealis in xubuntu environment; this is his reply:

Thanks for your interest. I actually haven\'t been using *-look.org site for so long that I had to reset my password. The theme has been designed for KDE 3.x series, so the installer will not work for anything else. You may still be able to install it on other window managers but you will have to assign sounds manually.

Hope this helps!

If I understand I must to create a new set of sounds. How can assign sounds manually? If it could work could also be useful for someone else...I think...

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 20th, 2014, 03:25 PM
If I understand I must to create a new set of sounds. How can assign sounds manually? If it could work could also be useful for someone else...I think...
I don't think the issue with your setup is the sound theme - I think there is something else going on that is preventing the sound from playing. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what it is.

There is no easy way to assign sounds manually. The only method that I know of is to put sound files in a theme's stereo folder using names as per the freedesktop sound spec (http://0pointer.de/public/sound-naming-spec.html) using only names that are supported by the libcanberra (https://gitorious.org/libcanberra/mainline/source/ac5ac9e486aa33f7be0cd9ddd315c03780676795:src/canberra-gtk-module.c#L3) implementation. Which is what was done with the modified Borealis theme that you tried (which I know works because it works on a number of systems that I have installed it in).

Marvel0169
March 21st, 2014, 10:50 AM
Hi Toz, I am agree whit you, I hear cd, youtube videos, radio streaming without problem, so, maybe, the problem is in my Xubu installation. It is no a big problem, all the rest works fine. It would have been nicer whit sounds also but I'll try to survive...;). I set desktop sounds theme once again but still does not work....

I very appreciate you helps and your patience. Many thanks again.

Oh, if you have an idea for test again, let me know, please and we'll see what happens.

Ciao!

Marco

Toz
March 22nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
One more thought....

Do you have at-spi2-core installed?

apt-get cache policy at-spi2-core

If not, can you install it:

sudo apt-get install at-spi2-core
...reboot, and try again?

Marvel0169
March 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Hello Toz, no, I haven't at-spi2-core. This afternoon I'll install it and I let you know.

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Marvel0169
March 24th, 2014, 05:55 PM
One more thought....

Do you have at-spi2-core installed?

apt-get cache policy at-spi2-core

If not, can you install it:

sudo apt-get install at-spi2-core
...reboot, and try again?

I Toz, I checked and I have already at-spi2-core at the most recent version....
Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Marvel0169
March 25th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Hi Toz, yesterday I rediscovered an old video card, GeForce 3 max...etc, I installed it in place of Savage 4 and the graphic are very improved.
So I thought, if I could put a sound card maybe I could have the same effect... My pc has an ASUS P4S800D mother board: wich kind of sound card could I to install on it? I thought to a Soundblaster (Creative Soundblaster 5.1 or Creative Soundblaster Audigy, or some other...).
Could you suggest me which one, please? Maybe on ebay I could to find a cheap sound card...

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Marvel0169
April 6th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Hello guys, well, finally I have xubuntu system sounds and login and logout sounds! HURRAAA!!=d>\\:D/.

I follow this usefull guide by Gianlic on a linux italian forum: http://www.istitutomajorana.it/forum/Thread-Xubuntu-attivare-suono-Login-e-Logout

Now all works fine!

Many thanks to all! Ciao!

Marco