PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] uninstall bloat-sam

mayagrafix
January 31st, 2014, 06:23 AM
This old laptop runs great on LXDE. It's only intended use is for viewing PDF documents. So do I need to remove any other OS/desktop environment (Gnome, Unity etc) or is it recommended to leave the previously installed alone even if I do not use them.

Likewise with other software (Libreoffice, Shotwell etc). I have no plans to use them on this laptop, just the PDF Document Viewer.

Original install is Ubuntu 12.04, then added LXDE.

Thanks for your support.

Bucky Ball
January 31st, 2014, 07:26 AM
No, you should be able to get rid of the desktop environments without any issue. Just keep an eye on what it is going to uninstall. You MAY need to install lubuntu-desktop to replace some of the things that get dragged out by the other DEs.

As for the apps, kill them. Libreoffice, Shotwell, etc. Just remove. The way to go if you were starting from scratch would be to do a minimal install then add lxde and evince (or whatever PDF viewer you're using). And that's it. (Naturally, you would need a couple of other bits and pieces, but not many).

kansasnoob
January 31st, 2014, 08:04 AM
There is an archived method here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelubuntuprecise

But it will remove things like Firefox which may not be desirable.

My personal rule is, if it works don't try to fix it :D

sudodus
January 31st, 2014, 08:11 AM
My personal rule is, if it works don't try to fix it :D

+1 :-)

If you need the disk space, then you can remove packages, that you don't use.

mayagrafix
January 31st, 2014, 06:14 PM
Thanks for ur help. I have 2 newer PC's which are full featured, work stations. This one I re-purposed to have PDF doc viewer showing manuals (statically) for my own comfort without having to switch windows or desktops.

Again, Thanx for the answers.