PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] PCManFM: File selection with mouse cursor

MM360
February 24th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Hello everybody, I'm new to Linux so my question may be quite stupid but I can't find an answer anywhere. Also, I'm Italian, so my English sucks, please be patient (I can't ask for help on the Italian ubuntu forum, they're not very helpful). I've been using Lubuntu 13.10 for a few days now, everything is finally working, but I have a problem with multiple files selection. If I use the detailed list view, anytime I try to select more than one file using the mouse cursor, let's say to delete them, the first file does not get selected. The selection always starts with the second file. Is this normal on Lxde? Or even on Linux in general? Have i messed up something?
Thank you for your help.

sudodus
February 24th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

You can select multiple files in many selecting windows and in the file browsers, but not in all selecting windows.

One way to select is the press the control key while you mouse-left-click on the next file. Another way is to press the shift key while you click the arrow down key.

In icon view (not detailed list) you can mark a rectangle (with the mouse) and select the file icons inside that rectangle.

There are probably more methods ... use the one that is best for you!

MM360
February 24th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Thank you for your help, but i'd like to use the mouse for selecting files. Also I can't get used to the icon view, I've been trying for the past 25 years, I just can't. I should have mentioned that I'm talking about browsing files with PCManFM file manager. Maybe it's just a bug of this particular file manager.

Rex Bouwense
February 24th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I also use the detailed list view and the methods that sudodus described work quite well. If I want to move or delete multiple files I click the first and then hold the Shift key while I click the last. Then right click the group and do whatever I want with the group. That is my favorite and is obviously quite easy.
By the way your English is fine, a lot better than my Italian.

sudodus
February 24th, 2014, 04:32 PM
1. Select by pressing the control key while you mouse-left-click on the next file. This way you can select several files that are far apart in the list

2. Select by holding down the left mouse button and drag the mouse. This way you can select several files that are adjacent in the list (neighbours).

MM360
February 24th, 2014, 05:32 PM
1. Select by pressing the control key while you mouse-left-click on the next file. This way you can select several files that are far apart in the list

2. Select by holding down the left mouse button and drag the mouse. This way you can select several files that are adjacent in the list (neighbours).

1. Works quite nicely, I didn't know about this possibility of selecting non-adjacent files. Thank you.

2. This is my original problem, dragging the mouse does not select the first file. It's not a big problem, but it's quite annoying when I have to select files starting from the top of the folder, the first one is always excluded, after I'm done I have to come back and repeat the operation for the first file in the folder.

SeijiSensei
February 24th, 2014, 05:33 PM
If you use Ctrl-Click on the first file, it will be selected just like the others.

MM360
February 24th, 2014, 05:43 PM
If you use Ctrl-Click on the first file, it will be selected just like the others.

No... does not work, even using Ctrl before clicking, the selection starts from the second file.

MM360
February 24th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Nevermind guys... I just installed Thunar and it works perfectly. A bit heavier but apparently more reliable. I'm going to use this one whenever I need to do more than just browsing. Thanks to all of you for helping me with this issue.

sudodus
February 24th, 2014, 07:20 PM
You are welcome :-)

Please click on Thread Tools at the top of the page and mark this thread as SOLVED