PDA

View Full Version : Cryptocoins and Ubuntu

candtalan
February 23rd, 2014, 11:26 AM
I would like to have a Maxcoin wallet and one or two others, such as Mazacoin, whatever. However, even though coins such as these *say* they have Linux clients, or even downloads for Ubuntu specifically, I find they dont work, not for me, anyway. Is anyone here *actually* doing cryptocoin stuff using Ubuntu please? I would appreciate some helpful discussion. The good news is that using a ppa (thank you Matt Corallo!) I have a wallet bitcoin-qt (satoshi) working ok, and the wallet called armory too. However, the wallet maxcoin-qt does not seem to work (on Ubuntu which I only use), even though the source is provided and I think I am building stuff correctly. Which is a bit of a guess, because I am a very pointy clicky user, and although I am willing to have a go with more serious stuff, I am inexperienced. I have somehow got something working for maxcoin - a non gui wallet (maxcoind) which can be configured also for mining using CPU, and a CPU pool friendly miner (minerd) which is great fun. But it is a concern that the gui wallet, which so obviously is needed, maxcoin-qt, simply does not seem to run. The mazacoin, from a completely separate team, 'download for Ubuntu' also fails. There are quite a few different crypto coins around. I don't think they are going away. I want to keep up, but, who to talk to?
tia