PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Where is icewm?

richardbrucebaxter
January 31st, 2014, 05:40 AM
Hi,

I am new to Ubuntu (long term Redhat user) and am attempting to install icewm. When installing Ubuntu 13.1 on this Ultrabook I was working off the assumption that they supported icewm (eg https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IceWM). Can someone please point me in the right direction? Is there a contact responsible for updating the (universe) repository?

sudo apt-get install icewm

gives "E: Unable to locate package icewm"

Cheers,

Richard

deadflowr
January 31st, 2014, 05:47 AM
You should usually run an package list update first

sudo apt-get update
then try installing.
The package is there.
You might need to run an upgrade(actually just an update)

sudo apt-get upgrade
if you get a list of held packages, you could try

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If you get any errors, post them
(use code tags)

richardbrucebaxter
January 31st, 2014, 06:36 AM
Thanks very much Deadflowr,

It worked fine after running "sudo apt-get update"

Excellent support here...

Bucky Ball
January 31st, 2014, 07:22 AM
We try. ;)

Please mark the thread as solved to help others by following the link in my signature. Thanks.

richardbrucebaxter
February 3rd, 2014, 09:30 AM
Thanks BuckyBall

(Note I am still attempting to locate and initialise the bluetooth-applet and gnome-volume-manager applets in Ubuntu icewm; but that will likely require another thread. Yet apart from this and an inability to control the backlight in icewm on this Samsung Series 5 the Ubuntu 13.1 installation has gone very well. Almost entirely positive. The repositories in Ubuntu are very comprehensive).

Bucky Ball
February 3rd, 2014, 10:58 AM
Excellent to hear. Yes, post new threads with descriptive titles in the appropriate areas of the forum for maximum impact. ;)

Desktop Environments would be a good start for anything ice-specific.

PS: You could install Bluez. Not sure what Ice uses by default.

richardbrucebaxter
February 17th, 2014, 03:44 AM
Note I found a workaround to the missing gnome applet and brightness configuration problem (installing mate-bluetooth-applet, mate-power-manager and indicator-brightness). Icewm is still not respecting my gnome power manager settings (the lid close action is ignoring all dconf-editor settings and defaulting to "suspend", like before logon), but have requested help for this in another thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2205979).