PDA

View Full Version : How to download alpha and beta releases via torrent?

Anand.Kumar
February 18th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I can't download the whole ISO image of Ubuntu OS (Alpha/Beta) in one session. Is there any alternative like torrents (strongly looking for this) OR any download manager which may work (pause/resume).

Thanks.

ian-weisser
February 18th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Good old wget, included with the default install of Ubuntu, will happily resume downloads.

$ wget http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/trusty-desktop-i386.iso # Start download
Saving to: ‘trusty-desktop-i386.iso’
0% [ ] 1,151,678 163KB/s eta 1h 50m
^C # Stop download with CTRL+C

$ ls -l | grep trusty
-rw-r--r-- 1 ian ian 1186238 Feb 18 10:04 trusty-desktop-i386.iso # Incomplete download saved

$ wget --continue http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/trusty-desktop-i386.iso # Use --continue flag to resume download
Saving to: ‘trusty-desktop-i386.iso’
[Download resumes]

Much testing has moved from alpha/beta versions to daily snapshots.

sudodus
February 18th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Another alternative is zsync, which will work nicely once you have one good version of the ubuntu iso file. See this link (example for trusty-desktop-amd64.iso)

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/308/builds/63058/downloads

With the zsync command line you need only download what changed from the previous download.

zsync http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/trusty-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync

I think you must also install zsync

sudo apt-get install zsync

Anand.Kumar
February 19th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks for your replies. I didn't know about zsync and --continue command in wget! It's great.

I still have a doubt. Isn't the ISO image file changes everyday? What will happen if the file changed if I have downloaded half of it?

ian-weisser
February 19th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Good point. Check the upload time on the web page to be sure you are still downloading the same version. "Daily" does not guarantee "once each day at the same time." It's a testing snapshot; sometimes it's down, sometimes it fails to boot, sometimes it get respun multiple times in one day to address a critical bug, sometimes the daily is delayed by a few hours.

It may be worthwhile to plan an longer or higher-speed connection session (at a cafe, for example) to get the entire file at once. Or perhaps you may consider using a stable release instead of a testing version.

sudodus
February 19th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your replies. I didn't know about zsync and --continue command in wget! It's great.

I still have a doubt. Isn't the ISO image file changes everyday? What will happen if the file changed if I have downloaded half of it?

I have no own experience, but I think zsync can cope with it.

-o-

Good old rsync is another powerful alternative for example with the option --partial. From
man rsync

--partial
By default, rsync will delete any partially transferred file if the transfer is inter‐
rupted. In some circumstances it is more desirable to keep partially transferred files.
Using the --partial option tells rsync to keep the partial file which should make a sub‐
sequent transfer of the rest of the file much faster.

--partial-dir=DIR
A better way to keep partial files than the --partial option is to specify a DIR that
will be used to hold the partial data (instead of writing it out to the destination
file). On the next transfer, rsync will use a file found in this dir as data to speed
up the resumption of the transfer and then delete it after it has served its purpose.

Note that if --whole-file is specified (or implied), any partial-dir file that is found
for a file that is being updated will simply be removed (since rsync is sending files
without using rsync’s delta-transfer algorithm).

Rsync will create the DIR if it is missing (just the last dir -- not the whole path).
This makes it easy to use a relative path (such as "--partial-dir=.rsync-partial") to
have rsync create the partial-directory in the destination file’s directory when needed,
and then remove it again when the partial file is deleted.

If the partial-dir value is not an absolute path, rsync will add an exclude rule at the
end of all your existing excludes. This will prevent the sending of any partial-dir
files that may exist on the sending side, and will also prevent the untimely deletion of
partial-dir items on the receiving side. An example: the above --partial-dir option
would add the equivalent of "-f '-p .rsync-partial/'" at the end of any other filter
rules.

If you are supplying your own exclude rules, you may need to add your own
exclude/hide/protect rule for the partial-dir because (1) the auto-added rule may be
ineffective at the end of your other rules, or (2) you may wish to override rsync’s
exclude choice. For instance, if you want to make rsync clean-up any left-over par‐
tial-dirs that may be lying around, you should specify --delete-after and add a "risk"
filter rule, e.g. -f 'R .rsync-partial/'. (Avoid using --delete-before or
--delete-during unless you don’t need rsync to use any of the left-over partial-dir data
during the current run.)

IMPORTANT: the --partial-dir should not be writable by other users or it is a security
risk. E.g. AVOID "/tmp".

You can also set the partial-dir value the RSYNC_PARTIAL_DIR environment variable. Set‐
ting this in the environment does not force --partial to be enabled, but rather it
affects where partial files go when --partial is specified. For instance, instead of
using --partial-dir=.rsync-tmp along with --progress, you could set RSYNC_PAR‐
TIAL_DIR=.rsync-tmp in your environment and then just use the -P option to turn on the
use of the .rsync-tmp dir for partial transfers. The only times that the --partial
option does not look for this environment value are (1) when --inplace was specified
(since --inplace conflicts with --partial-dir), and (2) when --delay-updates was speci‐
fied (see below).

For the purposes of the daemon-config’s "refuse options" setting, --partial-dir does not
imply --partial. This is so that a refusal of the --partial option can be used to dis‐
allow the overwriting of destination files with a partial transfer, while still allowing
the safer idiom provided by --partial-dir.

--delay-updates
This option puts the temporary file from each updated file into a holding directory
until the end of the transfer, at which time all the files are renamed into place in
rapid succession. This attempts to make the updating of the files a little more atomic.
By default the files are placed into a directory named ".~tmp~" in each file’s destina‐
tion directory, but if you’ve specified the --partial-dir option, that directory will be
used instead. See the comments in the --partial-dir section for a discussion of how
this ".~tmp~" dir will be excluded from the transfer, and what you can do if you want
rsync to cleanup old ".~tmp~" dirs that might be lying around. Conflicts with --inplace
and --append.

This option uses more memory on the receiving side (one bit per file transferred) and
also requires enough free disk space on the receiving side to hold an additional copy of
all the updated files. Note also that you should not use an absolute path to --par‐
tial-dir unless (1) there is no chance of any of the files in the transfer having the
same name (since all the updated files will be put into a single directory if the path
is absolute) and (2) there are no mount points in the hierarchy (since the delayed
updates will fail if they can’t be renamed into place).

See also the "atomic-rsync" perl script in the "support" subdir for an update algorithm
that is even more atomic (it uses --link-dest and a parallel hierarchy of files).

sudodus
February 19th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Good point. Check the upload time on the web page to be sure you are still downloading the same version. "Daily" does not guarantee "once each day at the same time." It's a testing snapshot; sometimes it's down, sometimes it fails to boot, sometimes it get respun multiple times in one day to address a critical bug, sometimes the daily is delayed by a few hours.

It may be worthwhile to plan an longer or higher-speed connection session (at a cafe, for example) to get the entire file at once. Or perhaps you may consider using a stable release instead of a testing version.

+1