PDA

View Full Version : The Ship-it Ubuntu Kubuntu hand out thread!

Omnios
July 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM
Hi wondering where all these ship-it Ubuntu Kubuntu CD's are Going.
Anyways My first order was for 5 Ubuntu CD's
e
The First One when't to my Dad, he realy Liked Ubuntu 6.06.

I am keeping one For myself just in case.

The third one whent to a a computer store manager owner who said he will give it a try, Had an interesting converstion with the store owners on Mac Os, Free-BSD, and linux. Anyways think I got his interest when I mentioned it was number one on the distro watch and the synaptic package manager, and being easy to install being debian based.

Another Cd I gave to one of the big honchose of the Canadian MEntal Health Association, He playes around with builing computers on his spare time.

I have another CD to hand out today as a social worker is interested in DVD burning withut the Win handycap.

Anyways I Ordered 20 more Ubuntu CD's and 5 Kubuntu for a program I am working on but its not a 100% shure thing as of yet.
Anyways I am taking charge of making a CMHA clubhouse newsletter which countin on how I can manage it I will be in charge of this nesletter. Now this is also in the communications are that also teaches internet and omputer skills, anyways we have started talks to possibly start up a Ubuntu group to teach people how to use Ubuntu. Also I am looking inti hardware aspects of this hoping to hook up a client with a used computer at a reasonable price. Anyways the inportant thing will be the Ubuntu how to class.

ALso there is a store in a town called whitby that sells computers with Linux installed I think they use Fedore or red-hat. I am planning on taking a strip there and talk to them about Ubuntu.

One of the funny things that I noticed was that about a year ago if you mentioned Linux to someone they would look at you funny but now with the really bad viruses and spyware they seem more interested. Even stores are willing to talk about Ubuntu where as before they would bluntly say not interested.

Anyways what are your experiences with the ship-it cd's

Biltong (Dee)
July 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM
I hand mine out at work.
They are pretty resistant until I tell them its like Windows... but free. :-)

Lord Illidan
July 21st, 2006, 06:02 PM
I usually keep them to myself. (I only get 10). If someone wants a copy, I'll give him one. My time is too precious to go out handing cds and then solving all of their problems, as they cannot or willnot search the internet for help as I do.

However, I often give cds to my tech savvy relatives. Dunno what they do with them, though.

hellmet
July 21st, 2006, 06:18 PM
i give one to anyone who'd say the first letter of, say,
viruses,problem or Linux.
I personally installed Ubuntu on 5 computers including mine.
Everyone liked it..
many of them like the fact that everything
is pre-installed...and there are many programs
already ported to Linux..

Skia_42
July 21st, 2006, 06:35 PM
So this thread is absically about the blackmarket of Ubuntu Live Cd's undermining the absolute of Microsoft? cool... I will burn a cd for anybody who wants one if they give me a blank cd-r (I've had 4 people ask me for live cds)