PDA

View Full Version : Code::Blocks

Hanj
July 21st, 2006, 11:00 PM
I've been trying out Code::Blocks with debs I found here (http://www.savefile.com/projects.php?pid=547711), and I have to say it's the best Linux IDE I've come across so far. The only problem is that the development version crashes a little too frequently. So now I have two questions:
1. Is there any Ubuntu repository for C::B? It would be nice to have it updated automatically, and hopefully the crashes will become more rare after some time.
2. Is there anywhere I can find a deb for the stable version? The link on the C::B website was dead. I couldn't find any good list on which features would be missing in the stable version, so I didn't know if it was worth to keep on looking. But the stable version might be an alternative if it has everything I need.

jjtechno
July 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM
I have the same IDE on my machine. I am very pleased with it. C++ mostly, I too would love to see it here.
best regards

tzulberti
July 24th, 2006, 03:24 AM
It took me a lot of time: but it can be downloaded form here:
http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5358

BuffaloX
July 24th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I can also recomend the code::Blocks own forum. It's very good.
The developers are there, and they are usually very helpful.

Hanj
July 24th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks alot, tzulberti! That's great!

cstudent
August 9th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I'm the one currently building the Ubuntu .debs for Code::Blocks. It's my hope to get a .deb added to the Ubuntu universe repository.

The easiest way to find the lastest build is go to the Code::Blocks website and click on the forum link. Look for the lastest build in the Nightly Builds section.

cstudent

nihilocrat
August 9th, 2006, 06:57 PM
code::blocks is definitely my C/C++ IDE of choice. It provides a Visual Studio-like interface so the legions of coders who were taught in those IDEs have a comfortable transition. It's also amazingly, ridiculously pluggable, and does an amazingly good job of realizing that it's an IDE and it's not the business of an IDE to define the entire build toolchain.

I haven't tried it out on Linux yet, but I really need to. The one thing I don't like about the project is their release process... currently the nightly builds are lightyears beyond 1.0rc2, but the new user is probably going to go with the stable build. They end up missing out on a lot of the functionality Code::Blocks now has.

Christmas
August 9th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I tried it when I was using Windows and didn't like it. I loved Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2, but unfortunately it doesn't have a version for Linux (I know it had one, but it was old and the project died anyway).

jjtechno
August 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Berlios has the latest build in a .deb. It didn't require a lot of fuss to install. I have Version 1 build 2796 and it is comfortable on Dapper, no troubles.
regards

tzulberti
August 9th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I tried it when I was using Windows and didn't like it. I loved Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2, but unfortunately it doesn't have a version for Linux (I know it had one, but it was old and the project died anyway).

I have been tring to use it, and I found it very unstable. The windows version is much more stable.

X.Cyclop
August 9th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Download the latest nightly build: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?board=20.0 ;)

hecato
August 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/codeblocks/ is the home, there in the downloads you can get the nightly build including the ubuntu deb file for 64-bits.

misterE0
August 11th, 2006, 03:46 AM
i love this IDE, however, i've had issues with every version I have installed when i save by hotkey (ctrl-s) it crashes. The good news is it does save the file before the crash. I'd love it if they fixed that issue alone.

Copter
August 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM
ive installed this IDE mainly to work with wxWidgets. nightly builds works very nice. it has some little problems with polish characters but it is still the best IDE ive found on linux.