PDA

View Full Version : China switching from MS to Kylin Ubuntu

bc.haynes
February 14th, 2014, 09:08 PM
+ 100 for Kylin Ubuntu.

China shifts away from Microsoft (http://www.zdnet.com/china-switches-on-to-ubuntu-in-hunt-for-windows-xp-successor-7000026355/#ftag=RSS14dc6a9)

Don_Stahl
February 15th, 2014, 12:43 AM
From the Kylin website:

Youker is a simple yet powerful tool built to help Windows users migrate to Ubuntu as quickly and as smoothly as possible. This integrated tool aids with routine system maintenance tasks such as detecting hardware and handling interface customisation. You don’t need to worry about learning the Ubuntu way with Youker as your assistant.

buzzingrobot
February 15th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Very smart move.

Innerbreed121
February 16th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Asia and Europe will switch to Linux before the U.S just cause they despise Bill Gates. <snip>

source (http://www.openurls.org/)

lz1dsb
February 17th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Asia and Europe will switch to Linux before the U.S just cause they despise Bill Gates. <snip>
I don't see this happening anytime soon :)

monkeybrain20122
February 17th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I am cautiously optimistic, but just noted that in the end of the article

Another domestic Linux OS in China, Red Flag Linux, recently shutdown, according to a report by the site TechInAsia (http://www.techinasia.com/maker-chinas-domestic-desktop-os-dark-leaves-employees-pay/).

The TechInAsia article basically says that Red Flag has virtually disappeared overlight, after firing all its employees and failing to pay its electricity and water bills. There are allegations of corruption and mismanagement by the Institute of Software – Chinese Academy of Sciences.

vasa1
February 17th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I don't know anything about China and haven't seen any posters here claiming to be from there and being able to tell us what is happening on the ground.

In India, the other desktop OS is going strong ;)

Metalpen1984
February 17th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I not so optimistic about that. The question is, if they really want to promote or cost down via Linux, or using Linux for negotiation with Microsoft?

After EEEPC from ASUS was mounted with their own linux system, Microsoft has lower their price for ASUS. I don't know if China government are doing the same thing, but that is a ... good move if they try to give some pressure on Microsoft.

Microsoft has a really nice strategy, when you're just students and individuals, go ahead with piracy. After years of using these piracy, you've already get used to MS products such as OS, Office Suit, and even programming environment. So what happened when you're trying to use linux in a company?
"What the heck is these libreoffice?"
"Why can't I link to other computer via Remote Desktop?"
"The system structure is unbelievable!! what the heck is /home ? Where is my dlls?"

Even more, if you runs a company, you *MUST* buy those softwares, otherwise your employees will complain your IT strategy without mercy. Using piracy? You will lose a fortune before gaining profit.

I think, let's wait and see what happen next. However, making computer resource as free and open source is a great move.

monkeybrain20122
February 17th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I not so optimistic about that. The question is, if they really want to promote or cost down via Linux, or using Linux for negotiation with Microsoft?

As far as I know the Chinese govt does genuinely want to give MicroSoft the heave ho because it wants to achieve technological independence from foreign companies, but that being China, many projects with good intentions eventually turn into opportunities for unscrupulous business people, con artists and corrupt officials to make money and end in failure. E.g the notorious Hanxin scam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanxin

I am leaving it at that, for otherwise will venture into politics and get the thread locked.

Anand.Kumar
February 18th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Microsoft has a really nice strategy, when you're just students and individuals, go ahead with piracy. After years of using these piracy, you've already get used to MS products such as OS, Office Suit, and even programming environment. So what happened when you're trying to use linux in a company?

Well said. But their stratgy is no longer working. That's why their gowth is negative and Ubuntu Bug #1 is fixed.

But I think rather than developing their own version I think they should use existing OS and add some packages to it. It's like China is developing Kylin Ubuntu and India is developting another called BOSS (Bharat Operating System Solution). It will be quite confusing for users at some point (there are plenty of versions ubuntu itself and many other FOSS OSes). Isn't it?