PDA

View Full Version : Hey, im new

gigasea2
February 15th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Hey guys im new here, i have been using gnu/linux for quite some time now and thought i would register and get to know a few people
i also have a few questions :) so don't mind me

What are your primary programming languages?
C++, C, Java
Do you love coffee?
i drink a bit too much coffee
How many computers do you have?
1x Computer, 1x Laptop running kubuntu and Debian

also i have another question, why are some windows users so ignorant about open source operating systems, haha
i one time brought my laptop over to a friends house right, and they said oh your using linux you do know that crashes more then windows, yet they expect there gpu to work yet a driver didn't even come out for it yet on ubuntu, because of how new it was.... -.- haha :P i love linux because it just works, never had it crash on me tends to be really stable and i can write software on it and improve on it without any issues :P

and last and not least
what distro are you using atm?

deadflowr
February 15th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Do you love coffee?

Seems like you do.:P

But I, too, like coffee.

tgalati4
February 15th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I have a Saeco Royal SuperAutomatic Cafe Crema maker. I try to limit myself to 2 cups per day. I prefer a light roast that keeps the oil inside the bean such as Dumb Starbucks Blond Roast. I have a business partner who roasts his own beans so I use that as well--Monsoon Malabar with a couple of other origin beans(which I can't remember) roasted to Full City.

I probably have 10 computers not counting servers or embedded devices. Everything runs linux or it doesn't get juice.

I like to program in obscure languages, like Pascal, that I learned years ago in college.

Welcome to the forums.

linuxyogi
February 15th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I love coffee too but my doctor has asked to stay away from coffee coz coffee makes my cholesterol level go high.

I had 2 computers both running Linux. My old PC stopped working last year.

I dont know any programming language. I am just a casual desktop user using Linux as a replacement of Windows.

I find Linux to be far superior in comparison to windows in terms of security and stability.

coldraven
February 15th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Hi, I have stopped drinking instant coffee because it does bad things to my guts. Real coffee is OK.
I have a laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 and a netbook running Xubuntu 13.10.
I would never go back to Windows but I can run XP in VirtualBox if I need to.
I'm thinking of building a water cooled tower to do some intensive video editing but I need to have a holiday first.
I'm not an everyday programmer but I've dabbled in HTML CSS and Javascript. I'd like to be profiicient in Python and PHP.

Iowan
February 15th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I'm also trying to limit myself to 2 cups/day.
Too many computers... This one runs 12.04, servers in various configurations, a BeagleBone Black running an ARM variant of Ubuntu, but no Ubuntu on the Raspberry Pi.
I remember (barely) college with APL,ADA,SNOBOL, PL/I (one of my favorites), LISP (hated LISP),Assembler,as well as FORTRAN, Pascal, and COBOL. Currently trying to (re)learn PHP and Python.

I use Windows at work - no choice, but I don't hate (or even dislike) Windows (remember DESQview?). I'm not a fanatic who chants "Linux is best, <expletive> the rest", but it's nice to have a choice!

OrangeCrate
February 15th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Deleted

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 16th, 2014, 12:14 AM
I am retired so I do not program very much any more. I started with FORTRAN IV back in the stone age :) I still do some Perl programming.

I don't drink coffee. I get my caffeine in other ways.

I have cut the number of computers I have since I retired. Not counting my wife's computers, I now have 1X quad core laptop, 1X netbook, 1X desktop, and 1X server that has enough cores and RAM to run a half dozen VMs. They all have Windows 7 installed as a dual boot partition or as a VM; however, it has been a long time since I booted them to Windows 7. Since I retired, I have had no need for Microsoft Windows. If I find a need for Microsoft Windows, I have no problems with using it.

Quite a few people aren't just "ignorant about open source operating systems", they are ignorant about computers in general. Not everyone is a geek :)

Edit: My main OS is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

gigasea2
February 16th, 2014, 05:37 AM
FORTRAN IV? wow thats old haha, i know a little about it but have never really coded in it myself, this is just a question but have you by any chance used unix system V? :P

3rdalbum
February 16th, 2014, 06:50 AM
\
What are your primary programming languages?
C++, C, Java

I have a tiny bit of Python under my belt. I've done a small amount of Javascript in the past, although I can't remember any of it now. I've also had a play with PHP. Funnily enough my best language is Hypertalk, which has been a dead programming language for about fifteen years, being the programming language for Hypercard stacks.

Do you love coffee?

I like it, but I have to be careful how much I drink and when. I rarely drink instant. I drink plunger and espresso coffee, but most cafes are useless at making it so I find myself visiting petrol stations with automatic coffee machines.

How many computers do you have?
1x Computer, 1x Laptop running kubuntu and Debian

One desktop running 12.04, a netbook running 13.04 (actually Linux Mint), a home server running 10.04 at my parents' house and a Windows Vista desktop.

also i have another question, why are some windows users so ignorant about open source operating systems, haha

Most have never used anything except Windows and whatever's on their mobile phone. They probably take their opinions from what people have read. If they still use Windows and have tried Linux before, then they've gone in there expecting to be experts "because I've been using Windows for years" and then have been burnt by their overconfidence. If you go into Linux realising that your Windows experience means nothing and that you're a Linux noob, then you'll be fine. If you expect Linux to work just like Windows, then you'll think that the operating system is at fault, rather than yourself.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 16th, 2014, 07:30 AM
FORTRAN IV? wow thats old haha, i know a little about it but have never really coded in it myself, this is just a question but have you by any chance used unix system V? :P

I never used Unix System V. I was about 40 years old when it came out. :)

Don_Stahl
February 17th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Mmmm, coffee. My wife and I put a little cayenne pepper in it. Mmmm, capsaicin.

Desktop, dual-boot Win 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. Old laptop, multi-boot various distros, currently Zorin, Sabayon, Salix, and Manjaro. Netbook, Ubuntu 12.04, will install Manjaro on this one, too. REALLY old Mac with Lubuntu, and another with the original OS -- 10.4, Tiger, I believe. Kinda slow, those last two.

Porgarming languages? Alas, I use VB.net at work. Needed to interface with some OPC stuff. Would like to transition to C++ but too lazy. (Also, no time.) Ever heard of SEBOL? Scripting language for automation. Learning a little Python.