PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Reinstalling kubuntu (general question)

bjngchn
March 3rd, 2014, 11:02 PM
Several times some version of kubuntu died for no reason. Then I try to reinstall some (same or different) version of kubuntu on the same computer. Last time I tried it gave error in software and grub steps without reason. It says something like "this part of installation failed". Maybe software part is not important but grub part seems to be important. Can previous OS's affect whether disk can be formatted completely with another version of kubuntu or any other OS? If X version was installed sucessfully before but screwed later because of soft changes (no hardware change), can the same version be installed successfully second time for sure?

sudodus
March 3rd, 2014, 11:10 PM
Please give more details! We can only guess about your problem with such a general description. You will make it easier for us to help if you

1. Describe the computer hardware

- brand name and model
- CPU
- RAM (size)
- graphics chip/card
- wifi chip/card

2. Run the boot-info script and post the address to the pastebin.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info

bjngchn
March 3rd, 2014, 11:31 PM
I'm just asking 2 general questions (copied from above): (assuming there is enough hardware ) 1. Can previous OS's affect whether disk can be formatted completely with another version of kubuntu or any other OS? 2. If X version was installed sucessfully before but screwed later because of soft changes (no hardware change), can the same version be installed successfully second time for sure? ..............Questions are about any computer, any previous installation, any new installation. There are 4 possible short answers. Yesyes, yesno, noyes, nono. I was thinking until recently, answers would be noyes. After seeing strange things happening I suspect maybe the correct answers would be just the opposite.

sudodus
March 3rd, 2014, 11:47 PM
1 - No. at least it is possible to wipe the first megabyte of the drive and make a new partition table.

2 - Yes.

But if you manage to damage the hardware, it might not work.