PDA

View Full Version : I have taken the System76 Plunge

keithimyers
February 11th, 2014, 05:29 PM
After many years of removing Windows and installing Ubuntu, I have finally decided to take the plunge and go with a System76 Laptop.

Kudu Professional

Base System
$799.00
Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit

5 Free GB of Ubuntu One Online Storage and Sync

17.3" 1080p Full High Definition Matte Display ( 1920 x 1080 )

Intel® High Definition Graphics 4600

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor ( 2.4 GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading )
$89.00

16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8 GB
$175.00

Full Size Backlit Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

480 GB Crucial M500 Series mSATA Solid State Drive
$325.00

1 TB 5400 RPM SATA II
$95.00

8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n Wireless LAN + Bluetooth
$29.00

No Bag

1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 1 Yr. Technical Support

No Canada Warranty Shipping Coverage

Rush Assembly Service - Guaranteed shipping within 2 business days of your order ( not including day of order )
$49.00

Dragonbite
February 11th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Sounds pretty awesome! I've toyed with the idea of getting a S76 system.

Looks like a sweet system! You'll have to update on your thoughts and experiences when it comes in!

mips
February 11th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Different strokes for different folks ;)

neu5eeCh
February 12th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Jealous.

My next high-end laptop will either be a 76'er or something from ZaReason. That said, the very first thing I would do is to install a DE other than Unity -- probably KDE or anything that I can customize.

bug67
February 12th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Yeah, me too. No Unity. I prefer xfce.

mastablasta
February 12th, 2014, 08:55 AM
we need 76 in Europe!

lz1dsb
February 12th, 2014, 09:39 AM
But... System76 is already shipping in many counties in Europe ;)

mastablasta
February 12th, 2014, 03:44 PM
yes but there is customs tax and vat tax and transport cost and...

ok another option - we need the trade agreement between EU and USA to be finalised :-)

andyfied
February 12th, 2014, 05:38 PM
I agree, I specc'd out a new desktop and found that System76 was cheaper. Then I added the import tax and found it was more expensive :/

mips
February 12th, 2014, 06:32 PM
ok another option - we need the trade agreement between EU and USA to be finalised :-)

What we need is scrapping of all these laws wrt duties, taxes, concessions, subsidies etc so there is a level playing field so we actually move closer to free trade environment.

cigtoxdoc
February 13th, 2014, 01:13 AM
About 4 years ago, I purchased the hardened student mode for my Son who was then 11. First problem was that when there was an internal problem, it had to go back to System 76 and he as down for weeks. The second problem was low quality of the System 76 powere supplies. I would consider buying another System 76 machine, but I need on-site service, even when traveling abroad. I get that with my Dell Vostro 3500. I have dual boot Win XP Pro SP3 and Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit.

John

mips
February 13th, 2014, 09:13 AM
... but I need on-site service, even when traveling abroad. I get that with my Dell Vostro 3500.

John

That's the great thing about Dell, over here in South Africa they come highly recommended due to their onsite service policy. Got a problem you phone dell, do a quick diagnostic and the next day there's a guy at your door with a new motherboard, hard drive, lcd or whatever is needed to fix the thing. Heard nothing but good things about dell service and it's all part of the warranty.

Whenever someone asks me what they should buy I recommend dell due to their service. I see as of late Lenovo is also offering the same service here if I'm not mistaken which is great.

DimitrisC
February 15th, 2014, 12:10 PM
How is the battery life on it? I was considering the Galago Ultrapro but I think it fails the battery benchmark for ultrabooks.

knpoe
February 23rd, 2014, 07:10 PM
of the gazelle, I've provided 3 to clients -- no problems with any of the ones that came in to date.

mips
February 25th, 2014, 09:50 AM
yes but there is customs tax and vat tax and transport cost and...

http://www.ggsdata.se/index.php?page=laptops/ubuntulaptops.php
http://www.mysn.eu/se/index.php

Just two examples of places that sell ubutnu preinstalled laptops, both in Sweden. The first link sells the same Clevo models System76 rebrands...

I'm sure if people just put a bit of effort into searching they will find a local alternative.

mastablasta
February 25th, 2014, 11:20 AM
very pricy alternative. and shipping costs... uf.

we went with HP with SUSE preloaded

they have Dell here with Ubuntu but price is too high. i remember comparing these Vostro once (loaded with Ubuntu). and they had a model in Germany for 350 EUR. Same model here cost 700EUR. they guy was prepared to negotiate down to about 600 EUR. special price. i told them that their colleagues in German are selling this for 350. they were shocked. apparently that was under their supply price (they are exclusive dell distributor for the market). i told them that perhaps they should renegotiate with Dell.

anyway would like to see something with reasonable price, sturdy, robust (not some flimsy frame), linux preloaded and free shipping.