PDA

View Full Version : major "mouse freeze on wake" problem for all Linux versions, why no permanet fix?

Daniel_Knight
February 12th, 2014, 12:12 AM
I've read that it is a kernel problem in Linux that the mouse pointer freezes after waking from hibernation, and I noticed in Mint Linux that it freezes both on waking from suspension and hibernation, but in Ubuntu, thank God, only for hibernation. This is a major problem isn't it, that forced people to shut their computer down, which may cause a critical loss of work or open people up for a security problem, and so on, so why in the world would this major flaw not be fixed? How many years now has it been since this has been a problem, and whoever is in charge of the kernel doesn't think it's a big deal? Who is this moron? I've tried the few solutions to get rid of this problem and it none worked.

Toz
February 12th, 2014, 05:48 AM
@Daniel_Knight, hello and welcome to the forums.

May I suggest a less adversarial and more detail-focused approach to asking a question? Many will read this post and simply move along because they don't want to deal with such an author. I know this was my initial inclination.

First of all, "mouse on wake freeze" is not a "major flaw" as you state. I understand that it is a problem that you are facing, but many people suspend and hibernate their computers regularly without this freeze. Calling kernel developers names will definitely not garner you any sympathy votes. (In fact, I encourage you to edit your initial post and remove the offending sentence).

Secondly, asking a question properly is the most important part of getting suggestions and possibly resolving your issue. Important information that you should include in your post:
- the version and flavour of Ubuntu that you are using
- the make and model of your computer
- the make, model and connection type of your mouse
- a listing if the things that you have tried (simply stating that "I've tried the few solutions..." is not detailed enough information)

The more information that you provide, in a less adversarial manner, the more likely that you will get some feedback. And please remember that we are all volunteers offering our expertise to assist others.