PDA

View Full Version : Any Konqueror users out there?

TheRingmaster
July 22nd, 2006, 05:14 AM
Just wondering who actually uses the Konqueror browser as a web browser. Konqueror is the default for Kubuntu (which I use and love!):p

wieman01
July 22nd, 2006, 05:16 AM
I used to use it a few years ago... But nowadays - still being a KDE user & lover - I stick with Firefox which is - in my opinion - one of the most enhanced browsers. But nonetheless Konqueror is still a good option.

TheRingmaster
July 22nd, 2006, 05:19 AM
how is firefox more "enhanced" than Konqueror?:confused:

wieman01
July 22nd, 2006, 05:23 AM
I cannot tell you, I don't use it anymore. :-) That's just my personal impression, have to take it with a pinch of salt.

TheRingmaster
July 22nd, 2006, 05:30 AM
anyone else?

maagimies
July 22nd, 2006, 05:36 AM
I use Konqueror atm :)
I had my Gnome season just ending yesterday, I just got tired of it so I switched back to KDE.
It was weird, because some weeks ago I swore to the name of Gnome, and thought that I would never choose anything else. But there I was, back at KDE again.
It's like distro-addiction, you always come back to some distro after trying out others :D

Konqueror rocks :)

ShanghaiTeej
July 22nd, 2006, 05:43 AM
I would use Konqueror if it had the same type of plugin framework that Firefox uses. But, when I use Kubuntu or Ubuntu, I usually stick with Firefox or Opera. Also, I've noticed that when I open multiple tags in Konqueror, Konqueror starts to slow down a little in responsiveness. Haven't had that problem with Firefox or Opera. Then again, it could be my computer.

maagimies
July 22nd, 2006, 05:54 AM
Also, I've noticed that when I open multiple tags in Konqueror, Konqueror starts to slow down a little in responsiveness. Haven't had that problem with Firefox or Opera. Then again, it could be my computer.
Try to tweak the settings at performance part of Konqueror settings, it speeds both loading time and overall performance of Konqueror :D
Just put the maxium loaded Konquerors to 2 and click the "keep atleast one Konqueror instance in memory all the time" or something like that.

3rdalbum
July 22nd, 2006, 06:14 AM
Try to tweak the settings at performance part of Konqueror settings, it speeds both loading time and overall performance of Konqueror :D
Just put the maxium loaded Konquerors to 2 and click the "keep atleast one Konqueror instance in memory all the time" or something like that.

So that explains why it seems to load so quickly!

I'd like to like Konqueror, but it crashes on every computer I try it on. Otherwise, I would probably use it on Gnome as well.

Jucato
July 22nd, 2006, 06:22 AM
A Konqueror lover here, through and through. :D

I use it as a file manager, web browser, and almost any other capabality that it has. I only use Firefox when a page doesn't display correctly in Konqueror, or if a website causes Konqueror to crash. But it's not Konqueror's fault actually, more of a problem with the KHTML rendering engine, which is developed separately from Konqueror AFAIK. I think KHTML has a bit of catching up to do to be on same level as Gecko when it comes to website compatibility. Recent developments, like a project to have a collaboration between Safari's (which is actually based on KHTML) WebKit and KHTML, looks promising.

Konqueror did crash on me a lot of times in Breezy, and I almost gave up on it. That's why I was so glad that it's performing so well in Dapper.

TheRingmaster
July 22nd, 2006, 06:22 AM
it hasn't crashed for me yet.:mrgreen:

GStubbs43
July 22nd, 2006, 06:50 AM
When I had KDE, I didn't like konqueror due to the fact you can't use shortcuts ike ctrl+enter which I always use.

Jucato
July 22nd, 2006, 06:53 AM
When I had KDE, I didn't like konqueror due to the fact you can't use shortcuts ike ctrl+enter which I always use.

Huh? Ctrl+Enter is a shortcut for?

croak77
July 22nd, 2006, 08:03 AM
I use konqueror as my default browser. My online banking works fine with it and I love the kget/akregator intergration.

GStubbs43
July 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
ctrl+enter automatically puts www. and .com
shift+enter "" www. and .net
Ctrl+Shift+enter "" www. and .org

Very handy for me! ;)

GarethMB
July 22nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
I use it. I hated it at first and there still are some quirks that bug me, but on the whole i prefer it. For me konqueror epitomises integration of the desktop environment and applications. :) Sweet as.

Christmas
July 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
I used to use Konqueror, but I finally concluded that I don't like the idea of all-in-one File Manager/Browser/Image Viewer and PDF viewer. The reasons are not so important as I'm very sensitive with applications, however one of the reasons was the fact that its interface changed (when used as a file manager it has some default buttons/menus, as a browser it changes that and the same with the PDFs or images). And I am not used to a all-in-one solution, I believe a program should do simple tasks and do them well (not that Konqueror doesn't, actually it's very good but it just doesn't fit me as a web browser).

One more reason was that it has a bug, sometimes the bookmarks folder appears as a toolbar. I only use it as a file manager at the moment. I tried Opera 9.00, which is a great browser, but has a slow interface on Linux and now I am using Firefox 1.5.0.4 with the theme in my signature, which is just awesome.

SkyNet2029
July 22nd, 2006, 11:36 AM
I use Konqueror (like right now), for the web, file browsing,
given the opportunity, if a file has the option of 'Open in new Tab', that's what I do.
I think the main reason I use it because of its ability to NOT send your browser headers out to everywhere.

Jucato
July 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
- You can make your own profile so that the interface will remain consistent whether you're using Konqueror as a file manager, a web browser, etc.
- I have a different "interpretation" of what Konqueror really is. But as I don't want to spark up a debate here, I'll just keep it to myself in the mean time. (Unless you happen to drop by over at the Kubuntu forums and see my thread there)
- I believe the proper phrase was "do one task and do that well", not just "simple task". File managing is anything but simple, and so is word processing, CD burning, etc, if you follow me. But even in that aspect, Konqueror is really doing just one task, and doing it very well: file managing. (again, stopping here to prevent probable debates).
- All bookmarks, by default, appear in the Bookmarks toolbar (which you can turn on or off, depending on the profile you're using). But I learned recently that it has a feature that allows you to choose which "sub-folder" in the bookmarks folder appears on the toolbar, somewhat like Firefox's Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.
- I like Firefox, too, especially with the ability to extend its capabilities. But I wish that it could integrate well with the rest of the KDE desktop, just like Konqueror. (You can't use kio slaves, media:/, system:/, ftp:/, etc. in Firefox).
- The KHTML engine (again, a separate but integral component of Konqueror) does need a bit more loving. Some news seem to give it a favorable future (see this: http://dot.kde.org/1152645965/)

Terracotta
July 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
I used to use Konqueror, but I finally concluded that I don't like the idea of all-in-one File Manager/Browser/Image Viewer and PDF viewer. The reasons are not so important as I'm very sensitive with applications, however one of the reasons was the fact that its interface changed (when used as a file manager it has some default buttons/menus, as a browser it changes that and the same with the PDFs or images). And I am not used to a all-in-one solution, I believe a program should do simple tasks and do them well (not that Konqueror doesn't, actually it's very good but it just doesn't fit me as a web browser).

One more reason was that it has a bug, sometimes the bookmarks folder appears as a toolbar. I only use it as a file manager at the moment. I tried Opera 9.00, which is a great browser, but has a slow interface on Linux and now I am using Firefox 1.5.0.4 with the theme in my signature, which is just awesome.

Konqueror user here, though I love the Opera interface a bit more (tab bar above location bar (which could also come in handy for ftp/commander interface, and it wouldn't make the bars jump all the time when konqueror changes from interface (viewer interface-web interface to...). Konqueror could also use some rss-reader stuff like firefox has. And it has some small problems with downloading stuff every now and then (I think it might be kget related :s), whenever I click on some links I just to download an attachement.php file, so I need opera of firefox (juk) to download it.

But besides that I LOVE how it treats the networks just the same as harddrives :p I'm all for it. Great browser. Almost never have problems with bad websites (except the one from the national PUBLIC radio and television](*,) , so much for a public organisation that needs to reach as many people as possible.

jordilin
July 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM
Konqueror is great, in my opinion one of the most configurable and powerful browsers (web and files). But, I prefer the simplicity of Nautilus and Firefox. Besides, I love the GTK look and feel. I love GTK and that's why I don't use kde related apps if I can, although I use kile and k3b ;-)

Rhapsody
July 22nd, 2006, 11:55 AM
I used Konqueror briefly, but I'm a very heavy tab user, and I missed Tabbrowser Extensions. I know I shouldn't use it, but it's so incredibly powerful and flexible that I can't go without it for long. The main problems were that I couldn't drag and drop tabs, or close all tabs to the left or right of a specified tab (which I do a lot in Firefox). Hence, I went back to Firefox and use it for all my browsing needs.

Jucato
July 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM
Konqueror user here, though I love the Opera interface a bit more (tab bar above location bar (which could also come in handy for ftp/commander interface, and it wouldn't make the bars jump all the time when konqueror changes from interface (viewer interface-web interface to...). Konqueror could also use some rss-reader stuff like firefox has. And it has some small problems with downloading stuff every now and then (I think it might be kget related :s), whenever I click on some links I just to download an attachement.php file, so I need opera of firefox (juk) to download it.

I think, you could re-arrange the toolbars to have the same effect. I'll take this as a personal challenge to do that, once I get my Kubuntu system back. :(

If Konqueror started having a built-in RSS reader, it would be criticized even more for doing more than it should. I for one don't think that an RSS reader feature should be built into a web browser or an e-mail client. I think that an RSS reader should be a separate app that integrates/uses the web browser, something that Akregator already does very well. The only reason I think that people use extensions in Firefox for RSS feeds, at least in Windows, is that there isn't really a good separate RSS reader available. I think that most people in Linux use apps like Liferea, Blam, Straw, or Akregator for their RSS needs.

I have the same problems with downloading. I also think that it's a problem with KGet. When I try downloading the same file without KGet, I don't experience any problems. I'm not sure if a bug report was filed already for it.

Randomskk
July 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Yup, I use nothing but Konqueror =D
It loads fast, works well, I can browse SSH and FTP accounts plus local files, it can do previews of just about all the media types, works nicely with most of the sites I go on (although text can sometimes be bigger than in FF), plus the integration with Akregator (which I use for RSS) is really neat.

I haven't had any problems with downloading, though, that always seems to work pretty well. Plus I can save to a remote account, although I guess that's more KDE than Konq :P

The things under the "Tools" menu rock, as well - instant validation of the page you're on, it's CSS and links from it, plus auto refresh and archiving, and you can change the browser ident (and it remembers it per site), and it can even translate, although I don't use that.

Christmas
July 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
One thing I forgot to mention which I loved in Konqueror was the automatic spellcheck. It came handy when I was posting here for example. But Firefox 2.0 will have this feature too.

Terracotta
July 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
I think, you could re-arrange the toolbars to have the same effect. I'll take this as a personal challenge to do that, once I get my Kubuntu system back. :(

If Konqueror started having a built-in RSS reader, it would be criticized even more for doing more than it should. I for one don't think that an RSS reader feature should be built into a web browser or an e-mail client. I think that an RSS reader should be a separate app that integrates/uses the web browser, something that Akregator already does very well. The only reason I think that people use extensions in Firefox for RSS feeds, at least in Windows, is that there isn't really a good separate RSS reader available. I think that most people in Linux use apps like Liferea, Blam, Straw, or Akregator for their RSS needs.

I have the same problems with downloading. I also think that it's a problem with KGet. When I try downloading the same file without KGet, I don't experience any problems. I'm not sure if a bug report was filed already for it.

You can change that? wow nice, gonna have to look into tha, after my exams, mhm :S have to redo some.

I was more thinking about integrating akregator into konqueror like opera does mails ( a separte tab where you can browse them and when you open one a new tab to that place opens, makes interactions easier than akkregator works now). But Akkregator has some problems too, it often downloads several times the same feeds, and it remembers too much of them. But still I think it's more suited in a browser than in a mail client, a browser if to search teh web do some stuff there, a PIM-suite is to have contact with other people :p. But well it's about konqueror here so :twisted: never mind my post.

Jucato
July 22nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
You can change that? wow nice, gonna have to look into tha, after my exams, mhm :S have to redo some.

Yes you can. I promise to look into it once my system is up. When it comes to crazy customizing options, KDE is king. :D

I was more thinking about integrating akregator into konqueror like opera does mails ( a separte tab where you can browse them and when you open one a new tab to that place opens, makes interactions easier than akkregator works now). But Akkregator has some problems too, it often downloads several times the same feeds, and it remembers too much of them. But still I think it's more suited in a browser than in a mail client, a browser if to search teh web do some stuff there, a PIM-suite is to have contact with other people :p. But well it's about konqueror here so :twisted: never mind my post.

While it's a bit convenient to have built-in e-mail and/or rss reader in a browser, it might be a bit too much, at least for Konqueror. It might also be a bit too much for KDE devs to handle. You could also take into consideration the limitations that built-in e-mail clients or rss readers will have. It might be convenient if you have very minimal feeds or e-mail but it gets cumbersome when you have lots of them. Built-in stuff also usually don't have the same features of standalone apps. But I think that there might be a way to have a sort of integrated Akregator/KMail part in Konqueror, just like you have an integrated KWord part. I just don't know how.

As for your issues with Akregator:
- When feeds are updated (for example, a blog receives a comment or an article is edited), the feeds are sent out again from the site. Akregator is notified that "something" has been sent and downloads it. So it's not download the exact same thing twice, but an updated copy of the first feed.
- You can set how much Akregator keeps in its archives. Settings > Configure Akregator. I'm not on my Kubuntu system right now, so I can't be more specific.

(I just hate it when I'm forced to use something I don't really like... :()

hizaguchi
July 22nd, 2006, 03:49 PM
I use it when I use KDE. I love being able to scroll left and right with the touchpad. But the Gecko engine blows Khtml out of the water, so no matter how much I love the Konqueror interface it will never replace Firefox completely for me unless they improve its ability to render sites correctly.

Jucato
July 22nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
@terracota:
I'm sorry, but I think I was a bit unclear on one of my replies. I didn't mean that you could put the location bar below the tabs in Konqueror. What I meant to say was that you could arrange the toolbars in Konqueror in such a way that they wouldn't jump around too much.

Sorry if I got your hopes up too much. :(

EDIT: I forgot to sing a few praises to some Konqueror features I love, both as a file manager and web browser

- embedded previews, for very quick viewing of text/configuration files. No need to wait for a text editor to launch if you're just going to view the file
- built-in spelling checker. very handy when you do a lot of posting in the net. AFAIK Firefox will only have it own built-in checker in Firefox 2.0. While they wait, we type. :D
- browser identification. trick a webpage into thinking you're some other browser. Of course, if Konqueror was more widely supported, there wouldn't be much need for this, right?
- toolbars. so many choices. Of course you might not use all of them, but it's fun to drag them around once in a while for a new look.
- profiles. you're not stuck with one default look/setup. Have as many as you want/need.
- split views and tabs. I like everything to be in one window, because I have many windows open per app, not per folder. Think of it as a "one window per app/job" philosophy. :D

Hmm... I guess I'm finished advertising for Konqueror... for now. :P

TheRingmaster
July 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
One thing I forgot to mention which I loved in Konqueror was the automatic spellcheck. It came handy when I was posting here for example. But Firefox 2.0 will have this feature too.

I love that feature too!:D

Visceral Monkey
July 24th, 2006, 02:18 AM
It's on the lower rung of browsers, that's for sure. It comes accross as something they've thrown it to browse files more than being a usable web browser. The add block support is nascent and underdeveloped, quite a few websites do not render correctly (and I don't care whose fault that is, if it doesnt work on Konqueror but does with just about every other browser under the sun, I blame the browser), has limited configurability options, no community support, no pluging development, etc. In short, it's a turd of sorts.

Apple has sealed its turdy fate by submitting it's safari patches in a mannner that makes it deliberately difficult to incorporate. Conclusion: It's going now where as an internet browser.

It's a file browser with the ability to do some limited web surfing and that's about it. It's also not going to get much better.

croak77
July 24th, 2006, 03:06 AM

I think it has come a long way.

What's wrong with konqueror's adblock? I use the filterset g settings and it seems the same as firefox to me.

NeoChaosX
July 24th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Personally, I don't mind Konqueror; it's a good file browser and a pretty decent web browser. But until I see a fix for the font problems (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187596&highlight=konqueror+fonts) I've been having, as well as being able to have file-browsing tabs and web browsing tabs separated into separate windows, I'll stick to Firefox for web browsing.

GameManK
July 24th, 2006, 04:57 AM
I use Opera on my main computer, but I use konqueror on any other computers I have kubuntu on, mostly because I don't want to install extra stuff on them.

I also occasionally use konqueror on my computer, for example when I know I will be viewing a lot of PDF's, as opera doesn't have a PDF plugin and KPDF kpart rocks.

Jucato
July 24th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Admittedly, KHTML needs a bit more development if it ever wants to be on the same level as Firefox. If that was the goal, anyway. However, it's not as bad as it sounds. Every minor KDE release always fixes bugs and adds updates. So development is not stagnant.

But, IMHO, there's one little error when people fault Konqueror for errors in displaying some web pages.

Konqueror is not KHTML. KHTML is not Konqueror.

Konqueror is the application/program, KHTML is the rendering engine, the one responsible for displaying web pages. So when Konqueror doesn't render pages as it should, it's actually KHTML's doing, not Konqueror.

As for web sites not supporting Konqueror, is it really Konqueror's fault? Remember, it's the website that decides what browser to support, not the browser deciding what website to support. If a website decides not to support/follow web standards, is it the standard-compliant browser's fault? But the problem with all these "supporting" is that there are so many web pages with so many different formats/code to support. So sometimes you have to choose whether to comply with standards or just follow the trend. IE has chosen the latter, Firefox is leaning more towards trends, while Konqueror tries to comply. Of course, this ends in displaying some sites incorrectly. But I'm not giving up hope in KHTML yet. Like any open-source project, it's in a constant state of development and evolution.

I'm not much of an adblock user, so I can't comment on that. But Konqueror is not just a file manager with limited web browsing capabilities, period. Or maybe you just haven't explored most of it's other features just yet?

@NeoChaosX: have you tried asking somewhere else, like KDE-Forum.org or bugs.kde.org? If you are able to recreate the same problem in some other distribution, then it might be a Konqueror-specific problem which could have an answer outside of this forum.

I agree with you that it might be more convenient for Konqueror to launch tabs in different windows depending on what the URL is. However, I think it might be a bit complicated to implement, but not impossible. Ever tried filing a wishlist for it? :D

NeoChaosX
July 25th, 2006, 06:14 AM
@NeoChaosX: have you tried asking somewhere else, like KDE-Forum.org or bugs.kde.org? If you are able to recreate the same problem in some other distribution, then it might be a Konqueror-specific problem which could have an answer outside of this forum.
Y'know, I should've thought of that, check and see if this is really is a KDE issue.

I agree with you that it might be more convenient for Konqueror to launch tabs in different windows depending on what the URL is. However, I think it might be a bit complicated to implement, but not impossible. Ever tried filing a wishlist for it? :D
Funny you mentioned that; I went over to bugs.kde.org right now to file a wishlist, but it turns out someone else had already made a wish (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74776) for such a feature. The fact that it's a rather old bug (and has very few votes to it) bothers me, though.

Alex_Perry
July 25th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I use Konqueror here, too. It has Adblock and Mouse gestures (system-wide) just like Firefox (albeit non system-wide), integrated spell-check, loads faster that firefox, supports tabs, and can fake browser identity.

I also find that with KDE/Kubuntu, Konqueror looks better since it uses the same theme as everything else, unlike Firefox.

On a side note, I have five other family members that I switched to Linux last winter, My mom and Dad, Brother and Sister, and my Aunt, and have them all running Firefox under Kubuntu. I chose this since it seems to have better overall support with the sites they visit, and since it has had positive reviews from the press, that was a plus. The reason I switched them all from Linux was the spyware and insecurity of Windows/Internet Explorer/Outlook.

gray-squirrel
July 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I use it frequently, it is a must (for me anyways) when printing pages to the PDF printer - I rarely have to go back into the PDF folder to rename files because Konqueror does it for me, and 9 times out of 10 gets it right.

It would be nice, though, if it could save sessions. I should do research on this to see if such a plug-in exists.

As for web sites not supporting Konqueror, is it really Konqueror's fault? Remember, it's the website that decides what browser to support, not the browser deciding what website to support. If a website decides not to support/follow web standards, is it the standard-compliant browser's fault? But the problem with all these "supporting" is that there are so many web pages with so many different formats/code to support. So sometimes you have to choose whether to comply with standards or just follow the trend. IE has chosen the latter, Firefox is leaning more towards trends, while Konqueror tries to comply. Of course, this ends in displaying some sites incorrectly. But I'm not giving up hope in KHTML yet. Like any open-source project, it's in a constant state of development and evolution.

As far as the display goes, I have had to shrink fonts to get everything similar to how it would look in Firefox. Everything else looks fine. My Web site looks better in Konqueror than it does in Firefox, though - and I did nothing special in site design.

Note also, you can tell Konqueror to lie about its identity. On certain problem sites, I have it say to the server "I'm Mozilla 1.7" or "I'm Firefox 1.0.7" or something like that. This way I can actually browse the site when I otherwise would have been blocked because of the site designer's dictatorial policy on what Web browser can be used to see the site. I used this feature to successfully go to my bank's Web home page - not possible had I not have changed that setting.

(By the way, I'm at a Windows box right now, so I don't remember the menu item which allows Konqueror to report a different Web browser version to the requestor.)

doorknob60
June 23rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
As a KDE user I use Konqueror. It loads almost instantly, it blocks ads like Firefox (with a little setup), it properly displays most web pages, it integrates well with KDE, and if it doesn't show a website right, it's a matter of Location -> Open with Firefox to get it to work :D Also it works with 64 bit Java, and doesn't have any problems with Flash or other FF plugins, and the Kmplayer plugin works better than everything I tried in FF (Totem, Mplayer, VLC), although I don't know why, it just works :D

mistypotato
February 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Trying to use Konqueror but for some reason I cant print anything from it?

Suggestions?