PDA

View Full Version : Window XP Will be Lay to Rest Forever

Khakilang
March 3rd, 2014, 04:49 AM
Received this! I have skip Window XP SP1 to SP2 and skip SP3 and head straight to Linux. Now that it is going to lay to rest forever. This will be a good opportunity for Linux.

ian-weisser
March 3rd, 2014, 04:58 AM
I suppose so, if we really want a bunch of late-adopters who are thoroughly imprinted on the XP way of doing things.
To me, it sounds rather a whiny support nightmare. "Ugh, why can't Linux just run my .exe? Where is the Registry? I don't want to rewrite my .bat files! Why doesn't my wireless work?"

I think members of this market who were open to Linux switched long ago. The rest, for one reason or another, are not.

My sole remaining XP machine, for example, runs software that is simply not available for Linux at my desired price. When it's time to get dragged kicking and screaming away from XP, that machine will be replaced by a Windows 7 or Windows 9 box that can run compatible software.

monkeybrain20122
March 3rd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Received this! I have skip Window XP SP1 to SP2 and skip SP3 and head straight to Linux. Now that it is going to lay to rest forever. This will be a good opportunity for Linux.

Someone is already working hard on it.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174725&page=22&p=12945180#post12945180

bashiergui
March 6th, 2014, 01:59 AM
This will be a good opportunity for Linux.
Nope. This will be a good opportunity for botnets. There will be an epic pwnfest.

electrohandyman501
March 6th, 2014, 04:44 AM
My sole remaining XP machine, for example, runs software that is simply not available for Linux at my desired price. When it's time to get dragged kicking and screaming away from XP, that machine will be replaced by a Windows 7 or Windows 9 box that can run compatible software.

Don't feel bad. I VM'd my 2 xp machines at home, and at work I have still have my old xp workstation on-line because of an older HP plotter and Ideal b-print scanner that are not Win7 compatible, nor are they intended to become compatible. Planned obsolecense at it's finest.