PDA

View Full Version : Zenity: Using login dialog to set variables

aFoxNamedMorris
March 5th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Hi. I am trying to write a shellscript that will use Zenity to create a login dialog, and pass the user input to variables... but it keeps crashing the script. I am fairly good with shellscript itself, but I am just starting out in Zenity...

This is the part that is messing with me:

#!/bin/sh

USER="USERNAME"
PASSWD="PASSWORD"

`zenity --password --username "$USER" "$PASSWD"`

case $? in
0)
echo "User Name: `echo $USER | cut -d'|' -f1`"
echo "Password : `echo $PASSWD | cut -d'|' -f2`"
;;
1)
echo "Stop login.";;
-1)
echo "An unexpected error has occurred.";;

echo $USER
echo $PASSWD
esac

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT>>: It's not actually crashing, but rather on reading the output from the terminal, Zenity is not setting the variables. Please help.

Vaphell
March 5th, 2014, 02:21 PM
you need to capture the output and cut the string on '|' which you didn't do. You run zenity but don't do anything with it other than checking its exit code.
btw, you really shouldn't use a variable name like $USER. It's taken, you are overriding env variable of the shell. By convention they are all caps and variables user scripts should have at least 1 lowercase char to avoid collision.

switch to more convenient bash and go with something like this

IFS='|' read user pw < <( zenity --password --username )
echo $?
echo $user $pw

also backticks `` are deprecated and $( ) should be used instead

aFoxNamedMorris
March 5th, 2014, 11:21 PM
you need to capture the output and cut the string on '|' which you didn't do. You run zenity but don't do anything with it other than checking its exit code.
btw, you really shouldn't use a variable name like $USER. It's taken, you are overriding env variable of the shell. By convention they are all caps and variables user scripts should have at least 1 lowercase char to avoid collision.

switch to more convenient bash and go with something like this

IFS='|' read user pw < <( zenity --password --username )
echo $?
echo $user $pw

also backticks `` are deprecated and $( ) should be used instead

Thank you! This worked perfectly!