PDA

View Full Version : Vista is getting more comical to watch develop by the minute....

adam.tropics
July 21st, 2006, 07:48 PM
So how many linux stories have you read like this....! (source cfh newsletter, g4techtv)

"...

Earlier this week, I decided to take one of my computers on an adventure into the land of Vista beta 2. Knowing full well that this would be a test of patience, skill and determination, I chose my most capable companion, the 64 bit quad core I call Quadsely.

Before leaving, I studied the tales of those who made the journey before me. The triumphs, the failures, and those who just vanished... well... I've yet to hear of anyone who vanished, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Anyway, Quadsely and I set off late in the night, under the cover of darkness to avoid the siren who constantly tries to pry us apart. With the installation disk inserted, I fired Quadsley up. We were off. The boot sequence was right, and we were swiftly to the gates of Vista. I told the gatekeeper where we were from and the language we'd like to speak. Just a few moments later we found ourselves in the city of "Install now." The excitement was building and our grand adventure was looking more like a stroll through a meadow than a running of the gauntlet. I should have known better.

No hard disks could be found. Quadsely has no fewer than 5 disks in her but they had vanished without a trace. Our only recourse was to visit Lord BIOS, keeper of the disks. He told us the disks were fine and we should bring a memory stick of drivers so that they could be seen in Vista. But no, it was not the answer we were looking for. Still, no disks could be found.

I ran franticly back to Lord BIOS to see if there was anything I could change that might allow us entry to this mystical land. After a couple hours of tweaking and meddling, Quadsely and I found ourselves in the pit of "no operating system found." It was dark, we were lost and completely out of ideas. I cried out, "Leo? Sean? Mikey?"

A cruel and forbidding world, Vista got the best of us this time. But we are not easily beaten. Doubling and re-doubling our efforts, it's just a matter of time before Quadsely and I break through the outer walls.

Mike Lynett
Editor
......"

TravisNewman
July 21st, 2006, 07:54 PM
Best. Review. Ever. :) I would have never thought of writing it like a quest, and he does it better than I would expect :)

adam.tropics
July 21st, 2006, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I just found it a refreshing reminder that with all the money in the world behind it, no development process if flawless. Plus, it doesn't sound good at all when you think of the years that have gone into it, and this close to assumed release, at beta2 level......plus the writing style is kinda funny!