PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 13.10 and other desktops

leftyleo
February 12th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I have been having problems using desktops other than Unity with Ubuntu 13.10 .
I tried KDE it worked but I didnt really like it that much - and on removing it, crashed Ub 13.10.
It took a full restore to get it back and working (though I am quite a beginner, I admit)
One desktop was more than a desktop and overwrote Ubuntu and had to do full re-install over that one too

Are there alternate desktops that play well with Ubuntu 13.10 ?
-any help is greatly appreciated

(this is for a laptop,hp pav. dv6, intel i3)

sudodus
February 12th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I suggest that you test desktop environments in a separate installed system (in a small partition or in a virtual machine) and leave your production system untouched until you know what you want.

grahammechanical
February 12th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I have also found that alternative desktops are more than a different User Interface. They also bring in lots of utilities. I once tried installing several alternative desktops one on top of the other for some kind of test. That really messed things up with conflicting configuration files. Not to be recommended. I suppose that alternative desktops do have their uses but I think that the complete installation of a Ubuntu flavour is best way to do it for avoiding stress. Dual boot.

Regards.

leftyleo
February 12th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Thank you for the advice .. and for me at this stage of my initial learning, a change like that is not necessary. I was just experimenting.
Over all, I'm am really enjoying this new world of Linux