PDA

View Full Version : I really like Ubuntu, but always using windows.

Josey
February 17th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I have a gripe though. I use windows to make things like netflix easier to use. I had it running in a vm but there was a quality issue. That and gaming, but some games I play have long had linux clients. I am one of those people that is really close to making the move to never running windows again.

My problem right now since I have an older video card is that I have to tip toe around updating and not screwing up the oldest catalyst driver that is supported. I can't update my kernel or I lose OpenGL.

As a gamer, I'm pretty excited that Steam has thrown it's support behind Linux gaming and can't wait to see what the future holds for it.

Love the OS and love the community! Keep up the good fight for all of us lazy people on windows!

Edit to add: The reason for this post is that I have 523 updates available and no Idea whick I can have checked to not screw up my video driver.

monkeybrain20122
February 17th, 2014, 10:23 PM
I have a gripe though. I use windows to make things like netflix easier to use. I had it running in a vm but there was a quality issue. That and gaming, but some games I play have long had linux clients. I am one of those people that is really close to making the move to never running windows again.

My problem right now since I have an older video card is that I have to tip toe around updating and not screwing up the oldest catalyst driver that is supported. I can't update my kernel or I lose OpenGL.

Not sure how old your graphic card is, but you may be able to use pipelight for Netflix. http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html

deadflowr
February 17th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Edit to add: The reason for this post is that I have 523 updates available and no Idea whick I can have checked to not screw up my video driver.

You shouldn't get anything other than a kernel update, which should still be within the same kernel series you are already running.
Typically, these bork up because dkms isn't installed right.

You wouldn't be updating the graphics stack or going from the 3.2 kernel to the 3.5 kernel or anything.

Of course the easy solution to avoid all this stress is to get a new gpu.

Josey
February 17th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Yeah, in a perfect world I'd have the money for a new card. :)
HD 4800 series is my current GPU.

mastablasta
February 18th, 2014, 09:23 AM
you will be pleased to know that AMD worked with opensoruce team to improved the opensource drivers that will be in 14.04 LTS for these chips. they not on par with proprietary yet but they are very close already.

buzzingrobot
February 18th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Also, there are ways to effectively prevent specific packages from being updated. I can't really recommend it, but it is possible.

mips
February 18th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah, in a perfect world I'd have the money for a new card. :)
HD 4800 series is my current GPU.

Should you ever get a new card go nVidia and save yourself a lot of hassle.