PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fresh install 13.10, no option to change window manager

CTate
February 7th, 2014, 03:27 AM
Just installed 13.10 and I find myself trapped in Unity. On the last box I had something else running, maybe Gnome classic (I think.) But with 13.10 I don't see any option at login for changing Window Managers at all.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Sorry if this has been covered, I searched and couldn't find the answer. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

CTate
February 7th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Found it, little circle to the right of the login name. Almost like they are trying to hide it.

Only has "Ubuntu(Default)" as an option, I guess it's the only Window Manager installed by default.

vasa1
February 7th, 2014, 04:21 AM
Your choice of words is interesting. I'd suggest you shouldn't assume that an update will offer the same experience as the version you are updating from. Depending on one's perspective, there maybe noticeable breakages or improvements ...

I don't know of many distros that offer a wide choice of window managers by default. Most distros do provide ways to install additional window managers. So, trapped is certainly hyperbole.

CTate
February 7th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Dunno about hyperbole. I seem to remember having a choice between KDE and Gnome after install back maybe 8- 10 years ago when I was running Red Hat 6.0 or whatever it was. And I have been running Gnome-Fallback on my other box for a few years now and I have customized it so much I forgot what Window Manager was actually running.

So it was a little jarring to have Ubuntu funnel me into Unity (if that's what I should be calling it) with no other options. And I had a heck of a time finding a terminal window also.

Probably rose-colored glasses. But still, Ubuntu seems to trying to get me to do things like purchase music via their interface, which isn't anything I have ever associated with Linux.