PDA

View Full Version : I don't belong on earth anymore...

neu5eeCh
February 3rd, 2014, 04:05 AM
I mean, I've been here almost half a century. I don't know. It's all gotten so easy, you know? The oxygen, the water, the fruit trees, the Goldilocks zone. Meh. I'm bored. I mean, I've done it all. I've frolicked in green fields. I swam in the oceans and I've flown through blue skies. But the challenge just isn't there anymore.

The earth? It's so... predictable.

So I was looking for recommendations. Mars is oxygen starved, lacks a magnetosphere and the soil is basted in ultra-violet, but somehow Mars seems to Earth-like. Sort of like going from XP to Cinnamon, if you know what I mean. I was thinking, maybe, something along the lines of Titan: vast expanses of methane seas with a surface variance of less than a few millimeters -- methane precipitation and ice that's harder than granite. Or maybe Venus, cloud formations of sulfuric acid and 900 plus degree surface temperatures - but somehow - Venus is just... well... so 20th century.

I've heard there are some startlingly extreme exo-planets, sort of like trying an obscure BSD, Bodhi-Linux or Haiku.

Have you got an extreme exo-planet you can recommend?

Don_Stahl
February 3rd, 2014, 04:12 AM
Well, Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. It's lonely, and cold as hell. Or so I hear.

CharlesA
February 3rd, 2014, 04:15 AM
Don't forget about the radiation!

robin7
February 3rd, 2014, 04:21 AM
Reisa!

neu5eeCh
February 3rd, 2014, 04:56 AM
Well, Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. It's lonely, and cold as hell. Or so I hear.

Meh, they say the same thing about Greenland. How different can it be?

llanitedave
February 3rd, 2014, 05:00 AM
Do you know any kids from there?

sisco311
February 3rd, 2014, 05:08 AM
Jupiter or any other gas giant should be a good place to walk on cloud nine, but if you are looking for a more exotic place you should try Solaris.

neu5eeCh
February 3rd, 2014, 05:08 AM
Mars or Greenland?

CharlesA
February 3rd, 2014, 05:30 AM
You always go to Pluto. It's a dwarf planet now right?

bashiergui
February 3rd, 2014, 05:37 AM
Depends on what you're looking for. Dagobah is an isolated swamp planet where you could spend your time alone. The MuLinux and Yellow Dogs, the guys that roll their own distros.

However if you prefer to be in the center of it all and study culture and politics, then Coruscant is your destination. Kind of the Ubuntu of planets, the one that draws people from all over.

PJs Ronin
February 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
Gallifrey... now that it's not all blow'd up and such.

Erik1984
February 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_c ?

Only 22 light years away.

t0p
February 3rd, 2014, 01:08 PM
Don't go fleeing Earth too soon! Half a century is nothing, I know trees and tortoises who'd consider you a whipper-snapper.

And there are lots of interesting places on Earth still: like the Mariana trench where you can experience pressure of 1,086 bars (15,750 psi), over 1000 times the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_Trench) (thanks Wikipedia); or you could do a few near-earth orbits like Sandra Bullock in that Gravity movie (no spoilers please, my ISP won't let me download the torrent :( )

In regards to Mars and Greenland: of course they're not alike. Or Greenland would be called "Redland" (or astronomers would refer to Mars as "the green planet"... or "the icy white planet", as Greenland is not green at all, it was so named only to try and tempt folk to go live there - propaganda, you gotta love it! Seriously, you gotta love it, or our robot overlords-I-mean-protectors may choose your next destination for you - Chiron Beta Prime, apparently not a popular Christmas vacation destination).

su:bhatta
February 3rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
Hem!! keep a towel real handy... &

Just take trip down to the Restaurant at the end of the Universe and have a pan-galactic gurgleblaster.....

Sure then, Earth will again feel like the place to be... :)

PJs Ronin
February 3rd, 2014, 02:20 PM
The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz.
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Credit to the Python gang

neu5eeCh
February 3rd, 2014, 03:44 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. Dagobah is an isolated swamp planet...

Yeah, but doesn't Dagobah have oxygen. :roll: I mean, Oxygen? It's so stable these days. I mean, a little oxygen and you get what? Mammals? Reptiles? An ocean full of DNA? [Yawn.] I mean, haven't we done that already? Used to be, you'd add a little oxygen and you could set the whole atmosphere on fire. Those were the good old days. Try to boot up a planet and fry the whole system. Sigh...

Note: So, I was going to try PEAROS. What happens? I come out of hyper-drive into a slurry of asteroids. Nothing there. Gone. Just. Gone. Then this weird moon. You know? Kinda' just... hangin' out there. I mean, nobody knows -- all secretive and stuff. I got a bad feeling, a baaaaaad feeling, and moved on. Nothing to see, right? Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

lykwydchykyn
February 3rd, 2014, 04:48 PM
Why limit yourself to planets? The universe is full of chunks of this or that with enough gravity to keep in in relative proximity for a while.

neu5eeCh
February 3rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
Why limit yourself to planets? The universe is full of chunks of this or that with enough gravity to keep in in relative proximity for a while.

True. Hadn't considered that. Sort of like having a kernel -- or a kernel of the kernel. A little gravity; but not too much... An altogether hostile environment...

lisati
February 3rd, 2014, 07:26 PM
Gallifrey... now that it's not all blow'd up and such.

And the curator of the museum does look strangely familiar. :D

neu5eeCh
February 3rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_c ?

Only 22 light years away.

Oh Kewel! 5 Earth masses! Now *that's what I'm talkin' about. Run the treadmill on *that* planet and you'll feel it, baby. :)

As to Greenland and Mars. Go to Mars' poles and there's snow. Go to Greenland and there's snow. So what if its frozen CO2 on Mars... it's all white. How different can it be?

Now put dry ice in a Gurgleblaster and we'll talk about it.