PDA

View Full Version : What photo manager do you use?

hizaguchi
July 21st, 2006, 05:56 PM
In the vein of the "which media app" threads, I'm curious what everybody uses for managing their digital pictures.

Personally, I used F-Spot in Gnome, but since I've gone back over to KDE I can't find anything comparable to its blend of simplicity and functionallity.

What photo apps do you prefer (in Gnome, KDE, whatever)? Why?

FISHERMAN
July 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM
gThumb

ComplexNumber
July 21st, 2006, 06:00 PM
gqview.

jordilin
July 21st, 2006, 06:04 PM
I use F-Spot, it's quite nice

beercz
July 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM
F-Spot for me too! Simple, effective.

nickle
July 21st, 2006, 09:24 PM
digikam is great better than F-spot IMHO...

bruce89
July 21st, 2006, 09:26 PM
gThumb

lazyd2
July 21st, 2006, 09:27 PM
F-spot

beniwtv
July 21st, 2006, 09:50 PM
just gThumb

haven't so much photos there.... :mrgreen:

gurgle
July 21st, 2006, 09:53 PM
i iwsh google would bring out picasa2 so i could upload my web albums

djsroknrol
July 21st, 2006, 10:21 PM
Gthumb for me as well...'till they port Photoshop...;)

jpkotta
July 21st, 2006, 11:48 PM
GQView. I wish it would get ported to Windows.

AndyCooll
July 22nd, 2006, 12:38 AM
I don't have many photos and don't tend to spend much time tagging them etc (in fact I don't spend any time at all), so I just end up using the default apps. I don't tend to bother with a photo manager very much though I like F-Spot if I had to choose.

However, when I was moving the missus away from XP she wanted something as similar to that "slideshow" type approach the XP folders can have or Paint Shop Pro for viewing purposes. So we had a look at a few. And in Linux the one that she's grown happiest using is Gwenview.

:cool:

linux_believer
January 17th, 2007, 05:31 AM
digikam - very good just a bit heavy
gThumb - very simple, easy and lite
fspot - tried it but stopped. I dont understand why you have to import the photos instead of managing where they currently are

For resizing/cropping use gThumb
If you want a little more than that use digikam

andiii
January 17th, 2007, 05:43 AM
When comparing to GQview I found the image quality to be lower in gThumb, when displaying an image at a smaller scale (e.g. 75% zoom)

fuscia
January 17th, 2007, 06:02 AM
i use thunar and image viewer (isn't that eog?) and edit them in gimp, unless i'm using kde, in which case i use dolphin, kview and gimp. i found f-stop, digikam and the like, to be a giant pain in the ***. they seem more interested in doing what they want and not what i want. (meh. that was a bit dramatic.)

MkfIbK7a
January 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM
i use digikam for downloading them then i edit them in gimp
i am an amateur photographer i have a
canon powershot s45
its awesome:D

MCSE_Crossover
February 13th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I really like Digikam and it really meets all my needs. I am a recent convert from the "Windows" world and have gone through a stressful time trying to find a qualifying digital photo manager. On the Windows side, I used Picasa mainly because it was free - but always prefered the overall functionality of ACDSee over Picasa. I like the "tree" view that allows your to add/remove folders and drag/drop pictures as needed. Digikam allows for this, simple resizing, editing, red eye, etc. and allows me to email with my default email client. I have tried f-spot and wasn't overly impressed. gThumb is lacking definately. Picasa would be a strong candidate if there was a native port to Linux, but the wine emulation just isn't very good. Hope that helps.

karellen
February 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM
gthumb - fast, simple, easy