PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity/Compiz Slowing Down Over Time

LillyDragon
February 17th, 2014, 03:16 AM
Mostly posting this thread out of curiosity, encase it has been encountered before.

Unity honestly runs great on my HP laptop's hardware with Intel graphics, but I've noticed that after resuming it from suspend enough times throughout the week, (I put my laptop to sleep at night instead of shutting it down.) the whole UI is slower, switching desktops transitions becomes a choppy, laggy mess, and hardware accelerated software like GIMP have frustrating lag/delays in response time. However, rebooting the system brings everything back up to speed.

Since rebooting the system is all it takes to get the original speed back, I'm wondering why it does this? If it's Compiz having issues, would logging in and out do the trick too? Windows 7 or the XFCE DE never slowed down for me in that way, so this is pretty unique to Unity. I've only seen Skype behave in this way after a week's long session, (It'd start hogging three times as much CPU for itself than normal.) and I would have to restart the program.

LillyDragon
March 2nd, 2014, 04:35 AM
Slight bump because I feel like I came a little closer to resolving it. I noticed Unity's transitions lag more when there was a lot of spam from OSD Notifier. (Skype messages, IRC, Pidgin, Rhythmbox, etc.) So I cut down on using OSD Notify as much, and the interface lag became non-existent. I also restart Skype every other day, because it starts hogging more CPU usage to itself over a period of days, so it's not background processes.

It did randomly become choppy again today, however, but logging out and back in again fixed that, instead of an outright reboot. No idea why it's doing this.