PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Kubuntu 13.10 desktop has no task bar or menus

oygle
February 26th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Did a fresh install of 13.10 Ubuntu, added kubuntu-desktop, everything working okay (basically). Rebotted and Kubuntu desktop shows the wallpaper, and there is no taksbar, menus or apps showing, so I can't do anything in Kubuntu.

Have been able to use Unity (not a user friendly desktop), by Ctrl-Alt-F4 , login and then enter startx

What log files should I check to fix this desktop problem please ?

Also, I need to know what are the keys that I can use in Kubuntu/Unity to drop down to shell and then exit from the shell ("exit" doesn't work).

oygle
February 27th, 2014, 10:37 AM
What log file would contain the error/s for not displaying the taskbar or menus ??

There is not even an option in Unity to shutdown, no "gear/cog" or username, nothing.

oygle
February 28th, 2014, 07:29 AM
This (https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7332/12829332184_49f0fb4e06_z.jpg) is what I see under Kubuntu, only the mouse pointer. No options, no menus, no applications, no gear/cog to show username. All I can do is Ctrl-Alt-F4 and then login and enter startx.

Then Unity comes up. :(

evan8
February 28th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Does right click do anything?

oygle
March 1st, 2014, 10:39 AM
Does right click do anything?

No, unfortunately. Even when I login and run Unity, there is no shutdown/restart/logout options, no username, nothing. But I did learn how to do it with shell commands. The best I can do with this is to wipe everything (after backup of course) and do a fresh install of Kubuntu. I think by installing Ubuntu and then adding kbuntu-desktop, something is amiss.

I don't think I have any proprietary drivers loaded either.

oygle
March 3rd, 2014, 10:34 AM
Backed up everything, deleted partitions, created new partitions, and then installed Kubuntu 13.10

Now I have a nice "functioning" desktop again. Everything working fine. :D