PDA

View Full Version : Desktop shortcut to web sites

auntclauds
February 28th, 2014, 03:15 AM
A couple of years or so ago I had ubuntu netbook remix, I think it was called. Anyways it had a feature where I could click from the desktop (or inside one of the side tabs) and get directly to sites on web. I could somehow easily favorite a site and it would go there. Where is this in 12.04?

Frogs Hair
February 28th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Hello and Welcome

With 12.04 it's possible to drag and drop the site logo to the desktop I don't think drag and drop works with versions after 12.04 . Remix was the first version of Unity and I never used it so can't comment.

auntclauds
February 28th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Hello and Welcome

With 12.04 it's possible to drag and drop the site logo to the desktop I don't think drag and drop works with versions after 12.04 . Remix was the first version of Unity and I never used it so can't comment.

OK. Great! Now any help with icons not showing in the url bar? They do show in the tab but cannot drag from their. The icons did show up in the url when used live but once installed, gone. Thanks.

auntclauds
February 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM
OK. Great! Now any help with icons not showing in the url bar? They do show in the tab but cannot drag from their. The icons did show up in the url when used live but once installed, gone. Thanks.

I figured out to first bookmark into toolbar; then drag to desktop. Except just get a "link to" square with no icon or site identification. This is so simple I am missing it.

howefield
February 28th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Do you mean you get something like this..

If so, right click on the desktop icon and select properties, you will then be able to click on the icon within the properties window and navigate to the one you want to use.

auntclauds
February 28th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Do you mean you get something like this..

If so, right click on the desktop icon and select properties, you will then be able to click on the icon within the properties window and navigate to the one you want to use.

This is getting me closer but not quite right. When click on icon I am taken to files which do no have any icons, let alone the site gravatar. Man, it was so easy before and I can't imagine it being this difficult. I feel like I am missing something. Software to download to make a site become, with a click, a shortcut in the home folder or on desktop? Thank you.

Frogs Hair
February 28th, 2014, 08:44 PM
You can use any icon you choose ,but you have find download and save them to a folder and then you can navigate that folder. Most sites have a logo of some type if not many. The link in the picture tool under a minute to rename and add an icon from a folder.