PDA

View Full Version : cloud storage and NSA stuff

Randy_Long
February 4th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Hi all, I've been thinking about using the "cloud" for my documents. One thing that I've wondered about since Snowden blew the lid on the NSA, is how encrypted the various services (DROPBOX) comes to mind. Not to mention google drive. Basically I've always been a libertarian type (with LIBERAL tendencies), but this stuff is reallly starting to make me self-censor and a little paranoind about what I put in emails/facebook/whatever you post on the net.

Am I being a little too paranoind?

Thanks and I love this LINUX world!

CharlesA
February 4th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Run ownCloud and encrypt your stuff before you upload it.

buzzingrobot
February 4th, 2014, 02:27 PM
The internet is an open and public network, and it was designed and built to work that way. Any server -- including one you own or rent -- that sits on the internet is as vulnerable as the next, to spies or nosy admins (or bad admins).

Security and intelligence agencies -- all of them -- will see attempts to keep them from exploiting data on the internet as allowing their targets a safe haven in a public arena that they are barred from entering.

Even if the presidents and prime ministers they work for are feigning anger about the NSA, other security and intelligence agencies will do the same, limited only by funds and technology.

So, because the internet is public, the best way to protect your privacy is avoid putting private info on it.

Also, bear in mind that there is an awful lot of stuff on the net. The chances that any of your "stuff" will actually by looked at, unless you are being specifically targeted for another reason, is very tiny.

Dave_L
February 4th, 2014, 03:30 PM
And those of use who are on the NSA payroll have added you to their "list", so everything you do from now on will be watched. 8-)

Habitual
February 4th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Run ownCloud and encrypt your stuff before you upload it.
True, but for any service really.

CharlesA
February 4th, 2014, 07:44 PM
True, but for any service really.

Indeed. You could do the same with with Dropbox, but I kinda prefer having my stuff under my control. ;)

bashiergui
February 5th, 2014, 01:03 AM
Am I being a little too paranoind? No, not paranoid at all. It's a perfectly reasonable response to the facts.
Also, bear in mind that there is an awful lot of stuff on the net. The chances that any of your "stuff" will actually by looked at, unless you are being specifically targeted for another reason, is very tiny. Nope. My counter argument is simple: if the government has it then they will use it. If they do not have oversight then they will abuse it. Here's an excellent essay on why you should care that the NSA has all your Instagram pictures: http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/06/why-i-have-nothing-to-hide-is-the-wrong-way-to-think-about-surveillance/

electrohandyman501
February 5th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Another tid bit to roll around in the back of your mind.
Once you put something "on the net" in the cloud or not, there is no pulling it back, it's out there for good. Mirror servers, page cache's, backups, etc.......

nothingspecial
February 5th, 2014, 01:32 AM
The thought crossed my mind when Google offered to store 20,000 of my music files in the cloud. Then I realised is that the worst that could happen is that some google employees or secret surveillance operatives would know that their music collection is rubbish compared to mine.

Irihapeti
February 5th, 2014, 02:05 AM
NSA employee to boss:

"If you make me look through yet another collection of bad family photos, I'll *scream*."

monkeybrain20122
February 5th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Am I being a little too paranoind?

I think so. :)

I look at it at two levels. At the level of principle I think the spying is wrong and probably even illegal and needs to be stopped. The govt has to be called out if it abuses its power.

At the personal level I don't really care. It is not as if my life is so interesting that anyone would care. When I update my status on facebook there is hardly any response even from my FB friends. :) I think it is the same with most people. Your life is not so interesting unless you're a criminal or a celebrity. :) So the best way to avoid attentions is to act normally and blend in with the crowd. The more you try to hide your tracks the more you would draw attentions. People who go online a lot and get hung up about their privacy are like going to the nude beach and afraid of being seen naked. Fact is, most people are not as attractive in the nude as they think of themselves, no one would even notice you.

Of course if you have sensitive and incriminating stuffs don't put it on the cloud or social media (remember the idiots who photographed themselves with the loots after the London riot and posted the pictures on FB?). :)

bashiergui
February 5th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Summing up all the privacy opinions succinctly:
http://xkcd.com/1269/

QIII
February 7th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Thanks for your input, everyone.

Although we do allow discussions of how political events may affect the open source community, we do not allow discussion of the politics themselves. This thread has now gone there.

Closed.

cariboo
February 8th, 2014, 04:03 AM
I've removed the post with political content, and have re-opened the thread. If there is any mention of politics in the thread again, it will be closed without any notice.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 9th, 2014, 01:25 AM
NSA employee to boss:

"If you make me look through yet another collection of bad family photos, I'll *scream*."

:lolflag:

After working on a project that used "Big Data" techniques, I agree with CharlesA. I perfer to keep my data under my control.

Corporations are mining every bit of info they can get off the Internet. To make it worse, people don't read the terns-of-use/privacy policies when they sign up for some of this stuff. They also igore notifications of changes to the terns-of-use/privacy policies when they get them.