PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] After install Welcome/Tips/Tutorials/Navigation/Help Screen

nichollsjeffrey
February 25th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I'd really like to a screen after you've installed a fresh Ubuntu flavour that requires a box to be unticked to stop it popping up after system boot. The screen would consist of the best places to get help/tips with your particular flavour of ubuntu whether it be how to get on the IRC channels with a recommended program to use such as xchat (perhaps make that install by default?) so that someone of low experience who's 83 doesn't have to spend 8 weeks asking his 13 year old son who installed ubuntu over his now non update supported Windows XP how to use this new crazy modern day operating system properly (make believe but possible scenario). Include links in the screen to tutorials/forums of how to find info on installing software not included by default in the software sourse or even explain that you can actually do that & that you aren't bound by the software's offered in the Ubuntu Software Centre. Maybe have a live interactive part that takes you around showing you general settings, saying oh did you know that you can do this, you can find hotkeys here & change them here, here are the ubuntu/xubuntu/edubuntu/lubuntu forums/irc channels. Then once the persons content & happy they can untick the box to make it stop popping up because they can now navigate this new alien os but then they know if they need to view this screen again in the future they can find it in the system settings.

I strongly believe this will better welcome & keep a wider group of users to ubuntu &/or its derivatives, I know many friends whom have tried ubuntu to quickly get rid of it as they are too scared, angry, impatient to take the time to learn the new operating system in which I can't blame them because they don't know where to find the information to help them learn the system better, which is why having such an addition to the operating systems as the "Welcome/Tips/Tutorials/Navigation/Help Screen" in the system settings or somewhere easily accessible will lure more of the unadventurous or less savvy/impatient persons into the Ubuntu environments.

I was struggling to remember my better ideas for this at the time, I may post them in underneath or edit them in under this in the future.

TheFu
February 25th, 2014, 04:18 PM
http://help.ubuntu.com/
man man (or run xman).

Hook up the F1 button inside the WM config to launch either of those. Remember that F1 = Help on other OSes, right?

Seems that we forget these all too often, even on these forums.

grahammechanical
February 25th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Remember, for every apparent good idea that pleases you there will be ten to twenty other people who will hate such a thing that you suggest.

Another thing to remember is that with Free and Open Source Software development the best and often only way to change things is to become actively involved in development of the project. Even then, you will find that there are other developers whose opinions carry more weight than yours simply because they have done more work on the project than you have.

Are you offering to start this project to bring about what you suggest? Or do you expect someone else to do all the work?

Are you seriously asking me to believe that a man who was 70 years old fathered a son? It is possible but how often does it happen? And how often would 83 year old people be installing Ubuntu?

who's 83 doesn't have to spend 8 weeks asking his 13 year old son

Every thing new and different requires learning. It is the ability to learn that proves that we are still alive.

nichollsjeffrey
February 26th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Thanks for your opinions Mr. Negative. Please don't bother to further comment unless it's actually helpful. Did you not read the hypothetical part? It was an example not something that I saw happen.