PDA

View Full Version : using the "something else" option as windows 8 not detected by 12.04

LinuxVirgin2000
February 16th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Hi,
firstly let me just say i'm a bit of a novice, i've only ever installed livux on a computer once, and everything i know about computers i've learned from you tube! so please use baby words that I can understand :p

So im trying to get 12.04 installed alongside windows 8 which was pre installed on my Ultrabook

The problem is that it's not giving me an option to install alongside windows as its not detecting it! (although it does detect all the partitions on the SSD plus an extra little one that windows has not detected) So i'm probably going to have to use the "something else" option and manually partition

Ideally it would be great if someone could tell me how to get ubuntu to recognise Windows but looking at other threads with that question i'm thinking no one actually knows how to do that!

So failing that can someone help me out with this manual partitioning because I really don't know much at all about partitioning.

my first problem is that there are already so many partitions on the SSD (look at the attached screen shot), but i thought you can only have 4 partitions on a drive? and in ubuntu one more partition is detected (134mb NTFS) which windows does not detect.

my plan was to shrink the "C" drive and then install ubuntu into the space created but im just thinking how can i make another partition if there is already more than 4?

Im so confused, why is this all so complicated, it used to be so simple before all this UEFI and secure boot etc :(

thanks in advance

LinuxVirgin2000
February 17th, 2014, 12:04 AM
please also note, I have 8GB RAM so im planning to NOT make a swap partition because I don't think i need it, so I just need to know how to make the main partition and how to make ubuntu use the windows efi partition (i seen here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI) it says don't make a second efi partiton is there already is a windows efi partition)

hope that makes sense!