PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft subsidiary starts shipping linux based (Android) phones

mastablasta
February 24th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Well, well... how the mighty have fallen :-)

apparently Nokia X models are Android preloaded. They made it look like windows phone and pushing their MS services, but still. Microsoft shipping hardware with linux OS preinstalled. Goes to show how much they believe in their software and operating system of the future.

:lolflag:

Jonor
February 24th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Even PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2100760/nokia-hopes-android-and-microsoft-will-help-sell-lowend-smartphones.html), a usually pro-Microsoft news site, makes no effort to cover over this, further wondering where MS Office would be with this !

SeijiSensei
February 24th, 2014, 05:13 PM
From reading the PC World piece, it sounds like Nokia is positioning these phones in the same emerging markets that the Firefox phone from Mozilla (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26316265) targets.

Why is this thread marked [SOLVED] when there is nothing to solve?

The Cog
February 24th, 2014, 05:42 PM
By my understanding, MS has not yet completed the purchase of the Nokia phone business.
It will be interesting to see what MS does with the Android line when the takeover is complete.

I have read that these Nokia Androids don't give access to the Play Store, and that they have a very ugly interface.

Jonor
February 24th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Why is this thread marked [SOLVED] when there is nothing to solve?

Methinks you play daft laddy to problemo numero uno :P

SeijiSensei
February 24th, 2014, 11:33 PM
Well if you think this announcement "solves" that problem, perhaps I can interest you in a bridge....

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 24th, 2014, 11:54 PM
By my understanding, MS has not yet completed the purchase of the Nokia phone business.
It will be interesting to see what MS does with the Android line when the takeover is complete.

I have read the same thing about the takeover not being complete; therefore, it is not a subsidiary yet. I agree that it will be interesting what Microsoft does later. I am glad I didn't buy one.:)

monkeybrain20122
February 25th, 2014, 12:18 AM
I think Skype uses Linux servers.

mastablasta
February 25th, 2014, 07:40 AM
it's not complete yet? but it's been almost a year... an d so far the've thrown everything they have in Windows phone.

well as i udnerstand it they've made it look like windows phone and filled as much as possible with their services. it will be possible to use google play.

well emerging markets... i doubt they can pay the price and if they cna they canalso afford other phones. Lumia also had a range although more expencive.

to compete with firefox phones? they too announced new smart phones for 25USD (or is it GBP). in any case to compete in "emerging" markets you need to have a good phone that is cheap to be able to compete with chinese manufacturers.

it's marked as solved because there is no option for interesting. :-P

su:bhatta
February 26th, 2014, 06:18 AM
it's marked as solved because there is no option for interesting. :-P

:) Nice one Mastablasta !
Maybe they will have custom Markings for Cafe threads

I for one, got rid of Nokia some 3 years back and settled for Samsung with its Bada OS phone, still using it.
I like to keep my phone for the 'phony' purposes

Got tired of Nokia using the high end sets like N96, N79 and the problems that came with the Symbian OS.
Last really good Nokia phone I used was 6630, wish I still had that one

didn't change to Android inspite of all the hullabalu...
Wife has one android and I must say I dont like it very much.

Maybe I am waiting for Ubuntu Touch :)

mastablasta
February 26th, 2014, 08:04 AM
i still have nokia 3000 something. i only use ti for SMS and phone. it doesn't even have a camera but batery lasts a week. if i can get a new battery i will get it. the phone works just fine.

smart phones - still too expencive for me. also i see too many applicaitons need to know your exact location, want access to phone numebrs etc. i mean why do games need exact GPS location or access to address book?! ridiculous. no privacy. my kids have a tablet...

anyway just read yesterday that Nokia sold their phone to Finnish government which were quite impressed with the build and also the windows phone OS seems was ok with them. and the phones then passed various information from users to Microsoft who passed it on to NSA. nice, really nice... at least all their calls were backed up.

estamets
March 5th, 2014, 03:07 PM
i still have nokia 3000 something. i only use ti for SMS and phone. it doesn't even have a camera but batery lasts a week. if i can get a new battery i will get it. the phone works just fine.

smart phones - still too expencive for me. also i see too many applicaitons need to know your exact location, want access to phone numebrs etc. i mean why do games need exact GPS location or access to address book?! ridiculous. no privacy. my kids have a tablet...

anyway just read yesterday that Nokia sold their phone to Finnish government which were quite impressed with the build and also the windows phone OS seems was ok with them. and the phones then passed various information from users to Microsoft who passed it on to NSA. nice, really nice... at least all their calls were backed up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. Do you realize how much crap I get when I pull out my clamshell Casio Gzone?

Full disclosure. I DO have a Motorola Razr M for work. To be honest, I have used the GPS function because I was lost. I like android the OS, I really really hate the fact that I have all these crap apps that I don't use. Zappos.com? Honestly I didn't know what that was.