PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] upgrade says it will install 1054 M in 1 second

kimble2
February 3rd, 2014, 10:21 AM
I am being forced to upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10 because 13.04 has reached EOL and security updates have stopped. Upgrade says it will download "1054 M" I presume that means 1054 MB, and that it will do that in 1 second which is ridiculous as I am on dial-up (11 days more likely). 1054 MB is 50% more than the size of the .iso

What is going on?

Topsiho
February 3rd, 2014, 10:50 AM
In an upgrade more data has to be downloaded than the size of the .iso, as the later, extra, installed programs have to be updated too. So it is quite normal that during an update twice or more data has to be downloaded. How to do an upgrade (or download of an .iso) on a dial-up connection, i wouldn't know. Possibly you could acquire a .iso of 13.10 some other way, and install that. And update, and install the other programs after that. The update (necessary as the .iso is some months old now) may take a considerable download too.

Other thing: Ubuntu 13.10 will be supported for 9 months only, and expires next July.

In April the LTS version 14.04 will be distributed, and will be supported for 5 years. Maybe it is advisable for you (dial up connection, not on line all the time), to wait for this 14.04 version.

Topsiho