PDA

View Full Version : I just crashed WinXP with Notepad

K.Mandla
July 22nd, 2006, 06:26 AM
Good grief. I'm so glad I'm not latched to this OS any more.

(By the way, never try to open a deb file with Notepad. That way madness lies.)

theconley
July 22nd, 2006, 06:30 AM
I have found that Notepad is one of the most unstable programs under windows. Try doing a find and replace on a decent sized file, on something that appears 100 times. Except on a new machine, it will likely crash it.

~Conley

GuitarHero
July 22nd, 2006, 06:30 AM
Im tied to windows right now. Ubuntu doesnt work with my network card so Im stuck until I find a windows user to trade network cards with.

OffHand
July 22nd, 2006, 07:49 AM
Im tied to windows right now. Ubuntu doesnt work with my network card so Im stuck until I find a windows user to trade network cards with.You can buy a network card for a few dollars/euros :rolleyes:

BTW, I use Notepad all day at work and it never crashed. I do not try to open deb files with it though.

GuitarHero
July 22nd, 2006, 07:51 AM
Wireless network cards run at least 40 bucks.

Derek Djons
July 22nd, 2006, 07:52 AM
I was writing like I don't know how much lines of text but I stopped.... did a ctrl+a and hit the DEL button. I'm really so tired of anti-windows and whatnot.

croak77
July 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM

Why were you opening a .deb with notepad? :-k

OffHand
July 22nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Fair enough. But spending 40 bucks to use your favorite distro isn't too bad either.

K.Mandla
July 22nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Why were you opening a .deb with notepad? :-k
It was an accident, I swear. I downloaded the Inkscape 0.44 deb and was copying it to a USB drive so I could take it home.

I was dragging it between windows and the mouse button flickered. It dropped into Notepad and suddenly the entire system froze up. I couldn't even open the task manager to kill it. I had to reboot with the reset switch.

Sorry if the anti-Windows threads are a drag. I didn't mean to bash, I just thought when Notepad brings down the whole system it's ... noteworthy. :lol: \\:D/

Everybody loves a pun!

PatrickMay16
July 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
One time I opened a binary file in gedit and it crashed the x server.

bruce89
July 22nd, 2006, 04:28 PM

Generally not a good idea to open binary files in a text editor. gedit now warns you if it can't open it.

Notepad is quite useless anyway, it can only cope with Windows line endings, and no highlighting in sight (not that useful usually).

PatrickMay16
July 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Generally not a good idea to open binary files in a text editor. gedit now warns you if it can't open it.

Notepad is quite useless anyway, it can only cope with Windows line endings, and no highlighting in sight (not that useful usually).

I didn't do it on purpose. I was double clicking on a wav file, and then just before the second click Nautilus decided that it was a plain text file and opened it with gedit rather than the program I have set for media files.

bruce89
July 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
I didn't do it on purpose. I was double clicking on a wav file, and then just before the second click Nautilus decided that it was a plain text file and opened it with gedit rather than the program I have set for media files.

I wasn't accusing you of doing it deliberately.

jpkotta
July 22nd, 2006, 04:52 PM

No, they don't. I got this one last year and it worked fine (I haven't used it since last summer). I used NDISWrapper to get it going.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833156141

PatrickMay16
July 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
I wasn't accusing you of doing it deliberately.
Whoa! Calm down, man. I didn't say that you were. I was just letting you know exactly what happened.

YourSurrogateGod
July 22nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
How the hell do you manage to crash XP with Notepad? There's something else wrong with your system that you're not aware of.

YourSurrogateGod
July 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
Well, if you ask me -- with the exception of it capable of handling only Windows line endings -- that simplicity is the beauty of it.

Horizon
July 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Well, if you ask me -- with the exception of it capable of handling only Windows line endings -- that simplicity is the beauty of it.
No...It really isn't. If you want simplicity, go grab a real notepad and a pen. The only thing notepad is good at is working with windows to do stupid things like hang a perfectly good three-point-something ghz system with 2gigs of ram for stupid amounts of time. And take over the cpu when i'm just opening a text editor...it's not life and death and I see no reason it should be ALLOWED to use up so much cpu. I'd rather wait 10 minutes to open a text file than wait 5 with an unsusable system.

I find wordpad to be a bit better than notepad although it's only a tiny bit better at handling line endings. The only problem is that it is uselessly overcomplicated and has a stupid menu design. Really...if they would just rewrite notepad and add a few decent options, there would be no need for wordpad.

Iandefor
July 22nd, 2006, 06:18 PM

(By the way, never try to open a deb file with Notepad. That way madness lies.) ROFL!

I didn't know deb files could do that... hmm... fun!

apollo1900
July 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Open a dos prompt, type "edit".

picpak
July 22nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Opening .deb's and binary files with Notepad? That's like opening Nautilus with a media player. Of course it will crash.

Horizon
July 22nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
Opening .deb's and binary files with Notepad? That's like opening Nautilus with a media player. Of course it will crash.Yeah but the point is the application should just freeze-up and NOT the system.

DoktorSeven
July 22nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
Meh. I don't need something as fancy as Notepad to crash Windows.

Just booting it up is usually sufficient ;)

YourSurrogateGod
July 22nd, 2006, 11:03 PM
No...It really isn't. If you want simplicity, go grab a real notepad and a pen.
I take it that you have the same feelings about nano and mousepad when it comes to evaluating them based solely on their features?

The only thing notepad is good at is working with windows to do stupid things like hang a perfectly good three-point-something ghz system with 2gigs of ram for stupid amounts of time. And take over the cpu when i'm just opening a text editor...it's not life and death and I see no reason it should be ALLOWED to use up so much cpu. I'd rather wait 10 minutes to open a text file than wait 5 with an unsusable system.
Post the stack trace from the crash. If you ask me, notepad is not to blame here, something else if fudging up your system.

YourSurrogateGod
July 22nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah but the point is the application should just freeze-up and NOT the system.
Yep. I've had apps crash on me in Windows, but rarely the system went down due to an app (to be frank, I don't remember the last time I did that in XP.)

Horizon
July 23rd, 2006, 12:34 AM
I take it that you have the same feelings about nano and mousepad when it comes to evaluating them based solely on their features?

There's a difference between doing as little as possible to help make the tasks that it is used for easier and simplicity. What you call features I call basic functionality. If you need to completey strip out functionality to achieve simplicity of the interface then you're incompetent. The aim of interface design _is_ functionality believe it or not. It seems the codemonkies have learnt new words like "simplicity" and "usability" but most still don't have a clue what they're doing...

Your argument about nano makes no sense. Command-line functionality is completely different because of the restrictions. And Mousepad seems to be what the next version of notepad should be like. At least with Mousepad I don't have to actually click on a line to see its number and (apparently) mousepad also has some support for indentation. Mousepad is still extremely crippled (like xfce) but it's at least a tiny (tiny tiny) bit more helpful and seems to be more aware of its target audience.

Yep. I've had apps crash on me in Windows, but rarely the system went down due to an app (to be frank, I don't remember the last time I did that in XP.) Try opening a text file over a couple of megabytes with a new line after every 4 words (like IRC logs). The system doesn't always completely freeze but it always freezes a couple of the apps I'm using :mad: ](*,).

darkmatter
July 23rd, 2006, 02:21 AM

Consider yourself lucky... most crash Windows simply by logging on :p

wmcbrine
July 23rd, 2006, 02:43 AM
I was interested recently to discover that Notepad in XP can read both UTF-8 and UTF-16 (either endian IIRC) without skipping a beat, recognizing the format automatically... yet, and unlike most editors, it still can't handle Unix line endings. :/

Horizon
July 23rd, 2006, 08:09 AM
I was interested recently to discover that Notepad in XP can read both UTF-8 and UTF-16 (either endian IIRC) without skipping a beat, recognizing the format automatically... yet, and unlike most editors, it still can't handle Unix line endings. :/
LOL Windows XP fully supports UTF-8 etc. But still for some reason it refuses to use them by default and uses stupid encodings for its IMEs that no one can read. I can't tell you how frustrating it is when I get files written in stupid encodings.

It seems like notepad needs some love but maybe Microsoft are waiting and are gonna rewrite/overhaul/transform all the default applications.

Iandefor
July 23rd, 2006, 09:53 AM
Consider yourself lucky... most crash Windows simply by logging on :p aw, come on. Windows ain't that bad :).

wieman01
July 23rd, 2006, 10:02 AM
aw, come on. Windows ain't that bad :).

No, it isn't really. I cannot even remember when the OS crashed on me. Yes, certain programs have bugs, some more than others, but the OS itself is surprisingly stable. Nonetheless I am glad one can do without it.

Erunno
July 23rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
I'm pretty new to Linux and I find it amusing that among this community the rumours persists that Windows is unstable. That's so Win98... :D There's surely a lot to criticice about this particular OS (last but not least bloat, security issues, etc) but I think the Linux community (generalization, I know) should refrain from spreading false rumours to advocate Linux. There are enough features that already work better on Linux, no need to make things up. ;)

If notepad manages to crash your whole system then there's probably something seriously wrong with your system.

Cheers,
Erunno

Iandefor
July 23rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
I couldn't replicate your bug, K.Mandla. How many applications were open, and how much ram do you have? It might have just been a case of too many processes trying to use too few resources.

YourSurrogateGod
July 24th, 2006, 03:56 AM
If you need to completey strip out functionality to achieve simplicity of the interface then you're incompetent.
That doesn't make any sense. What the hell are you talking about?

The aim of interface design _is_ functionality believe it or not.
How long did it take you to grasp at that one chief?

It seems the codemonkies have learnt new words like "simplicity" and "usability" but most still don't have a clue what they're doing...
And using language that would surely separate you from the codemonkies, I take it you do?

When a codemonkey aims for a basic program that achieves basic functionality, odds are that that codemonkey is trying to maximize the use system resources, such as memory. That way you can better run other apps.

Your argument about nano makes no sense. Command-line functionality is completely different because of the restrictions.
Actuallly it makes alot of sense. Both don't have a whole lot of features and both are pretty light-weight. Or do you need shiny buttons in order to save or open a file?

At least with Mousepad I don't have to actually click on a line to see its number and (apparently) mousepad also has some support for indentation. Mousepad is still extremely crippled (like xfce) but it's at least a tiny (tiny tiny) bit more helpful and seems to be more aware of its target audience.
Oh dear. We got one that requires a every known feature under the sun just to look through a file... a text file at that.

Try opening a text file over a couple of megabytes with a new line after every 4 words (like IRC logs). The system doesn't always completely freeze but it always freezes a couple of the apps I'm using :mad: ](*,).
I honestly don't know what the hell you're talking about. You probably have something screwed in your system that's other than Notepad.

YourSurrogateGod
July 24th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I couldn't replicate your bug, K.Mandla. How many applications were open, and how much ram do you have? It might have just been a case of too many processes trying to use too few resources.
Well, that's pretty much the case. If you have 20 windows open and each one has atleast one process/thread running and trying to do something, it's pretty much at the tipping point... and the same would be true for Linux (from my experience.) Oh and I have 512MB in terms of ram.

Horizon
July 24th, 2006, 10:37 AM
@ YourSurrogateGod (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=16105)
I'm really not going to argue with you anymore when you resort to name calling and obviously have no intention in having any meaningful exchange of views...

And the way you quoted my post says enough. You obviously didn't get it because that post was all one statement and one opinion which should be addressed as one instead of cutting it up into little sentences...If you wish to disagree with my opinion then you need to quote it as one and debunk it as one. Splitting a single statement up into little bits to pick at it never leads to meaningful discussion and always lead to meaningless arguments. I'm not interested in having 10 little arguments about nothing, i'm interested in having one conversation about whether it's really necessary to strip an application of features to achieve simplicity. And maybe this isn't the place for it...

Zzooommm
July 24th, 2006, 11:51 AM
What I like about linux in general is that you always have commandline to fall back to. In windows once the GUI crashes, there's not much you can do.

Magnes
July 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Well, in my WinXP i have to reinstall in rescue mode nvidia's drivers after every power failure (or system crash), otherwise I get blue screen instead of "Welcome" screen. Don't know really why. I hate that, but for some reasons I still have to use XP (but it'll change soon I hope, and Ubuntu will be my only system :) ).

3rdalbum
July 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Your Win XP only crashes when you try to open .deb files in Notepad? What a charmed life you lead. My Win XP crashes when I try to copy lots of files from CD to hard disk, and browse the CD at the same time.

Linux handles it. Mac OS 9, which "only" has co-operative multitasking, accomplishes it very well. Windows XP, which is supposedly fully-modern with preemptive multitasking, crashes. Not just the file manager. The whole system. Frozen except the mouse.

It's a new computer, too. Maybe it just doesn't like my DVD burner, which is only recommended for Win XP?

jc87
July 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM
ROFL!

I didn't know deb files could do that... hmm... fun!

Unix heritages are poison to non-unix:bastards:twisted:

bruce89
July 24th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Whoa! Calm down, man. I didn't say that you were. I was just letting you know exactly what happened.

Sorry, I didn't need calmed down anyway.

Let's just say that Linus' "Interface Nazis" have been working on notepad.

There's a difference between doing as little as possible to help make the tasks that it is used for easier and simplicity. What you call features I call basic functionality. If you need to completey strip out functionality to achieve simplicity of the interface then you're incompetent. The aim of interface design _is_ functionality believe it or not. It seems the codemonkies have learnt new words like "simplicity" and "usability" but most still don't have a clue what they're doing...

This makes perfect sense to me.

@ YourSurrogateGod (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=16105)
I'm really not going to argue with you anymore when you resort to name calling and obviously have no intention in having any meaningful exchange of views...

I agree with you on this one, the name-calling was quite uncalled for. May I remind you it is a act of desperation.