PDA

View Full Version : So what do you name your stuff?

seth7
February 15th, 2014, 01:23 AM
I always want to come up with clever names for my new laptops and such but it never happens. Actually I just named my 3.0 TB External HDD MARDIS for media and relative data in storage. What'd you name your stuff?

bc.haynes
February 15th, 2014, 01:50 AM
I used to call it M78 (for the model number), but that sounded too much like a weapon, so I changed it to MissionControl. I name my USB sticks by their capacities....16G, 32G, 64G. etc.. That's about the extent of my naming stuff. :)

Jay Car
February 15th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Henry.

hellion0
February 16th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I name my machines after Pokemon, oddly enough.

My current roster of machines includes Gardevoir (the fifth such machine to bear that name), Hydreigon, Salamence (my laptops), Deoxys (my server) and Flabebe (my Raspberry Pi, running as a SSH server.)

In the past I've also had machines named Altaria, Skarmory, Latias, Gallade, Flygon and Mesprit.

Samhain13
February 16th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I name my computers (including mobile stuff) after ancient Egyptian places; i.e., Memphis, Karnak, etc.

zacktu
February 16th, 2014, 06:49 PM
My devices are named for opera composers: puccini, beethoven, mozart, verdi, bizet, ...

Roasted
February 17th, 2014, 02:58 AM
server - pluto
backup server - backup
ssid 2.4ghz - skynet
ssid 5.0ghz - area51
desktop - jason-desktop
laptop - jason-laptop
wife laptop - kristi-laptop

I lost interest in making witty names for everything when I began to have a hard time remembering what was what. Now I just kind of roll with the above.

Frogs Hair
February 17th, 2014, 03:33 AM
The strangest names have been Locutus & Quazmoripper . Loctutus has been recycled and the other ,a home build desktop was renamed when the operating system was reinstalled.

1clue
February 17th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Computers: dieties from some specific mythology. Every subnet is a different mythology.

Printers: termite, lumberjack, treekiller, etc.

WIFI: FBI surveillance van 23. I think this may have cut down on the revenue stream from a few apartments in the area. Got the idea from Facebook, liked it. Lots of moving trucks lately. This bothers me not even slightly.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 17th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I never have used clever names. I guess that is because I was a system admin for a very large company for many years. I got accustom to using IP Addresses and UUIDs. I knew several hundred of them and didn't have to look them up. Clever device names don't work very well when the DHCP and DNS servers go down :)

I did name my home wifi networks "Not_Yours" and "Not_Yours_Too", just to be nice to my wife, children, grandchildren, and neighbors.

frankmorris2
February 18th, 2014, 01:46 AM
I am not a creative person I guess.
I name my computers from the brands: v570 for the laptop, delltower for the desktop.
It's fairly simple and easy to remember.

At work, the situation is different, we use a naming convention like this:
Location-System-Subsystem-Type-SequentialNumber

The planet naming convention looks great for my home network. I might look into that :D

sandyd
February 18th, 2014, 01:58 AM
To Date...:

TinaFey (server)
AmyPoehler (server)
MollyQuinn (server)
DemiLovato (server)
ChloeBennett (server)
SelenaGomez (server)
LilyEvans (server)
JewelStaite (server)
TaylorSwift (server)
MeganAndLiz (server)
QueenPyri (MBP)
PrincessSophie (Mac Pro)
BrittNicole (testing laptop)
FaithHill (Desktop)
PrincessAnna (Server)
MillaJovovich (Server)

All the tf2server names are boring :(
tf2server-1/2/3/etc

Irihapeti
February 18th, 2014, 04:15 AM
My partitions and so forth have highly boring names such as "data", "Precise", "movies", "pics" and so on.

I do have a bluetooth connection called "trojan territory" and my wireless SSID is called "Virus_den". Whether it makes anyone think twice about trying to connect, I have no idea...

Kirboosy
February 18th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I use Halo the video game characters as my naming scheme.

Cortana -- Server
Arbiter -- Desktop
Didact -- Netbook
Gravemind -- Laptop

I used Greek Gods at work to name my servers at one point. Just find a series or something that sounds good to you and run with it. As long as you are happy with the names that is all that matters.

mips
February 18th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Asterix characters from the comic book series. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix)

Notebook - asterix
Desktop - obelix
Router - brutus

Habitual
February 18th, 2014, 07:15 PM
my external media is named "Keepers" so I don't lose it :)

mindy2
February 18th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I once had a laptop named Larry, but now I have a high school issued Macbook who has many obscene names.

Erik1984
February 18th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Very boring in geral

$USER-$devicename

so

device1="desktop"
device2="laptop"
deviceName1=$USER-$device1
deviceName2=$USER-$device2

OrangeCrate
February 18th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I am not a creative person I guess.
I name my computers from the brands: v570 for the laptop, delltower for the desktop.
It's fairly simple and easy to remember.

At work, the situation is different, we use a naming convention like this:
Location-System-Subsystem-Type-SequentialNumber

The planet naming convention looks great for my home network. I might look into that :D

Me too:

T43
T400
X220

and at the CLI:

@T43, etc.

CompyTheInsane
February 18th, 2014, 10:07 PM
d0g (Gaming rig)
vortigaunt (main laptop)
thebluspy (laptop)
<unnamed> (Raspberry pi)
itsmeowingtime (LAN Party server/laptop)

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 19th, 2014, 12:09 AM
My partitions and so forth have highly boring names such as "data", "Precise", "movies", "pics" and so on.

I do have a bluetooth connection called "trojan territory" and my wireless SSID is called "Virus_den". Whether it makes anyone think twice about trying to connect, I have no idea...

I gave my mother-in-law's network the SSID of "Virus Infected Network". It was actually true quite often as her computer was a Microsoft Windows machine and she gave the admin password to her male children and nephews. The male children/nephews would go to questionable websites to download stuff ;).

Edit: the mother-in-law died 7.5 years ago so don't suggest ways to fix the problem :)

echotech2
February 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM
My computer names me, usually IDIOT, if you want to type the letter "A" press the key with the letter "A" on it.

Linuxratty
February 20th, 2014, 11:36 PM
A hard drive named CHAOS.
I usually don't do that..I just name computers. Names such as:Dragon's egg,Falcon, Gozzin,The White Box, etc.

knpoe
February 23rd, 2014, 07:32 PM
i always name the things randomly because amusement.

Cardamominal
February 23rd, 2014, 08:40 PM
I name my computer parts after letters in the Greek alphabet. However, I never use the same letter twice. My original machine (Alpha) has been getting hardware updates over the course of the last decade. Now, before you argue that it's no longer the "Alpha" I started with, keep in mind it still has the original CD/DVD drive in it. Literally everything else has been changed, even the case.

I believe I'm currently up to Epsilon.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 23rd, 2014, 10:36 PM
My computer names me, usually IDIOT, if you want to type the letter "A" press the key with the letter "A" on it.

We always spelled it ID10T.

estamets
February 25th, 2014, 02:56 PM
My 14.04 desktop is named Isidore. Short for St. Isidore of Seville, the patron saint of computers. My Ipad is named Templar. I didn't realize it until now, but I think the reason I do that might be because of the movie The Saint with Val Kilmer. Don't know why..

TheHesser
February 25th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I have a computer called Blackbox.
My webserver is a Sun Netra T1 With Ubuntu 8.04 is called: webserver
My printer server is a Dell Optiplex 3something and is called: printerserver

Laptops are called LT[number]
Desktops are called PC[number]

su:bhatta
February 26th, 2014, 06:02 AM
My laptop, primary machine, is called nbe42 ( non-bhatta-entity-42). I am Bhatta, and this laptop is the non-bhatta-entity
(taken from Transformers and Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy :)

My wireless is Bhatworx (Work of Bhatta), and my primary storage drive is called WhatKnot ( with the partitions named after their OS's :
eg : Microsoft Ate (8), Wheezy, Studio, eOS....

One of these days I might just change it all to Asterix thingys, eg: Menhir, Fulliautomatix etc :)

By the way, my car (Chevy) is called : Hobo, after Hobo's Lullaby ...

Also, I name my guitars and amps.... ;) My Black Fender acoustic is called Black Pearl etc

papibe
February 26th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Guitar Players:

vaughan desktop
vanhalen laptop
page old laptop

crow wife's laptop
tedeschi wife's old laptop

BuddyGuy chromecast

reinhardt server
hendrix server
Regards.

February 26th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Ah, Forgot : Samsung Android Tablet is called : Marvin: The Paranoid Android (Again HHtG)

barbarah2
February 26th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I call mine "Baby"

Nayab Basha Sayed
February 27th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Only my name of course to ensure it's mine

k-tim-b
February 27th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Whatever comes to mind... I have a desktop, a huge dv7 laptop and an old dell 420...named.. timsdesk, timstank, timsmini.

PJs Ronin
February 27th, 2014, 02:08 PM
In the morning when the coffee is fresh... babe,

By about 4pm and I've borked an install or two and I can't find my glasses... well the mods won't let me print those words.

SeijiSensei
February 27th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I name my machines after Pokemon, oddly enough.

My current roster of machines includes Gardevoir (the fifth such machine to bear that name), Hydreigon, Salamence (my laptops), Deoxys (my server) and Flabebe (my Raspberry Pi, running as a SSH server.)

In the past I've also had machines named Altaria, Skarmory, Latias, Gallade, Flygon and Mesprit.

Doesn't sound odd to me at all, though those must all be more modern Pokemon than the original ones my daughter loved as a little girl. I named my firewall machine Snorlax (for rather obvious reasons if you know anything about Pokemon) and my server Pikachu. Snorlax became Fluffy when my daughter moved on from Pokemon to Harry Potter. If it wasn't so long to type, I might rename it "Gamagoori (http://i.imgur.com/zhweH6W.jpg)" or maybe just "Ira," from this show (http://www.crunchyroll.com/kill-la-kill).

The computer I'm typing on now is named "fuzzface," one of the nicknames we use for our kitty.

At a client's site we have used cartoon characters to name most servers. For a while we had the Flintstones, Fred, Wilma, and Bambam. Now we have a Rocky (for Rocket J. Squirrel), a Stimpy, and a Scooby among others. We also have a Pikachu there as well.

February 27th, 2014, 05:08 PM
The computer I'm typing on now is named "fuzzface," one of the nicknames we use for our kitty.

Incidentally Fuzzface is the name of a famous guitar effects pedal(stompbox), made famous by it's use by the legend Jimi Hendrix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzz_Face

ralph-beeby
February 28th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I started off on Debian, and didn't realise I'd have to provide a name during the installation...so I looked at the soothing blue background and decided to call it BlueGnu. The name just stuck, so when I migrated (defected?) to Ubuntu I continued the theme - can't remember if I'm up to BlueGnuIII or BlueGnuIV at home now.

My work computer has no such exciting name, unfortunately.

help_me2
March 3rd, 2014, 04:12 AM
I just call my laptop, "my laptop". Never had names for my machines.

Jake_Paine
March 4th, 2014, 02:43 PM
My PC is called Jakes-PC... :/

Pretty boring but that's what it is ahaha

punkboy22
March 4th, 2014, 03:21 PM
i name all mine after Final Fantasy cities and users are all the people from Final Fantasy

Jake_Paine
March 4th, 2014, 03:29 PM
i name all mine after Final Fantasy cities and users are all the people from Final Fantasy

That's actually pretty cool! Shame they all went downhill (for me) after 9 :(

punkboy22
March 4th, 2014, 03:35 PM
That's actually pretty cool! Shame they all went downhill (for me) after 9 :(

13 is a good trilogy and the new online one isn't bad.. really good stories

Jake_Paine
March 4th, 2014, 04:42 PM
13 is a good trilogy and the new online one isn't bad.. really good stories

Recently started 13 not finding it as immerse so far as the others - persisting though!

punkboy22
March 4th, 2014, 04:48 PM
im working on lightning returns right now loved 13-2 and 13-3 13 was ehh ok good story which is why i pushed through.