PDA

View Full Version : I don't think I belong here anymore

steveneddy
February 1st, 2014, 06:17 PM
I've been an Ubuntu user since the beginning - and on Linux longer than that.

I was there in the beginning - and in the beginning it was fun - fun to hose your system - fun to rebuild it - fun to watch the child grow.

But then Ubuntu grew up.

It became - STABLE.

I have used nothing but the LTS since it's inception - and it was good!

I come to the forums for help maybe once a year - I just don't need that much help anymore.

I don't even know what to do here - I can't help anyone due to the fact that all of the old stuff I knew is not even a part of the new Ubuntu.

I'll still nose around every once in a while - but I just don't see myself as a recurring poster for very much longer.

steveneddy
February 1st, 2014, 06:18 PM
Dude - I joined the UF is December 2005!

What a ride, huh?!

ian-weisser
February 1st, 2014, 06:23 PM
"It's stable."

You know, that is the BEST reason for leaving the forum that I have read in a very long time.

CharlesA
February 1st, 2014, 06:35 PM
"It's stable."

You know, that is the BEST reason for leaving the forum that I have read in a very long time.

+1. :)

I'm still around even though I'm using Debian on my production boxes.

WinterMadness
February 1st, 2014, 07:56 PM
I wish Ubuntu would find stability and update its repos moreso.

I know its following the debian standard, but I really think most people would prefer up to date software.

bapoumba
February 1st, 2014, 08:08 PM
steveneddy, you wont get orange anywhere else :)

Bashing-om
February 1st, 2014, 08:13 PM
steveneddy, and all ;

If one is interested in the why it works, it is a never ending story. This system still evolves so rapidly, just keeping up with what changes is a chore.

Where else but here can one get "updated" info ?

and the saga continues

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 1st, 2014, 10:30 PM
@steveneddy,

I have seen you around for a long time on the forums. I liked your posts. However, I know how you feel.

I was helping people with problems that don't happen very often now. The problems people are having these days do not apply to my situation.

Enjoy reading the forum from time-to-time for some amusement.

You have already contributed more to the community than a lot of forum users.

QDR06VV9
February 2nd, 2014, 02:32 PM
@steveneddy,

I have seen you around for a long time on the forums. I liked your posts. However, I know how you feel.

I was helping people with problems that don't happen very often now. The problems people are having these days do not apply to my situation.

You have already contributed more to the community than a lot of forum users.

What a great thing to say!
Thats a compliment coming from you.;)
Oh steveneddy (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=62106) hope to see you drop in from time to time.

steveneddy
February 2nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the responses! Wow! Something that to me was unexpected.

I LOVE Ubuntu! And I used to live on these forums.

I made so many friends here - and many, I see, are still around.

My PM box was full of good things to say and great images of times past.

I'm not going away - I do wish I could solve more problems for people - but I suppose the best advise is to learn Linux if you are able.
Then - use the LTS - in case if failure you will know what to do.

I miss coming here sometimes.

What has happened since December 2005?

I have become a grandfather 3 times over.

I was a truck driver for 18 months - now THAT was an adventure.

I met my wife online - plentyoffish.com - and we married when I came off of the road as a truck driver.
We will be married three years - together for four years - this February.

She is hooked on Ubuntu!

I have started a tube amp company - Deadwood Amps - and we are having moderate success building and selling the old tube amps designed and copied from the great amps from the 50's and 60's.

I have been getting back into the local music scene - the goal being to be a professional musician again. (I was a touring pro back in my 20's)

All this time I have used no other OS than Ubuntu.
The good, the bad, the ups, the downs.

The nVidia drivers that would drive you to drinking.

The graphics that wiggled, transparency, borderless windows and terminals, the web server technology that ROCKS!

Remember the cube? Does Ubuntu still do that?

What great memories I have from those experiences.

Ubuntu - Stable - Reliable - Dependable

I couldn't have been who I became without all of you! -Ubuntu!

rewyllys
February 2nd, 2014, 05:48 PM
Hurray for tube amps!. And a double hurray for getting your wife hooked on Ubuntu!! (I haven't achieved that, unfortunately.)

nothingspecial
February 2nd, 2014, 05:54 PM
Well, you've not applied for Ubuntu membership yet .....

bashiergui
February 2nd, 2014, 06:57 PM
Are you a member, nothingspecial? ;)

What non-tangible things would membership offer (aside from the tangible things listed in the stickies/wikis)?

lykwydchykyn
February 2nd, 2014, 07:41 PM

Exactly how I feel. It's harder too if you don't use Unity.

CharlesA
February 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM

What non-tangible things would membership offer (aside from the tangible things listed in the stickies/wikis)?

A bunch of stuff.. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership

Domain discounts ftw!

steveneddy
February 2nd, 2014, 08:17 PM

LOL - I sometimes wasn't the most pleasant person and got myself into trouble for it while on these forums.

I enjoy being able to come here and nose around a little - see what's changed and what has stayed the same.

Kinda like going back to your old neighborhood and seeing that the WalMart was built on that piece of land that no one ever wanted to be developed - and it's surrounded by new homes.

Ubuntu rocks! - and it is nice to see her grow up so nicely.

nothingspecial
February 2nd, 2014, 09:32 PM

Yep, I am.

The biggest 'non-tangible' thing membership offers is an orange glow. Of course there are also tangible things....

Bashing-om
February 2nd, 2014, 09:36 PM
Oh yes that "orange glow" ^, it is warm too !

just newly arrived

bashiergui
February 3rd, 2014, 01:50 AM
Yep, I am.

The biggest 'non-tangible' thing membership offers is an orange glow. Of course there are also tangible things....I said "tangible", not "tangerine." :P

You're a member? Not through the forum though?

CharlesA
February 3rd, 2014, 02:01 AM
I said "tangible", not "tangerine." :P

They are, it just doesn't show. ;)

I am a member as well. :p

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 3rd, 2014, 02:06 AM

Yes, nothingspecial is a member. Why does it matter how nothingspecial got membership?

Some people were forum staff before the idea of Ubuntu Membership was invented.

bashiergui
February 3rd, 2014, 02:34 AM
Yes, nothingspecial is a member. Why does it matter how nothingspecial got membership?

Some people were forum staff before the idea of Ubuntu Membership was invented.
I'm not passing judgement, just didn't find a membership thread for him. That and he's not sporting the fancy member rings!

Iowan
February 3rd, 2014, 02:41 AM
With only a few exceptions (that need to be adjusted), only one set of "rings" is displayed.

su:bhatta
February 3rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
Yay for Tube amps !!!!! :)

Bucky Ball
February 3rd, 2014, 01:34 PM
... he's not sporting the fancy member rings!

Even better, OGW is staff emeritus ...

To the OP: Currently turning my old desktop into a Linux DAW. Yea, I have Protools, Cubase, Sibelius and all that, but I've been wanting to learn more about the possibilities with Linux and pro audio just as soon as I had the time. I finally have some!

Just getting my head around Linux, MIDI and jack at the moment. Been a muso for years myself and love the Deadwood Tubes idea. Got a website? I'll have a look.

* Update: Just looking at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shXkT3mwBlo

Nice warm sound. Is that a Fender strat or copy? Can't tell from vid.

t0p
February 3rd, 2014, 01:36 PM
Like the OP I don't need to visit the support forums very often nowadays, what with Ubuntu just working and all; and I can't offer much help in the support forums either as my meagre tech know-how seems mostly irrelevant. On the occasions when I do find myself visiting the forums, it's mostly the Cafe... which has slowed down so much I don't know how much longer I'll bother. The other chat forum ("Linux and other OS"? I'm terrible with names, though I never forget forget a face ha ha) is more lively, so maybe I'll keep coming for that. But on the whole, I'm a "me too!" on this. Ubuntu is too easy. It's like whatsisface said, the best operating system is one that you don't notice. The most noticeable thing about Ubuntu is that it's unnoticeable.

steveneddy
February 8th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Keep us posted about the Linux DAW - I've been wanting to do that for years!

steveneddy
February 8th, 2014, 03:12 PM

Bucky Ball
February 8th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Corr. My first instrument's bass and that looks tasty.