PDA

View Full Version : This site's web page I have trouble with in firefox

sdowney717
February 17th, 2014, 10:42 PM
http://www.registercitizen.com/general-news/20140211/column-is-this-the-end-of-europes-open-borders

When I go there and try to scroll, it refuses to respond, then jerks down.
All I wanted was to read the article, and it was stopping me from this.
I have not seen a page this bad for a long time.
I can not drag the scroll bar, everything is like molasses there even several minutes later.
So whats up with it?
How smoothly does it work for you?

deadflowr
February 17th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Works fine for me(firefox 27, Ubuntu 12.04.?), though I have no comment on the content.

Edit: Forgot to mention I do have an ad-blocker on as well as flashblock, though.
For what it's worth.

monkeybrain20122
February 17th, 2014, 10:59 PM
No problem whatsoever. FF27, Ubuntu 13.10.

Edited: I have an adblocker as well but I don't use flashblock, just set flash to "ask to activate" in Tools > Plugins so basically it is the same as flashblock, but built into FF.

sdowney717
February 17th, 2014, 11:01 PM
That might be it, on firefox I have no add blocker.
I usually use chrome with addblock plus.

The few times I use Firefox, it is much slower than Chrome.
I have Chrome setup to reload tabs. Chrome crashed with 25 tabs open (stopped responding) so thought I would try Firefox.

monkeybrain20122
February 17th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Use adblock edge instead of adblock plus on FF. :)
see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2205349&p=12928312#post12928312

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM
I am using Firefox 27.0 and Adblock Plus without any problems on that website.

monkeybrain20122
February 17th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I see. I disabled ad blocker to try this again. There are apparently a lot of new boxes asking to activate flash, since you don't have adblocker and flash loads automatically no wonder it is slow.

So get an adblocker. You don't need flashblock for newer versions of Firefox, the option to launch flash on demand is built in, go to Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and configure flash to "ask to activate"

monkeybrain20122
February 18th, 2014, 12:00 AM
That might be it, on firefox I have no add blocker.
I usually use chrome with addblock plus.

The few times I use Firefox, it is much slower than Chrome.
I have Chrome setup to reload tabs. Chrome crashed with 25 tabs open (stopped responding) so thought I would try Firefox.

If you have many tabs use FF for sure because the tabs are not loaded until you actually click on it so it can support a lot more open tabs than Chrome. On my machine Chrome takes forever to start and uses a lot of memory with 30 tabs or so but I can keep 100+ tabs on FF easily.

deadflowr
February 18th, 2014, 12:00 AM
So get an adblocker. You don't need flashblock for newer versions of Firefox, the option to launch flash on demand is built in, go to Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and configure flash to "ask to activate"

Aye, I just happen to have flashblock out of legacy, or from a long time ago.
Wells fine though, still.

buzzingrobot
February 18th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Works here with or without extensions enabled on FF27. The drop down menus grab about one-third of the screen, but that's all I find. (I do have smooth scrolling disabled.)

sdowney717
February 18th, 2014, 12:05 PM
addblock plus fixed the site for me.
It no longer hangs or stops responding and scrolling is smooth.

My system is a core2duo 2.3ghz and high speed cox 25 down 7 up so I should have plenty of power.

Don_Stahl
February 18th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Yeah, as one poster mentioned there are a LOT of ads on that page -- I counted about 6. In Chrome with no ad-block the page basically never stops loading, even over the T1 connection at work. Could be it's not an issue of CPU and memory, but an issue of internet connection!

With Firefox and no-script plus flash-block, the page loads very fast.

IMHO, web advertisers are shooting their own feet. The more intrusive the advertising, the more people will program and use ad-blocking software.

deadflowr
February 18th, 2014, 05:31 PM
IMHO, web advertisers are shooting their own feet. The more intrusive the advertising, the more people will program and use ad-blocking software.

I don't blame advertisers for this, they just do what the web page owners want.
Though I'm sure they nudge those owners to throw as much junk on the page as they possibly can.

Redalien0304
February 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Works fine for me on Ubuntu 13.10 Firefox 27 with Adblock plus