PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SMART capable but command failed

samaricsm
February 2nd, 2014, 12:24 AM
Every time I upgrade, it seems to get more and more difficult to do so. So, when the upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10 failed, I said no problem, I will just burn a DVD and do a clean install. Heck, I have been meaning to go to 64 bit any way. Now is a good time. Just to make it go smoother, I formatted the disk with Disks to all zeros, then rebuilt the partitions.

Reboot is a Red Screen Of Death (a dark red screen is displayed, no error messages, no text, no mouse pointer or prompts). ctrl-alt-Fx anything will not yield a text screen to log into. The three finger salute will not reboot. Power cycle. I hate having to power cycle. It really grates on my nerves. Boot into recovery mode. Cannot do ANYTHING. THE FILESYSTEM IS READ ONLY! How can I fix anything if I can't make any changes?

Reboot. Cannot even get to GRUB. The system halts with the message, "Ultramode DMA Mode-6, SMART capable but command failed." There aren't enough reboots in the world to change that message. Power cycle again. Have I mentioned how much I hate to power cycle? After cycling back to choice of RSOD or recovery mode.

One more power cycle and I re-install from scratch again, just in case I missed some error message. Once Install is complete, same two choices RSOD or recovery mode.

I use the install disk to bring up Lynux, the terminal screen for command access, but the filesystem is still RO. Why? I mean the Install disk wrote on the drive and it will do it again if I tell it to. Why am I not allowed to?

ASUS mother board
AMI BIOS M3A78-EM HDMI ACPI rev 1602
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad core 2.6 GHz
Dram clocking 800Hz
AMD North Bridge Rev B3
4096 MB RAM

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

oldfred
February 7th, 2014, 05:37 PM
If there are issues it converts to read only.
When you boot to recovery mode that is always ro, but you can reset to read/write.

I might try a full fsck from live installer.
#From liveCD so everything is unmounted,swap off if necessary, change example shown with partition sdb1 to your partition(s)
#e2fsck is used to check the ext2/ext3/ext4 family of file systems. -p trys fixes where response not required
sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sdb1
#if errors: -y auto answers yes for fixes needing response, also see man e2fsck
sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1

RJARRRPCGP
February 12th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Looks like the HDD may have a bad board. Good luck swapping the board on a hard disk drive when not experienced... :(

bc.haynes
February 13th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Did you check md5sums when you burned the CD/DVD?