PDA

View Full Version : intro, glad I found ubuntu

artie3
March 5th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum, I hope Ubuntu continues to be developed and improved.

I learned about Ubuntu back in early December when my newly purchased Dell laptop refused to run Windows 8, the supplied os. Dell was useless and I quickly became discouraged and gave up trying to run Windows 8. Them a friend gave me a copy of Ubuntu on a cd. It changed my life!! Running off the cd was slow and it wouldn't do any fancy stuff due to lack of third party software, proprietary drivers and codecs. Eventually I did an install from the CD to a usb 3.0 enabled flash drive. After I loaded up all the software and drivers and major utility programs, Ubuntu ran well off the usb flash drive, but it was still a little sluggish.

Eventually, I learned how to move the log file and the tmp files into ram instead of allowing the os to write them to the usb drive. And, I learned how to use ext4 formatting with journaling turned off...Ubuntu ran even faster! Next, I learned about preload, which keeps a record of the programs I use and loads them into ram so they start quicker when needed. I did some other minor enhancements to the usb installation in order to minimize the write cycles to the usb flash drive.

Despite the fact that my Ubuntu os runs in a usb drive, it runs circles around my old XP windows system, it doesn't hog ram (even with preload enabled). I'm sold on Ubuntu!!!

I'm currently fighting with Dell over a warranty repair, but as soon as I get my computer fixed, I am going to try a dual boot system (Windows 8 and Ubuntu). I don't really need windows much, but I have 2 minor programs which I need Windows 8 for. Eventually, my plan is to use Windows 8 without allowing it to connect to the internet, for security and preservation of my privacy. Ubuntu really opened my eyes with regard to security and privacy issues...I've seen the light. GO OPEN SOURCE/UBUNTU!!!!

I'm thinking that many users would drop windows like a hot potato and switch to Ubuntu IF they only realized it was free, doesn't need a firewall, doesn't need virus scanner, runs fast without hogging ram and the vast majority of the software is open source!! I certainly won't use windows with an internet connection now that I realize the benefits of using Ubuntu!

My wife has been watching my progress with Ubuntu, she's just about ready to dump the brand W os even though she has a laptop supplied by her employer!! She is a mid level manager and has been thinking about converting the whole department over to Ubuntu, which would save her employer BIG BUCKS!!

Thanks to all who make Ubuntu and this forum possible.

Artie

PS:Anyone wanna buy a new version Microsoft Office? Now that I have Ubuntu and OpenOffice, I have no use for Microsoft Office!! Email me off list if you're interested in the software.

robin7
March 5th, 2014, 02:21 AM
Congratulations! It's a really awesome feeling when you first use it and find how much faster and easier it is than Windows, even on a brand new computer! I remember that wonderful feeling! It never gets old. Welcome to the wonderful world of Ubuntu Linux!

artie3
March 5th, 2014, 03:28 AM
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I had a few technical issues with Ubuntu, but in every single instance google found the answer in 20 minutes or less!!! And, the desktop interface is simple and intuitive-I am continiously amazed by the simplicity of the system!! And it just keeps runnin' just like the Energizer Bunny!!!

In my google searches, I often see posts in the forum, so I decided to join today.

I am thinking of making a donation to the Ubuntu movement, I BELIEVE IN DOING MY SHARE!! If I can't donate technical ability (and I can't), I'll be deciding how to channel a few $$ into the Linux movement. The next time I have to buy an OS for a new computer, I'll either build the computer myself or buy one from a vendor who doesn't mandate a Windows OS as a term of the sale (as Dell does). So, eventually, Linux will save me $$. And the security and privacy Ubuntu provides will be a bonus!!

Have a great day and a better tomorrow.

Artie

Linuxratty
March 6th, 2014, 03:19 AM
Let us know if she manages that..it would amuse us greatly.:D

sammiev
March 6th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Welcome artie3, Glad to hear you made a bad experience into a good one. Hope the ending is even better.

pretty_whistle
March 6th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Glad you found ubuntu! :)

I too have found ubuntu and have had nothing but good to say about it. I've had mine for 2 and 1/2 years and never even got a virus in it. Can't beat that for good news! :-D

craymore
March 6th, 2014, 10:44 PM
i'm new to the forums and am glad there will be those that may help me. i need help all the time irc is a very insufficient place for help for me.

Sincerely,

Arthur H. Rosene III

mastablasta
March 7th, 2014, 07:58 AM
actually Dell is one of Ubuntu supporters and ships some of it's laptops with Ubuntu preloaded.

artie3
March 7th, 2014, 08:17 AM
actually Dell is one of Ubuntu supporters and ships some of it's laptops with Ubuntu preloaded.

An interesting statement.....but so far Dell has seen fit to DENY Warranty Coverage to me because I booted to UBUNTU on a flash drive!! Sure wish I could make contact with someone at Dell who knows something about ubuntu.

See my post here for more details:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209409

If Dell is supporting Ubuntu, I don't think they'd be denying me warranty coverage and accusing me of using an 'unauthorized' operating system. Please tell me more about Dell's support for ubuntu::>

Regards,

Artie

artie3
March 7th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Let us know if she manages that..it would amuse us greatly.:D

I'll keep the group posted regarding her workplace departments changeover to Linux. She has a high end work supplied Dell laptop with an I7. My Dell laptop is a low end Inspiron 15 running from a flash drive. We both booted up at the same time yesterday evening...I was able to boot and establish a connection with Skype while she was still waiting to finish booting!! Believe me, she wasn't impressed with the brand W OS!!! Her department is due for new computers next year so she's watching my transition to linux very closely!!!! Tonight she came home from work and asked me for an update on my ubuntu operational status!

She's also seen the Hell that Dell has put me through with my new laptop* ....and I suggested she try other vendors for computers for her workplace. I think she's going to buy a Lenovo model for her own personal use...just to play with Linux herself!!

Go UBUNTU and open source!!!

*see the post at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209409 for more details regarding Dells denial of Warranty repair for my new Dell laptop

john_burns2
March 7th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Strange you should mention Dell... I came across an article the other day where Dell are charging customers to install Firefox (something most people can do for free in about ten minutes) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26465203

david98
March 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Also read this I could not get to grips with 2 things 1 charging for open source software which is freely available to download and 2 10 min to install a browser I would hate my ISP if it took that long to download it only takes a min top to set up so do it in 2

pretty_whistle
March 7th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Strange you should mention Dell... I came across an article the other day where Dell are charging customers to install Firefox (something most people can do for free in about ten minutes) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26465203
What a rip off. It's amazing what some people will do........