PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub segmentation fault after upgrade to 13.10

David_Witham
March 5th, 2014, 01:37 AM
After upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10 grub now segmentation faults when I tried to write the new config:

# grub-install /dev/sda
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Path `/boot/grub' is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is impossible. Aborting.

This is an EFI system if that makes a difference.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 909G 20G 844G 3% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev 3.9G 12K 3.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 790M 1.4M 788M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 3.9G 544K 3.9G 1% /run/shm
none 100M 44K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/sda1 95M 487K 95M 1% /boot/efi

I ran boot_repair and it removed and reinstalled a heap of grub related packages but it didn't fix the problem.

I can manually boot the new kernel from the grub advanced options (the old kernel is incompatible with some newer drivers) so I don't think its the kernel thats the issue.

Any ideas?

thanks,
David

fantab
March 5th, 2014, 08:00 AM
After upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10 grub now segmentation faults when I tried to write the new config:

# grub-install /dev/sda
Path `/boot/grub' is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is impossible. Aborting.

This is an EFI system if that makes a difference.

I ran boot_repair and it removed and reinstalled a heap of grub related packages but it didn't fix the problem.

If you ran Boot-Repair [BR], then didn't you note/save the Bootinfo Summary? If you did then post it here.
But if you didn't then run BR again and only 'create a Bootinfo Summary'.... note the web url where the bootinfo is located and post it here.

Since you have an EFI System Partition [EFI] then Grub should be installed there (ESP) and not on /dev/sda, which by the way, is the default location for MBR systems.
And I think it is this which is causing 'segmentation fault'.

However, BR should have fixed this by re-installing grub-efi... let's see that Bootinfo.