PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Returning to Ubuntu: Need some pointers

tinker123
February 11th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

I've been using Ubuntu since the beginning, but I've been away for a few years starting with the switch over to the touch screen interface.

I'm ready to come back home, but I have some questions.

My first concern is there good documentation somewhere to make it EASY to use a traditional desktop ( GNOME) instead of that new touch screen based UI? Is that traditional desktop actively supported.

My next question, is there a link for instruction to EASILY get everything proprietary & multimedia going ( ie codexs, etc )?

If there is good, easy to follow documentation for the latest greatest Ubuntu for these things I am ready to try coming home.

Thanks

Steve

tfrue
February 11th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Yes, in April the new LTS will be out which is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS that has the newest kernel and other updates and bug fixes. During installation, you can download extra codecs and third party plugins and you can download anything extra either from the Software Center or from source and compile it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/

Is a great source for documentation on your version of Ubuntu, and of course this and many other online forums will be at your disposal.

tinker123
February 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Yes, in April the new LTS
will be out which is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Good news.

During installation, you can download extra codecs and third party plugins

So you can just checkbox off options have all of the multimedia stuff done with upon installation? Awesome. I remember that being a DIY job post installation.

tfrue
February 11th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Well, it's a single check box that ask if you would like to install third-party plugins and codecs, you don't choose which ones. It looks like this picture here:
http://blog.code4life.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ubuntu-install-04.png

Chris

tfrue
February 11th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I suggest you dual-boot or put Ubuntu 13.10 in a VM and install it to see how it will work for you. You could even get a 4GB flash drive and install Ubuntu to the flash drive and try it out that way if you wanted to have a test drive.

Chris