PDA

View Full Version : Installing xserver-xorg-lts-saucy HES on 12.04

ballem
February 6th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Hi, I have precise 12.04 fully up to date and with the lts-saucy kernel stack installed, and would like to upgrade xorg by adding the xserver-xorg-lts-saucy package. My problem is that this wants to remove not only the original xorg, but gnome-shell, gnome-session, nautilus, libreoffice, wine, virtualbox and cairo-dock, plus many other things. It also does not suggest the installation of xserver-xorg-core-lts-saucy so I would be left without an xserver. As I do not have unity installed, the removal of gnome-session especially seems a bit of a deal breaker, and whilst I could probably add these things back manually afterwards, is doing so going to conflict with xorg-lts-saucy again? This seems a very risky package to contemplate and I cannot but wonder if it is worthwhile? Surely the point of the HES is to enable LTS users to keep things up to date and in-line with new releases, but it seems if ones system deviates even slightly from the base release, installing the xorg HES risks breaking it quite badly. Advice and comments welcome