PDA

View Full Version : PS3, Wii, or Xbox 360?

Carrots171
July 22nd, 2006, 12:57 AM
Which game console do you think is the best - the PS3, Wii, or Xbox 360? (You can vote for more than one).

Polygon
July 22nd, 2006, 01:21 AM
i vote wii. why? the controller is really freaking cool, and is going to lead to some awesome games. plus its really cheap

playstation 3? ahahaha. 600 dollars just for the console, and that is not including any games or accessories! i would never get this.

xbox 360 is my second choice, its OK priced, but i hate how they make you charge to play games over the internet! why do you have to pay to get internet, and then pay to play games over the internet? computer games dont do that.

but all in all, the PC > consoles. always have and always will. Computers have much better power then consoles, and if they done, they will within less then a year then when the console comes out. you can upgrade the consoles, search the internet, install programs, play games for FREE over the internet, do all sorts of cool stuff. consoles, you just play gmaes.

Engnome
July 22nd, 2006, 01:56 AM
We can't be sure yet, only one reached the market but I think Nintendo are the only one's trying something new, The 360 is like the original Xbox just more. The PS3 is like a computer of some sort with some brand new processor (PPC anyone? maybe Sony will be the next apple and try to crush the PC?) The wii isn't mind blowing but as I believe more in "smart" games than just overkill graphics I say Wii ftw!

jyank
July 22nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
Wii for me

BugenhagenXIII
July 22nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
The Wii is the only console I know for a fact I'll be getting. I'll probably get a 360 much later. $600 for a console? No way I'm getting a PS3.

jtbl
July 22nd, 2006, 02:03 AM
Hey Sony! Sega called and they said they want their Saturn marketing plans back. :lol:

djsroknrol
July 22nd, 2006, 02:25 AM
Sega Genesis!!...
Seriously...since PS3 or Wii aren't out yet, and I'm not into MS's venture into draining more pockets...I vote for my 2nd gen PS2...:)

slimdog360
July 22nd, 2006, 03:51 AM
I cant afford over $1000 Australian + games. Sony are crazy if they think people will pay that. Arnt a lot of games in their 20's, if so wouldnt they remember back to the good old days when Nintendo ruled the world. I think there is going to be a lot of people in this catagory, not to mention kids who love pokemon and mario, who will be getting a Wii.

Stew2
July 22nd, 2006, 03:57 AM
I've got a five year old son so I think I will choose the Wii just because Nintendo has always offered the most "family friendly" games. I believe (could be wrong though :) ) that it is also fanless... a big plus in my books! We have an original Xbox and the first time I fired it up I said "Wow! this thing is louder than my PC" and it hasn't gotten any quieter! Small, silent, cool controller and reasonable price... no contest for me! Wii! :D

Regards,
Stew2

kop316
July 22nd, 2006, 04:44 AM
I'm going to go with my SNES. 30$, and some of the best games ever.

xtacocorex
July 22nd, 2006, 04:48 AM
I have a 360 and I have to admit that it's pretty sweet.

I do enjoy my wife's GameCube and she's looking forward to the Wii, as am I.

If they'd only make non-arcadish flight simulators for console systems, I'd be set.

GuitarHero
July 22nd, 2006, 06:03 AM
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

PS3 has no games that interest me, blue-ray which I dont want, and is wayyy to much money
360 looks ok

3rdalbum
July 22nd, 2006, 06:17 AM
I reckon the Wii will be the out-and-out winner. So many people want one!

I wouldn't have minded the PS3 if it was cheaper. For European tarrif-avoidance purposes, it runs Linux :-)

And oh, I wish they'd make real flight sims for consoles too!

TravisNewman
July 22nd, 2006, 06:26 AM
Xbox 360: I've played a few games in game shops-- didn't like the controller, and the games are just the same, with better graphics

PS3: waaay too much money

Wii is actually changing the way we game. So I pick Wii. Hate the name... makes me think of going over the first hill of a rollercoaster-- "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

GuitarHero
July 22nd, 2006, 06:29 AM
I hated the name too at first(ive been following its development since it was first announced as the revolution), but I got used to it. Now Im excited about it again. Its funny that the distant loser in the last console generation has a huge chance of being the winner this time.

FISHERMAN
July 22nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
The original Xbox was a very good machine, but unfortunately the 360 is nothing special.
Nintendo on the other hand rarely disappoints me, so'll go with the Wii.

codypumper
July 22nd, 2006, 07:32 AM
The choice is obvious to me: the Wii.
I'd like to thank the Ubuntu community for being the coolest online community in history. I voted for the Wii, thinking I'd be the only one, as I am a Nintendo loyalist. To my surprise people here are intelligent. "Oh wow, Xbox 360 is High Def and PS3 plays blu-rays, I'll get both. What the crap is a "Wii", what a ridiculous name!" is what I here from your average person ](*,) . Thank you for being smart.

slimdog360
July 22nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
The choice is obvious to me: the Wii.
I'd like to thank the Ubuntu community for being the coolest online community in history. I voted for the Wii, thinking I'd be the only one, as I am a Nintendo loyalist. To my surprise people here are intelligent. "Oh wow, Xbox 360 is High Def and PS3 plays blu-rays, I'll get both. What the crap is a "Wii", what a ridiculous name!" is what I here from your average person ](*,) . Thank you for being smart.
my pleasure

DoktorSeven
July 22nd, 2006, 09:37 AM
None of the above. PS3 is too expensive, XBox360 doesn't have games I care about, and I don't think the Wii's controller in its movement mode (which most games will likely use) would be very comfortable to me; it'd be like holding a remote up (I know it's not really like a remote, but it's the same design) and I hate doing that. A controller that I can keep stable and motionless is best for me.

(Yeah, some games will use a standard controller, but I'm sure the big-title games will require you to wave the controller around...)

John T. Monkey
July 22nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
We have an X Box 360 in the house, and it's a nice console... but that's it. I don't think it's a big enough improvement over the original X Box to justify getting one.

I currently have a Playstation 2, and I don't use it so much anymore, but I think it's great. But for some reason I'm just not the slightest bit excited about the PS3. I won't get one unless one of my friends get one and it really, really impresses me when I play it.

The Wii looks amazing, thanks to the controller, and I like the fact it's going to be cheap.
I would quite like to go back to Nintendo anyway, Of all the games consoles I've had, the one I had the most fun with was the N64. I would have got a gamecube if it played DVD's and GTA 3. But fun is the point, and I think the Wii will be the best one for that.

Virogenesis
July 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
I believe the ps3 will do well after a while.....when they do a price drop,
the Wii could do well but the games are targeted at kids more than the ps3.
I remember when the first PS came out they were pricey back then.
its going to be an interesting battle.

Rhapsody
July 22nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
The Xbox 360 is Microsoft's attempt to gain on their opponents with an early release. Like Sega did with the Dreamcast. Or like Atari did with the Jaguar. Yeah. The legacy of consoles that were 'FIRST TO THE MARKET!' along with my complete boycott of all Microsoft products will keep me away from that.

The PlayStation 3 seems to be Sony's descent into madness ("The PlayStation 3 will cost five hundread and ninety-nine US dollars..."). It's also about their battle with the EU about what the difference between a console and computer is, the aim being that Sony acheive lower tarriffs at the potential cost of losing most of their target audience. So remember kids, the PlayStation 3 is NOT a console, it's a computer. Which is why it's priced like a PC. I'm still split on it though. I don't like Sony very much (see XCP controversy, and the ban on modchips in the UK), and they've quite clearly gone mad, but I really want to play Mercenaries 2, and I'm not buying an Xbox 360 for any game. But still, it's going to cost £425, and that's a lot of money...

The Wii meanwhile is Nintendo's attempt at sanity. Despite the low cost, Nintendo will be making money on each console sold apparently (unlike the Xbox 360 which is already losing money, and the PlayStation 3 which promises to be a black hole for Sony's money) and interest in the new control system is about as high as they could've hoped. I wish them well, and wish to buy one.

Camellia
July 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
I really can't help to buying a PS3 just because the MGS4 is something I can't ingore, and also the FF13.

kopinux
July 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
im going for the ps3.

my savings is supposed to be for pc upgrade, but i cant play my favorite high-end games in my pc not unless i buy & install windows on it which is out of the option.

not going to buy xbox 360 either since ms will just release a patch and kill any linux installation (internet browsing purposes).

for nintendo i only play nintendo because of the fire emblem series, and the game concentrates on gameplay instead of graphics, so the gameboy portable would do.

so ps3 is my choice.

ill just probably sell my pc try to install ubuntu on the ps3.

probably another reason for going with ps3 is:
cell processor (open technology)
ps3 games API will be open
linux support
sony belongs to open invention network and x windows consortium.
ps3 games is rumored to be region-free.
i want a piece of the blu-ray (and a simplified region codes).

though ill buy it on the breakdown time.

BWF89
July 22nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Choice 1. Nintendo Wii
Choice 2. Xbox 360

No way I'm getting PS3, the thing is just too expensive for how many games I play anymore. I'll probably end up getting a Wii though and a 360 if I want to play regular games.

ill just probably sell my pc try to install ubuntu on the ps3.
I dont know if that's a good idea. Ubuntu packages are designed to run on i386, x86_64, and ppc arcitectures. PS3 is a console and is probably going to be a completely different arcitecture and your packages might not run right even if you compile them yourself.