PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Black screen after GRUB - Cant try or Install

AlwaysRemind
March 4th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Hey guys! I have Windows 8 and I'm trying to dual boot with Ubuntu. However, I can't even seem to boot into Ubuntu. Earlier I was able to make an installation on a thumb drive with no problem. Now all of the sudden I just get a black screen after I select Try or Install. I made a different USB image and I'm still getting the same problems. Secure boot is disabled, fast boot is disabled, and UEFI is still enabled.

I would really appreciate some help. I've tried a few different things and nothing seems to be working for me. When I hit 'e' here's what it says

setparams 'Try Ubuntu without installing'

set gfxpayload=keep
linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed cdrom-detect/try-usb=true no prompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

I tried to add nomodeset before quiet splash and that didn't work either. I would really appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thank you so much!

Note: I'm just wondering if the whole /cdrom part is normal, even if this is on a thumb drive? Sorry I'm brand new to Ubuntu/Linux!

SOLUTION- found here (http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/09/install-ubuntu-linux-alongside-windows.html)

I was able to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 8 (UEFI) with Fast Boot disabled and Secure Boot Enabled. When Secure Boot was disabled I could see the GRUB menu but my screen would just go black after selecting 'Try' or 'Install'. So I renabled it and was able to move right past it.

So what ended up working for me was first using UNetbootin and enabling Secure Boot. By doing this I was not only prompted by GRUB I was able to Install Ubuntu. It didn't recognize my Windows 8 OS so I had to select 'Something Else'. I anticipated this so I shrunk my C drive (I only have one hard drive with no extra partitions other then the recovery ones) and gave myself about 200 gigs for Ubuntu. Once I got to the partition selection, I found the empty space and made the following partitions:

Logical 50gig (EXT4) - mounted to "/"
Logical ~134gig (EXT4) - mounted to "/home"
Logical 16gig (SWAP)
** Also to make sure that both / and /home are selected to format

I left the destination for the bootloader to be "/dev/sda"

Once it was complete I tried it out to see which OS would boot, if any, and if GRUB would display. It didn't show GRUB. In fact it went straight to Windows 8 like nothing happened. Apparently this was a good thing though so I followed the guide again and put the thumb drive back in and restarted.

This time choose the Live version and run the boot repair:
1) Open up a terminal
2) sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
2) sudo-apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)
3) I selected Recommended repair (I also had a pop-up about EFI and just clicked past it)
4) I left everything default regardless of the warnings and let the repair complete.

Once it was finished I restarted and was happy to see GRUB. I do have a lot of different entires in it instead of just Windows 8 and GRUB, but I'm able to boot into both of them perfectly fine.

AlwaysRemind
March 4th, 2014, 10:59 AM
UPDATE: So I had a strange idea to not only make a new bootable USB using UNetbootin but to also enable Secure Boot. For whatever reason it finally decided to cooperate with GRUB and the installation screen seemed to work. It didn't detect my Windows 8, but from what I'm reading that seems normal. I'm following this (http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/09/install-ubuntu-linux-alongside-windows.html) tutorial and it seems to be cooperating so far. I guess we'll see once it's all said and done. I'll update the post when it's complete!