PDA

View Full Version : Searching for an embedded linux/technology related internship.

niekn
February 3rd, 2014, 11:39 AM
Hi there,

As the title said after 7 months of hanging on the cellphone and e-mailing with companies, I still haven't made any progress.
my Dutch school requires me to take part in an internship for 4-6 months starting next September containing anything related to embedded-systems and/or embedded Linux.
I have been searching and calling for months to get in somewhere, but most companies don't even reply to e-mails, my school doesn't offer any help at all.
There are some companies who offer mediation, but they refuse to help me because i'm doing HBO (Hoger Beroeps Onderwijs / Higher Vocational Education) which is just below university, and they only offer services to university-students :x
So I was wondering if someone here could help me.
my full resume can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tBMDS54oWpVtPwWVJSFhfYecSt06gjGj5vnhiY8kxnU/edit?usp=sharing
and the internship criteria:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1EARbuGbWkfWFY0U2tESW5yVUFtbnlCaFV4d0hIbnJ5Zlh3/edit?usp=sharing

@moderator, if there is a better place for this topic within the forums you may move it.

t0p
February 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
Having never been an intern, I don't understand why internships are so hard to find. You are offering to go hang round a work place, making coffee, doing the photocopying and other office drudge work, and you don't want paying for the privilege. How come internships are so gold-dust-like? And why is Chromium telling me I'm spelling internships incorrectly? (It seems to approve of "internment"; maybe we should call them that instead?)

niekn
February 4th, 2014, 09:40 AM
@t0p I don't know either, but I'm currently trying everything I can. Nationally or internationally it doesn't matter.

Lars Noodén
February 4th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Does the Linux Foundation (http://training.linuxfoundation.org/contact) have anything? They seem to have some job listings so it would follow naturally that they also list internships.

niekn
February 4th, 2014, 12:21 PM
linux foundation sounds good, and they're settled in Japan!! :guitar: but I can't reach out to them at the moment (different time zones), however through the Linux foundation I came across google which is looking for Linux-skilled interns so I applied for almost every google-office across the globe. still I'd love to hear more suggestions from here (i'm not there yet!)

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 4th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Having never been an intern, I don't understand why internships are so hard to find. You are offering to go hang round a work place, making coffee, doing the photocopying and other office drudge work, and you don't want paying for the privilege.

I was an engineering manager before I retired last year. The company I worked for had interns. Before we offered someone an internship the applicant had to meet some criteria. The criteria for each company varies. The company actually makes an investment in the intern. The training isn't absolutely without cost to the company. It cost the company money for the manager's and mentor's time spent training the intern. They look for someone with some of the skills they need, and potential to learn the others. They look for people that have a work ethic. They look for someone that may be worth hiring after the internship is complete. Companies do not do it out of kindness, they are looking to cultivate trained future employees.

Edit: I hope something in that paragraph I wrote helps the OP.