PDA

View Full Version : Hey, this time I'm raising a thumb for nvidia. Linus Torvalds

QDR06VV9
February 13th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Well this looks promising.
Probably not new to some, but reading some of my morning threads I ran across this (https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/TQDXxxr6ixm)
And also an Email from Nividia (http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2014-January/053028.html)
For me this great news to finally have a major vendor look at Linux at least a little more seriously.
I Guess it just takes a gentle nudge! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ)
Regards

mattlach
February 13th, 2014, 04:40 PM
That looks like it is most aimed towards scientific GPU compute applications, but should help with desktop graphics as well.

I would expect that MANY more hardware vendors are going to take Linux more seriously with SteamOS and Steamboxes being launched. I'm optimistic that what Valve is doing could finally tip the scales in favor of Desktop linux, ans the biggest problem has always been ahardware compatibility (which has gotten MUCH better over the years) and Software compatibility (which i still a bit lacking on many fronts, unless you are satisfied with subpar work-alikes (like Libre-Office and Gimp) or fighting with Wine (usability nightmare) to get things to work properly.

I am cautiously Optimistic.

Oh and quite frankly, Linus Torvalds can suck it.

We all owe him a great deal for his work in creating the original kernel and whatnot, but quite frankly the way that kid throws temper tantrums all the time as soon as something doesn't go exactly his way, it's like he never grew beyond the age of 6...

In fact, I think my girlfriends six year old is better behaved most of the time...

Sooner or later that immature man-child will **** off enough people, and his influence will diminish to a footnote in the creation story of Linux.

IMHO, Linus Torvalds is one of the (many) things holding Linux back from more mainstream adoption these days. His attitude brings the Linux community a bad name and drives many would-be contributors away. He needs to either grow up, or go away.

QDR06VV9
February 13th, 2014, 05:17 PM
That looks like it is most aimed towards scientific GPU compute applications, but should help with desktop graphics as well.
I am cautiously Optimistic.

We all owe him a great deal for his work in creating the original kernel
Sure hope this dose not turn into a Flame or even Political Opinions.
There is an Old Saying "Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to get a Omelet"
I can how ever Respect your view point..

mips
February 13th, 2014, 06:55 PM
That looks like it is most aimed towards scientific GPU compute applications...

Why do you say that? I see nothing of the sorts.

This to me looks like support for Tegra GPUs in whatever application you tend to use them in. Tegra is probably not even suited for scientific compute applications, more low power & mobile applications

Am I missing something here?

mattlach
February 13th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Why do you say that? I see nothing of the sorts.

This to me looks like support for Tegra GPUs in whatever application you tend to use them in. Tegra is probably not even suited for scientific compute applications, more low power & mobile applications

Am I missing something here?

Nope. I made a quick read boo-boo.

I read Tegra, but for some reason was thinking Tesla.