PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Booting from usbstick - get purple screen

ntu
February 20th, 2014, 02:16 AM
Hi.

I have created a Ubuntu 13.10 bootable usb from Windows XP using Universal-usb-installer from pendrivelinux.com and straight after booting I get a purple screen with a small graphic down the bottom of what I think is meant to be a usb socket with an equal sign alongside pointing to a circle with a figure with outstretched arms in. And that is all. ??

Have successfully booted Slacko Puppy Linux via this method using same pendrive on the same machine.

Bucky Ball
February 20th, 2014, 03:40 AM
When you get to that purple screen, hit enter and see if it gets you further. If not, hit F6 and choose 'nomodeset' from the pop-up list. Report back any and all errors, if there are any.

C.S.Cameron
February 20th, 2014, 04:13 AM
A lot of people have problems with Universal, try UNetbootin or Startup Disk Creator.

Bucky Ball
February 20th, 2014, 04:30 AM
A lot of people have problems with Universal, try UNetbootin or Startup Disk Creator.

That purple screen described in the first post is correct. Don't think that's the issue. The boot is just getting stuck there. Lets see what happens when OP tries the suggestions in post #2.

ntu
February 20th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks guyz. It booted in the end. Before I received your replies I discovered (by just leaving it to see if anything happened) that it takes about 7 minutes to boot from this flashdrive and setup method.

Bucky Ball
February 21st, 2014, 02:48 AM
All good then. Please mark thread as solved to help other using instructions in my signature. Thanks.