PDA

View Full Version : We need a well supported device

Warpnow
March 2nd, 2014, 08:43 PM
The Nexus line from Google got me thinking this. Ubuntu Desktop needs a "flagship" device that is 100% supported, as a proof of concept to show users and developers that it is a viable system. I think something similar to the Acer C720P with 720 HD touchscreen, 8 hours of battery, dual core cpu, could be perfect. As Ubuntu is not a cloud OS we need more than a 32gb SSD most likely.

What do you guys think? I think a true proof of concept device that is very well supported is what Ubuntu on the desktop really needs right now.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
March 2nd, 2014, 09:43 PM
a 32gb ssd is sufficient for 64bit ubuntu, given you don't need a media library on the device, you actually could get by with 16gb

ian-weisser
March 3rd, 2014, 12:14 AM
Ubuntu Desktop needs a "flagship" device that is 100% supported, as a proof of concept to show users and developers that it is a viable system.

This made sense in 2009 or so...and occurred.

Dell famously sells Ubuntu systems. Including a high-end "developer" laptop since 2012.
Several smaller companies in the US and Europe sell fully-supported hardware with Ubuntu pre-installed.
Canonical maintains a list of hardware partners and fully-hardware-supported models by them.

I'm not sure what a flagship would do. I think the buzz has moved on from desktop.

help_me2
March 3rd, 2014, 04:01 AM
Linux doesn't need a "flagship" device. It needs more support from hardware manufacturers. But if there was a flagship device, (more like a flagship company) it would have to be System 76 who makes Ubuntu computers that are fairly high spec.

varunendra
March 3rd, 2014, 08:31 AM
I beg to differ a bit from both standpoints. And my opinion is based on what I keep experiencing mainly with wireless devices, but also some very basic things like touchpad, bluetooth and even compatibility with some generic USB devices.

I completely agree that we do need to pick 'flagships' from time to time and always maintain them as flagships. They don't have to be ancient systems, on the contrary, they should be picked from modern ones - already available models or ones assembled from selected parts.

However, that is something that can not be done by Canonical/Ubuntu or any other distributor/distribution alone. From my very limited knowledge, I believe it is mainly the job of the kernel and driver developers to take care of the fact that once a device is picked up in such a "Green" list, then make sure to do anything but break compatibility with it.

For instance, the wireless chip "AR9170" is listed as "Fully Compatible" on the community wiki page of Supported Devices (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported). But I have personally helped on threads where it needed tweaks/workarounds/firmware from an external link etc. just to make it work. Almost same is the story with AR9285 card - a really good one. There are many other chips (modern ones) from Atheros, Realtek, Intel, Broadcom that were very well supported upto kernel 3.2 (some upto 3.5). I could call them outstanding at one time. However, now is the time when as soon as I see any kernel version between 3.8 to 3.11, I immediately know that no matter what we try, in the end we are going to compile a driver from kernel 3.12 or 3.13 to get a 'Decent' performance again.

Companies do sell models that are well supported For a particular version (even though they don't say that, we know what often happens with upgrades). But I don't think any of them can ever guarantee that it will remain fully compatible with newer releases or newer kernels. Who's responsible for that? Certainly the Hardware vendors can't be blamed for that. Think of users who bought their machines thinking everything will "Just work" and keep working. An update (recommended one) occurs and things happen to tell them otherwise. Some of them don't even know how to seek help, and others who do, certainly didn't buy a 'Supported System' to waste their time fixing it.

With examples like these, I strongly feel that the developers (I usually use the word "we", but I can't here) do need to keep a "Green" list, and make sure whatever they do doesn't break compatibility with the relevant items in that list.

I'm not saying that the developers/distributors haven't thought of this simple thing, and this should be easy to do. But whatever the hurdles are, this is something that needs to be done and maintained, but unfortunately, hasn't been achieved yet.

lykwydchykyn
March 3rd, 2014, 04:13 PM
Seems better to give people a choice of devices that are tested and verified to work with Ubuntu, rather than a single model. Sort of like how this works:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/

endlessinstant
March 4th, 2014, 02:32 PM
The very first model of the Acer C7 Chromebook came with a traditional platter drive, 500 GB IIRC. This was a very popular device to mod because of the storage capacity and because the RAM and HDD were easily upgraded by the end user. I believe the point is fair, a low cost device that could be pushed into stores as a competitor to Windows (and Chrome OS I suppose) and would be a showcase for Ubuntu as a platform would be a good idea. I've read dozens (hundreds?) of testimonials over the years of people configuring a Linux build for their computer-illiterate friends and talking about how well said friends adapted to the environment but that doesn't address the issue of installing a new OS being kind of a scary thing for people who aren't well versed in computers. I'm sure Ubuntu would be an excellent platform for several people in my immediate family, but they wouldn't be getting anywhere near it unless I do it for them myself. Getting a low cost device to market would provide a good avenue to get people like this on the platform. Canonical could even bundle initial tech support subscriptions with the devices as a way of encouraging potential customers to purchase continued support after their trial period.

grahammechanical
March 4th, 2014, 04:23 PM
We had the opportunity to get such a "Flagship" device. It was called Ubuntu Edge. And we saw just how costly it is to bring products to market.

ventrical
March 4th, 2014, 04:53 PM
In my humble view I see that Ubuntu has moved on from the flagship phaseology and has taken up the more intrepid 'fleet' mentality. Let's face it. Ubuntu is a fleet, more like an admiralty that can service several different form factors from cycles past to cycles present. Ubuntu has moved past the 'edge' mindset and has decided to focus more on perfecting the current and polishing the past. A 'flagship' set is not realistic in two senses; 1. that it would be uneconomic and; 2. That Ubuntu is already ruling the waves like an armada of ships forming an impermeable steel wall to stifle the competition.

On a percentage basis, miniscule hardware panics due to vintage produced offsets will not (and should not) affect Ubuntu's current course to global dominance in the open source community . Besides , from my research on the floor and working with real time clients, they don't mind upgrading to the newer hardware if need be. But this, however, is not a real issue as the other Ubuntu flavours and spins do more than their level best to resurrect derelict PCs from the scrapheap. Ubuntu is the Linux for Human Beings. At this stage of the game it is unstoppable. Ubuntu is not about Canononical and Mark Shuttleworth only. It is about all of us, here, this group and this community with Mark and Canonical as part of the community. This is what makes Ubuntu so unique.

So ... the topic - we need a well supported device-?. The USB flash drives that I have with made in Ubuntuland isos on it are extremely well supported.

Regards..